The Champions Cup - Fixtures announced (Updated)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

h's dad
Super User
Super User

Re: the Champions Cup

Post by h's dad »

biffer wrote:Can you give me one example of an announcement of sponsorship before contracts are signed?
Quite often these thing become common knowledge before the official announcement, especially if there is delay due to the final structure being uncertain. Bill might be looking for a signed copy of the final contract but I'll be happy with a confident name. The absence of one suggests that Pro12 might be over a barrel.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

h's dad wrote:
biffer wrote:Can you give me one example of an announcement of sponsorship before contracts are signed?
Quite often these thing become common knowledge before the official announcement, especially if there is delay due to the final structure being uncertain. Bill might be looking for a signed copy of the final contract but I'll be happy with a confident name. The absence of one suggests that Pro12 might be over a barrel.
Names I've heard were Turkish Airlines as said above, Mercedes, Heineken and Guinness.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

biffer wrote:
h's dad wrote:
Names I've heard were Turkish Airlines as said above, Mercedes, Heineken and Guinness.
I understand that Heineken have ruled themselves out and Guinness are reluctant due to conflict with existing club sponsors. of course these could be negotiating ploys.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Pretty sure we'll hear in the next fortnight.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

In the meantime we could have a competition to suggest appropriate sponsors!
It would have to be a bomb-proof firm that keeps going regardless of actual performance (bit like Barclays board).
Heineken would be appropriate since they purvey widdle marketed as lager yet keep making profits.
(PS this is a bit of mild joshing or banter not a vitriolic dig at some tetchy posters)
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

jgriffin wrote:In the meantime we could have a competition to suggest appropriate sponsors!
It would have to be a bomb-proof firm that keeps going regardless of actual performance (bit like Barclays board).
Heineken would be appropriate since they purvey widdle marketed as lager yet keep making profits.
(PS this is a bit of mild joshing or banter not a vitriolic dig at some tetchy posters)
Might I, in the spirit of banter, suggest Disney as an appropriate sponsor?

:smt026
Still keeping the faith!
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

jgriffin wrote:In the meantime we could have a competition to suggest appropriate sponsors!
It’s a shame nicotine companies aren’t allowed to sponsor any more as they could have Camel (as in a horse designed by a committee).
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Paddy Power?
Still keeping the faith!
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Bill W (2) wrote:Paddy Power?
I wouldn't bet against them!
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

At the match today, Jeremy Anderson Esq., suggested to me that Ann Summers might be appropriate!

:smt003
Still keeping the faith!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Inappropriate, Bill. Ann Summers bras have great support throughout the range (says Mrs G) and their products are ripe with sporting enthusiasm and erotic promise. Can't see Connacht-Glasgow on a wet weekend in December being an event to be associated with - the brewers droop of European rugby.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

jgriffin wrote:Inappropriate, Bill. Ann Summers bras have great support throughout the range (says Mrs G) and their products are ripe with sporting enthusiasm and erotic promise. Can't see Connacht-Glasgow on a wet weekend in December being an event to be associated with - the brewers droop of European rugby.
Mrs Anderson was present when Jeremy made the suggestion and she did not object.

It could then be the ASPRO 12.

:smt005
Still keeping the faith!
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

So are we going to have 4 groups of five with the top two qualifying from each
group? If so qualification will just be as hard if not harder, as you could end up with 3 or heaven forbid 4 quality teams in 1 group!
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

No, it's five groups of four.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

After the weekend results, the pro12 places are pretty much decided. Ten points between sixth and seventh, and the Scarlets in sixth have a substantially easier run in - Cardiff twice and the Dragons whereas edinburgh have Zebre away, Glasgow away, Leinster away and Munster at home.

So the pro12 teams in the euro cup next year will be

Leinster
Munster
Ulster
Ospreys
Glasgow
Scarlets
Treviso

Top six in the AP looks equally settled with

Saracens
Saints
Tigers
Barf
Quins
Sale

Top14 far more up in the air though. Clermont, Montpellier and Toulon are there, but then it could be any three from Racing Metro, Toulouse, Castres, Brive, Bordeaux Begles and Stade Francais.

Playoff spots wide open, but generally it looks like a tougher competition than previously. There will be some absolutely stinking groups out of this - particularly with no seeds other than the three champions. Could end up with something like Leicester, Toulon, Munster and Ospreys.or how do you fancy Leinster and two French teams?