The Champions Cup - Fixtures announced (Updated)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigertez

Re: the Champions Cup

Post by tigertez »

I know that EPCR are a fairly new organisation, and I also hazard a guess that BT Sport and Sky are probably bartering to get the best/right fixtures and kick off times to suit their schedules.

However I find it quite poor that, by the time the opening fixtures are announced (supposedly on Tuesday), it is quite possible we could face Toulon away - which would then be only 9.5 weeks away. That's unfair to our fans, or indeed any fans that face a long away trip on the opening weekend.

I know we get less time for knock-out fixtures, but these are group games so I don't really feel it's an excuse. The draw was made on June 10th, so I don't quite understand the delay. :smt017
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

tigertez wrote:However I find it quite poor that, by the time the opening fixtures are announced (supposedly on Tuesday), it is quite possible we could face Toulon away - which would then be only 9.5 weeks away. That's unfair to our fans, or indeed any fans that face a long away trip on the opening weekend.

I know we get less time for knock-out fixtures, but these are group games so I don't really feel it's an excuse. The draw was made on June 10th, so I don't quite understand the delay. :smt017
Firstly, to correct things, again. Since yesterday, I have seen numerous Twitter postings by EPCR. All say that the fixtures will be "next week", not necessarily Tuesday. The venue(s) for the finals is all that is definitely slated for Tuesday.

Secondly, with regards to the time it is taking to sort out the fixtures, I think that EPCR should be cut some slack. ERC had been doing this for what, 15-16 years, while this is EPCR's first attempt. Also, the negotiations about replacing ERC took so long that EPCR has had very little time to get itself up and running. I'll wait and see how they get on with the later fixtures and next year before passing any judgement.
tigertez

Post by tigertez »

Cagey Tiger wrote:Firstly, to correct things, again. Since yesterday, I have seen numerous Twitter postings by EPCR. All say that the fixtures will be "next week", not necessarily Tuesday.
You're not really correcting anything, you're giving your opinion based on what you've seen or read. The fixtures may (or may not) be announced on Tuesday. That's why I said "supposedly".
Cagey Tiger wrote:I think that EPCR should be cut some slack. ERC had been doing this for what, 15-16 years, while this is EPCR's first attempt. Also, the negotiations about replacing ERC took so long that EPCR has had very little time to get itself up and running.
I appreciate it's a new organisation (although I could mention the reports of EPCR sub-contracting ERC staff for this season), that's why I didn't lay the blame solely at EPCR's door. There are probably many factors as to why the fixtures haven't been announced, but there's no denying it's not great for the fans of a team who'll end up getting a long trip on the opening weekend.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Announcement on Thursday

http://www.epcrugby.com/eng/news/28887.php

but only of rounds 1 and 2. Pretty poor IMO, should be able to finalise 3 and 4 as well, surely?
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I got an email telling me the fixtures would be announced on Tuesday as well as the finals venue/s. I am now told it will be Thursday, may well have an email at home telling me so, not checked.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

http://tier2rugby.blogspot.co.uk/2014/0 ... fying.html

Just got sent this about the qualifying for the Challenge Cup as well. A month old, but it's the first thing I've seen anywhere purporting to give the structure of what will happen for the FIRA teams qualification process.
Arvski

Post by Arvski »

As the rights are being split between BT/ Sky Sports, and BT already offer HD as part of their package; does anyone know if Sky will now include HD in their standard package, or if I'll have to pay extra for it?
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

tigertez wrote:
Cagey Tiger wrote:Firstly, to correct things, again. Since yesterday, I have seen numerous Twitter postings by EPCR. All say that the fixtures will be "next week", not necessarily Tuesday.
You're not really correcting anything, you're giving your opinion based on what you've seen or read. The fixtures may (or may not) be announced on Tuesday. That's why I said "supposedly".
No, I was not giving my opinion. I was quoting communications from EPCR.

From EPCR website (link above). Note second paragraph, although whether that will be the exact dates/times...

The fixtures, dates, venues and kick-off times for Rounds 1 and 2 of the inaugural European Rugby Champions Cup and the European Rugby Challenge Cup will be announced on Thursday at 2.00pm by organisers EPCR.

The fixtures for Rounds 3 to 6 will also be confirmed.

The new-look tournaments feature clubs which have qualified for the first time on merit from their respective domestic leagues - the Aviva Premiership, the Top 14 and the Guinness PRO12.

View the European Rugby Champions Cup pools
View the European Rugby Challenge Cup pools

The pool stages of both tournaments will be played over six weekends - two in October, two in December and two in January 2015. (See below). The quarter-finals will be played on the weekend of 3/4/5 April, the semi-finals on 17/18/19 April, and the finals on the weekend of 1/2 May 2015.

Pool stage weekends
Round 1: 16/17/18/19 October 2014
Round 2: 23/24/25/26 October 2014
Round 3: 4/5/6/7 December 2014
Round 4: 11/12/13/14 December 2014
Round 5: 15/16/17/18 January 2015
Round 6: 22/23/24/25 January 2015

Knockout stage weekends
Quarter-finals: 3/4/5 April 2015
Semi-finals: 17/18/19 April 2015
Finals: 1/2 May 2015
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Arvski wrote:As the rights are being split between BT/ Sky Sports, and BT already offer HD as part of their package; does anyone know if Sky will now include HD in their standard package, or if I'll have to pay extra for it?
BT Sport charge extra for HD. They chucked it in for free last year if you had BT Broadband etc.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Cagey Tiger wrote:
Arvski wrote:As the rights are being split between BT/ Sky Sports, and BT already offer HD as part of their package; does anyone know if Sky will now include HD in their standard package, or if I'll have to pay extra for it?
BT Sport charge extra for HD. They chucked it in for free last year if you had BT Broadband etc.

All included on Virgin media.
Arvski

Post by Arvski »

Thanks, may need to double check what package etc I have. Either way, I'll probably have to pay extra for it with Sky.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

biffer wrote:
Cagey Tiger wrote:

All included on Virgin media.
Oops, sorry. Forgot about Virgin. I live out in the sticks (a town of "only" 15,000) so we don't figure in Virgin's plans. Have to put up with Sky :smt019
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Looks like fixtures are to be announced on Thursday at 2-00pm according to Tigérs news
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by InGuinnessVeritas »

Cagey Tiger wrote:BT Sport charge extra for HD. They chucked it in for free last year if you had BT Broadband etc.
That's right. We've now started paying £3/month for BT Sports and ESPN HD.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

It is still ERC staff running the competition this season, albeit in the name of the new organisation. The delay according to Nick Mullins of BT sport on twitter is all to do with the French TV companies and not BT/Sky - the BT / Sky deal is quite straightforward but throw in the French and you have this delay. He did not elaborate on what the issue was however.

Not good enough for the fans I agree ( I am one who is trying to arrange holidays etc ) but kind of inevitable given this new organisation.
Less is more....