Owen Williams or Freddie Burns

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Lea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Owen Williams or Freddie Burns

Post by Lea »

I have to admit I am getting more and more impressed by Mr Williams and have never been impressed by Mr Burns

what does anyone else think? and are Tigers still thinking of signing Mr Burns?
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Owen Williams or Freddie Burns

Post by kpj tiger »

I think Freddie could be great for Leicester, However its a risky move for both party's as we don't want to end of like Saints last year where we keep chopping between 2 fly halves although that said Im not sure Cockers is foolish enough to fall into that problem, Both will offer different abilities so its hard to say who will fit better but for the start of the season I imagine the shirt will be firmly Owens
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Ford. :smt005

What is good is we have insurance on either one.

2 very different styles of 10s both have shown very good quality it like Myler and Lamb for saints expect with talented 10s. :smt018

I would say Williams is number 1 due to current form but that's not to say Burns cant overtake him and the way Williams is playing who knows if Wales might come knocking to give him game time thus allowing burns a chance to show what he can do.

Nice to see options about.
With Williams, Burns and hopefully Bai we could have some real depth at 10 which we havn't had for a bit.

I will say I cant see them both staying in 2 seasons one will come out as the main 10 and I think the other will move, but then we have the likes of Bryant and Hargreaves hopefully coming through. and the 10 market will hopefully be deeper due to not being a WC year.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

If you have never been impressed by Burns, you havent seen much of him, particularly before this season. Gifted lad. Few weeks at Oval Park should do the trick.

Will be nice to have 2 talented flyhalfs with different styles competing. Owen definitely in pole position though.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

For anybody who doubts Freddie Burns - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2EWEfQML9k
AlphaWiseOwl

Post by AlphaWiseOwl »

After the Gloucs game at Welford Road, we walked back through Mandella Park with some of their supporters. They acknowledged they should have played much better but said we were welcome to Freddie Burns as he was their worst player at the moment and had hardly been at the races all season. I would have to agree and for the life of me I cannot see why we want him. Owen Williams was great against the Saints yesterday, calm, assured and accurate. I hope Cockers does not insult him by playing Burns ahead of him next season. Burns has to earn his place and as far as I can see, at the moment, he would struggle to get into our Academy side.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Burns no doubt has the ability, but for some reason he's failing this season - obviously few 10's look good behind a poor pack. If anyone can bring him round, it's us. A change of environment, team mates and a better structure with a quality set of forwards should sort him out. Hopefully, his poor current form will mean that he's cheap.

He will start behind Williams, if OW can continue his run. After a spell in the Tigers machine though, I expect Burns to come out all gun's blazing and we will have an embarrassment of riches!
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Well Anthony Allen was a poor buy from Glos and I can't see Burns being any better a buy! :smt003
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

Vital to have two international class tens in your squad. Saints suffered yesterday with Myler missing whilst we had two class acts available. Fully expect Burns to do well here but he will have to be good to oust Owen.
Mersey Tiger

Post by Mersey Tiger »

A question for those on this Forum who have better knowledge than me:

Obviously both Williams' and Burns' best position is Fly Half. However, do either or both of them also have a "second" position where they can also play?

For example, Toby he can play Inside Centre if he does not play Fly Half, and I think that Stimmo was a Fly Half before coverting to Full Back.

If either or both have a "second" position then this can only add to the flexibility and combinations available to Cockers, and could see a situation where BOTH Williams and Burns play (obviously only when circumstances dictate).

Thoughts welcomed!
Neil Back is the Greatest!
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Williams has earned the shirt, Burns has yet to.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Think Burns can play full back aswell, Williams to me is an out and out fly half, it will be a good battle next year, both have lots of talent and either could step into the category of world class!!
amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by amazing tiger »

would definetly pick williams looks like he has grown into the ten shirt
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Why worry we have to quality fly halves.

Burns is clearly paying the price for leaving Glaws (scapegoat for the feeble pack) - which has hit his England ambitions hard. it also makes it difficult for Tigers to try and work out who is their first choice fly half next season.

Both are highly talented and young.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Mersey Tiger wrote: and I think that Stimmo was a Fly Half before coverting to Full Back.
Stimmo was a fullback/occasional wing all the way - certainly by the time he was winning with Newcastle. Smurph on the other hand played a few games at 10 at the start of his Tigers career. :smt001

As for Williams, he's earned the 10 shirt. Burns will have to fight it off him, but who knows what may happen with injuries etc.

The other consideration is that if Williams breaks into the Wales squad, the regions will be clamouring to get him back over the border when his contract is up.

:smt001