Clermont

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BJ.
Super User
Super User

Re: Clermont

Post by BJ. »

TigerLad wrote:Immense performance from the lads, they'll be devastated that they couldn't get the win but they should know how proud we all are of them. Let's welcome them back vs Wasps next week and give them the support they need to take all their demons out on Wasps.
Indeed. I thought we were going to nick it but, in the end, the speed (or lack) of the whistle was too much. I'm proud of the lads and I am starting to feel sorry for the Pests next weekend (I never thought I'd hear myself say that!)
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Proud of the boys. Let's now go on a 6 game unbeaten run! Thought Scully was outstanding and Williams played way beyond his young years. Despite giving them a 16 point lead I think we could have beaten them if we were at full strength. If we had Cole, Croft and Parling available I think we could have taken the game. Our front row needs special mention Logo, Marcos and Tom literally gave their all and you could not ask for more.

Disappointed with the result but not the teams effort.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

Great effort. What more could one ask? (except perfection, but alas...)
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

kingol22 wrote:Very good effort. Main downside from the game for me was Waldrom, came on and within minutes gave away a mindless penalty and yellow card that may well have cost us the game :smt013 :smt013 :smt013
Agree as does everyone in my house - Exeter are welcome to him.

Good performances everywhere else on the pitch but why do our crucial games mirror our season???? Slow to start then crank it up at the end. Can we please try and start games/ seasons with a bit of wakefulness/go forward?
Last edited by Old Hob on Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hinckley Bob »

Smurphswillgetya wrote:Our front row needs special mention Logo, Marcos and Tom literally gave their all and you could not ask for more.
I just hope that there are no repercussions for the front row after that effort, they all seemed to delay coming off although carrying some injuries. Logo is particularly important in the coming weeks and yet he has been giving 110% every game with very little respite.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Old Hob wrote:
Can we please try and start games/ seasons with a bit of wakefulness/go forward?
If you really want this for next season join me in this exhortation to the powers that be:
"Please can we have a fully fit squad for the whole season, please could Williams not be called up for Wales, please could our International players be out of favour with the national coaches". I think this Tigers squad is young and beginning to come together and could dominate for years to come. I was a little worried about us losing Toby but the last 2 games have shown that we could have a star in the making.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Don't understand why everyone is getting on the refs case. Anyway, great effort and performance from the boys. Should have scored a try from that early turnover and break, gave away too many pens in the first half but eh oh we could have been overwhelmed at a couple of points. Clears the decks for another Prem push and it look forward to having another go next year :smt023
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Don't have sky sport so not seen the game, but it sounds like our team left nothing on the pitch, shame we lost.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
jonlin
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jonlin »

ourla wrote:Don't understand why everyone is getting on the refs case. Anyway, great effort and performance from the boys. Should have scored a try from that early turnover and break, gave away too many pens in the first half but eh oh we could have been overwhelmed at a couple of points. Clears the decks for another Prem push and it look forward to having another go next year :smt023
On two occasions when Tait but up the high ball and on these occasions he had his runs blocked. After the second referee could be heard saying to Rugurie, tell your players to cut out the blocking. Two clear kickball penalty offence which with his comments the referee saw as offences but did not penalise.WHY.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The injury to Cole and the impact of the salary cap when Casto left meant that we couldn't bring on international class replacements for Ayerza & Mulipola.
They took their props of and brought on experienced internationals.
Fatigue took its toll when defending the driving maul but TTE what were you thinking?

It was remarkable we pushed them so hard.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

mol2 wrote:but TTE what were you thinking?
I'm not sure he was thinking.

As Brian Moore often says "That was just dull!"
Jon
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Jon »

What a cracking game. Scully was great, Logo left everything on the field and Williams had a brilliant game. It will certainly be interesting with him against Burns for the 10 shirt next season.

Hope everyone returns from France uninjured, and we can welcome Wasps to WR next week and keep up this run of form.
Dave
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Dave »

The first half we just kept giving them possession which they happily kicked back at us and pinned us in our half.

Second half was amazing. They stuck in and ground it out. There was just too much to do.

Their rolling maul was killing us throughout the game. I know it was finally Waldrom who got the card, but it was only a matter of time. We had nothing to stop them once the got going. We lost a lot of points to them from this.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Dave wrote:We had nothing to stop them once the got going. We lost a lot of points to them from this.
The time we didn't engage anyone and Ayerza walked around the back and tackled the man Rolland (incorrectly) awarded Clermont a penalty for offside/in the side.

Couldn't stop it moving and couldn't use legal means to prevent it starting.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Agreed!

Two laws I would be confused about if I was playing now.

When is a maul a maul and when is it obstruction? I think I now see things that used to be called "truck and trailer" going un-penalised?

The other is "fair release". If he's holding on on the deck he's holding on. I should be able to compete for the ball. Again I've seen cases which are very inconsistent.....Ben at the Gardens being one. Can't we just simplify things for us dull fat people????

...............or anyone else for that matter
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"