The Champions Cup - Fixtures announced (Updated)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: the Champions Cup

Post by biffer »

Has the venue been confirmed for the final or is it, like everything else, rumours only?

The HC was due to be played in Rome - I think that'd still be the best plan, if you want to give a more outward looking, growing the game kind of impression.
TimwW

Post by TimwW »

I have just received an e-mail from Wasps. It says that European fixtures will be announced next Tuesday 12th September - I assume that they mean 12th AUGUST.
InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by InGuinnessVeritas »

biffer wrote:Has the venue been confirmed for the final or is it, like everything else, rumours only? The HC was due to be played in Rome - I think that'd still be the best plan, if you want to give a more outward looking, growing the game kind of impression.
Wasn't there also talk of it possibly going to Milan? However, the San Siro and Stadio Olimpico will be in use over the weekend of 30/31 May as Internazionale and Roma are both at home for their final league fixtures.

I have a vague recollection of reading somewhere (but I can't remember where) the 2014/15 final will be held at either the Millennium Stadium, Murrayfield or Twickenham. However, don't quote me on that.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

InGuinnessVeritas wrote:
biffer wrote:Has the venue been confirmed for the final or is it, like everything else, rumours only? The HC was due to be played in Rome - I think that'd still be the best plan, if you want to give a more outward looking, growing the game kind of impression.
Wasn't there also talk of it possibly going to Milan? However, the San Siro and Stadio Olimpico will be in use over the weekend of 30/31 May as Internazionale and Roma are both at home for their final league fixtures.

I have a vague recollection of reading somewhere (but I can't remember where) the 2014/15 final will be held at either the Millennium Stadium, Murrayfield or Twickenham. However, don't quote me on that.
Not narrowing it down much considering there's only five options (assuming Cardiff's not getting it two years in a row) :smt002

Although I'd happily see it open to bidding from anywhere (within reason, Qatar / Dubai can do one) the clash with the tail end of the football season does cause problems. An open bidding process (i.e. from stadia / cities etc rather than from unions) would be welcome. A European final in Barcelona for example would be brilliant.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

biffer wrote:

Although I'd happily see it open to bidding from anywhere (within reason, Qatar / Dubai can do one) the clash with the tail end of the football season does cause problems. An open bidding process (i.e. from stadia / cities etc rather than from unions) would be welcome. A European final in Barcelona for example would be brilliant.
Ah but Biffer that's all right for a few neutral supporters, but those thousands who support a team that has a realistic chance of getting to the final, keeping it within the participating nations is a far better idea and rewards those nations in the top tier competition. Should a Spanish club qualify in future, then of course Barcelona could figure, but then that clashes with soccer again, so doubt that could happen.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

tigerburnie wrote:
biffer wrote:

Ah but Biffer that's all right for a few neutral supporters, but those thousands who support a team that has a realistic chance of getting to the final, keeping it within the participating nations is a far better idea and rewards those nations in the top tier competition. Should a Spanish club qualify in future, then of course Barcelona could figure, but then that clashes with soccer again, so doubt that could happen.
Not much difference between Barcelona and Rome in terms of travel though. The Italian sides haven't had a sniff of getting out of a group ever, and the Scottish sides have only managed it twice but the final has been at Murrayfield.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Fixtures to be announced next Tuesday 12th
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

tigerburnie wrote:Fixtures to be announced next Tuesday 12th
Source?
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Cagey Tiger wrote:Just had an email from EPRC. The fixtures will be announced in mid July.
Coz we've already had false alarms....
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Sale have it plastered all over their web site
http://www.salesharks.com/home.php
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

tigerburnie wrote:Sale have it plastered all over their web site
Ok, cheers. Silence still reigns on the official competition website though...
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

biffer wrote:
tigerburnie wrote:Sale have it plastered all over their web site
Ok, cheers. Silence still reigns on the official competition website though...
As the admin are still in the ERC building in Dublin I guess they have either not been told, or just maybe don't care.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I just hope that our away match with Toulon is not timed for the week before Xmas. Middle of January would do me fine.
JerryGas

Post by JerryGas »

Have received an email from Euro Rugby confirming next Tuesday at noon as the date for fixtures - and will reveal the final venue. At long last!!
Jerry, Crumbie terrace season ticket holder from South Glos.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

JerryGas wrote:Have received an email from Euro Rugby confirming next Tuesday at noon as the date for fixtures - and will reveal the final venue. At long last!!
I don't know which e-mail you got, but I got an e-mail with the following bits, with no definite date for the fixtures. 12th August is only listed as the date of the announcement of the venues for the finals.

The host city and venues for the finals of the much-anticipated inaugural European Rugby Champions Cup and European Rugby Challenge Cup tournaments will be announced next Tuesday, 12 August 2014.

The matches, dates and kick-off times of Rounds 1 to 2 of both tournaments will be announced by organisers EPCR shortly

Note that they haven't got round to rounds 3 & 4 yet. I am guessing that they will be back-to-back games against the team not played in rounds 1 & 2, but they may surprise us.