The Champions Cup - Fixtures announced (Updated)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

The Champions Cup - Fixtures announced (Update)

Post by wormus »

The final of the European Rugby Champions Cup will be played on 2nd May 2015. At TWICKENHAM and not in Italy as proposed by the then sponsors Heineken.
Source :- Daily Mail Sports Section.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: the Champions Cup

Post by biffer »

wormus wrote:The final of the European Rugby Champions Cup will be played on 2nd May 2015. At TWICKENHAM and not in Italy as proposed by the then sponsors Heineken.
Source :- Daily Mail Sports Section.
It's in the telegraph too. Disappointing IMO. No doubt it'll be Paris next year as well.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Confirmed on official site

http://www.epcrugby.com/eng/news/28894.php

To be fair, the final of the HEC has only been at Twickenham once in the last 7 years, compared to three times in Cardiff. I'm presuming it was in Cardiff so often as that was the best guarantee of a neutral venue.

I'm just suspicious that we'll start to see a rotation where London and Paris each get the final every three years with Dublin, Cardiff, Edinburgh and Rome getting one final every three years between them.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I suspect a safe bat being played for now. I would also suspect that venues farther away than Twickers and Paris will be on the agenda if the European-wide growth of interest occurs.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

If Twickers makes the most £ why have it anywhere else?

PS is there a Welsh Participation ageeement yet?
Still keeping the faith!
InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by InGuinnessVeritas »

biffer wrote:I'm just suspicious that we'll start to see a rotation where London and Paris each get the final every three years with Dublin, Cardiff, Edinburgh and Rome getting one final every three years between them.
Why not? Each competing league takes it in turn to host the final. According to the great god Wikipedia, the capacities are approx:
Twickenham - 82K
Stade de France - 81.3K
Millennium Stadium - 74.5K
Stadio Olimpico - 72.7K
Murrayfield - 67.1K
Lansdowne Road - 51.7K

Couple these figures with the problems of:
a) trying to use Stadio Olimpico (or the San Siro) during the football season
b) it is likely at least one French side will reach the Champions Cup final and their supporters have, in the past, been reluctant to travel as far as Edinburgh and Dublin (remember the finals of 2003 and 2005?)

If the EPCR wants to maximise its revenue potential, then it would only be logical to use the first three of these grounds on a more regular basis than the others.

Also, I'd rather see the two finals played in different cities.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Good I'm pleased that when Tigers play in the final our fans will only have to travel to London.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Noddy555 wrote:Good I'm pleased that when Tigers play in the final our fans will only have to travel to London.
Makes it expensive having to go twice in one month :smt030 :smt027
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Fixtures announced - back to back with Toulon in December

http://www.epcrugby.com/eng/european-ru ... NG&round=2

18th October - Ulster (H)
25th October - Scarlets (A)
05/06/07 December - Toulon (H)
12/13/14 December - Toulon (A)
16/17/18 January - Scarlets (H)
23/24/25 January - Ulster (A)
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Jose
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: The Champions Cup - Fixtures announced (Updated)

Post by Jose »

Interesting to see that BT Sports have sacrificed Saints and Sale to Sky and kept Tigers and the London clubs for both of the first 2 rounds of fixtures. Wonder if this trend will continue throughout the pool rounds? Selfishly, I hope it will as would be a right pain if Toulon vs Tigers or Ulster vs Tigers ended up on Sky now I've counted on never having to donate any money to Murdoch's hideous empire again.
Joe The Tigers Fan
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Pretty happy with that… game on in terms of Ulster home 1st and then Scarlets away 2nd. Win those 2 and we have a chance… lose either and I fancy we won't make the quarters. Only shame is Toulon might be nice in October… but not December!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Win the first three and we sit pretty, tough group for anyone to get out of, but we will.

COME ON YOU TIGERRRRRRrrrrsssss

:smt027 :smt027 :smt027
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Toulon is lovely in December, don't panic,

Another bright side to all this, if I have my calculations right we also avoid the curse of sky sports and Barnes and co in the 1st two rounds........
Less is more....
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Oh well its prexmas to France and Mid January to Ulster, would have preferred the other way round, let's hope for good results against Scarletts and Ulster and fingers crossed against Toulon. Still one comforting thought, no Johnny Boy wonder to face this year, thank god for small mercies.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Jose wrote:Interesting to see that BT Sports have sacrificed Saints and Sale to Sky and kept Tigers and the London clubs for both of the first 2 rounds of fixtures. Wonder if this trend will continue throughout the pool rounds? Selfishly, I hope it will as would be a right pain if Toulon vs Tigers or Ulster vs Tigers ended up on Sky now I've counted on never having to donate any money to Murdoch's hideous empire again.
The Toulon games and the Ulster game will be very high on BT's priority list, so I think at least three out of four of the remaining games will also be on BT.

Disappointingly little coverage of the Challenge cup. One game from the first round and one game from the second round. Very poor indeed.