Is a home semi final out of the question?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Nailsworthstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Is a home semi final out of the question?

Post by Nailsworthstiger »

Stu_F wrote:I'm not convinced that Bath can beat Saints.
The game will be at the Rec and Bath will be fighting to get a top 4 finish. With this I think Saints are starting to slip up... 2 defeats in their last two games... the pressure is telling on them.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Nailsworthstiger wrote:
Stu_F wrote:I'm not convinced that Bath can beat Saints.
The game will be at the Rec and Bath will be fighting to get a top 4 finish. With this I think Saints are starting to slip up... 2 defeats in their last two games... the pressure is telling on them.
I'd tend to agree - it's :censored:-or-bust time for Bath. If they don't win then their pretensions at resurrection are dashed; Ford's new day will be revealed as no better than Gold's. I can see a hell of a struggle, and this fixture may be a pivotal one in this season's competition.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I do wonder what effect the European semi's will have on the teams. Bath, saints and Sarries will all have one eye on that.

I expect Saints to beat Quins and Bath to beat wasps, making it a Saints v bath final.

I also reckon Sarries will beat Clermont.

Now will Sarries having imo finished top do to us what we did to them and field a B squad as to give nothing away in a pointless fixture to them? (who knows)

This weekend is a key game in terms of mindset Sarries win and saints get nothing will basically mean they will finish top. a Big win by us and all of a sudden tigers could be 2/3 points behind a saints team still with an eye on the amlin, who knows what can happen.

Its all to play for. :smt023 :smt041 :smt003
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

"RagingBull
I also reckon Sarries will beat Clermont."

I don't see that. Clermont played us pretty much the game Saracens played until this season, the high ball for position, chase, turnover and counter attack, but they do it better than Saracens and are stronger, more penetrative and skilful and so have more options. Joubert is out for the season as well.

I fully expect to turn up at Cardiff in a Tigers shirt to support Clermont in the final.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

I've been trying to manage my expectations on a home SF. I have to say, it would be tantalisingly close if we get 5 points this weekend and Stains get zilch. Then I realise that for us to realise a WR semi, pretty much all of the variables and 50/50's would need to go our way. What did John Cleese say in Clockwise? "It's the hope...."
:smt013
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

KEEP[/color] THE FAITH!
Still keeping the faith!
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

The predictions all started so well!
AliB

Post by AliB »

A home semi is looking less likely, a top 4 finish is not nailed on anymore with Quins now in the mix, and we still need to win our last two games.

We will get the wins against Sale (4) and Sarries (4) so will likely finish on 72 points

The Saints v Bath result on Saturday is now key. If Saints win then the home semi dream is gone, but the good news would be that the top 4 finish for Tigers would be in the bag since Quins and Bath would be fighting it out for fourth place effectively guaranteeing Tigers third spot.

If Saints loose to Bath and don't get a losing bonus point then it will be all on the last game of the season, with both Tigers and Bath in with a shout for a home semi should Saints get nothing from their last game of the season being at home to Wasps - (Can Andy Goode do us one last favour?)

This all makes for a very exciting finish to the season for the optimists! (like me) :smt001
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

No we can't rule it out until it's mathematically impossible. Perhaps the best scenario would be a low scoring draw in the Bath v Saints fixture and a 5 point win for us at Sale followed by a 4 point home Victory against Sarries
leaving Bath & Saints to fight it out for third place.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

The more likely scenario is a LBP at Sale leaving us needing 4 points from Saffacens at WR.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

On their new forum a Stains supporter is wanting Bath to beat them in order to stop Tigers reaching the play offs. Now that really is bitter and twisted.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

sapajo wrote:On their new forum a Stains supporter is wanting Bath to beat them in order to stop Tigers reaching the play offs. Now that really is bitter and twisted.
Nothing new, then? :smt009
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

I think it just depends on when and how you want to deal with your disappointment.

1) After not qualifying for the play offs.
2) After losing in the semi.
3) After losing in the in the final.

.........<Sings> Always look on the bright side of life..... :smt034
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

Big Dai wrote:I think it just depends on when and how you want to deal with your disappointment.

1) After not qualifying for the play offs.
2) After losing in the semi.
3) After losing in the in the final.

.........<Sings> Always look on the bright side of life..... :smt034
Someones cheerful today. We are one win away from a semi spot and one of those games is at home. Once we reach the semis anything can happen and no team in the play offs will look forward to playing us, we may not win this year but we won't be far off imo.
Downsouth

Post by Downsouth »

I will wash my mouth out with soap and water after saying this, but I do think it will be better if Saints beat Bath. I can't see them loosing to Wasps at home - and so will probably finish 2nd. I think we would beat Saints away - Sarries away will be much tougher.