Is a home semi final out of the question?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Is a home semi final out of the question?

Post by MrPartridge »

I think Saints will only get 7 pts from their remaining games (Sale-1, Leicester-0, Sarries-0, Irish-1, Bath-1, Wasps-4.
Even as the most ardent Tigers fan I can't imagine this happening in my wildest dreams! I appreciate the wheels fall off sports teams from time to time, but the scenario above would be one of the greatest collapses to end a sports season. Saints have been good all year and I personally think it is more likely we'll catch Sarries (of the two in front of us).

That said and I put it in another post a few weeks back, I think we need 6 wins and 27 points to have any chance of Top 2. Anything less… get your route maps out!

Honestly - more chance of a 'home' HEC SF than an AP one, IMHO!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

19-6 to sale.
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

Great result for Sale, if we can take 5 points tomorrow the gap will be down to 10 points. With Saints to play Saracens and Bath away as well a win at Franklins Garden will really put the pressure on them to keep hold of a home semi. Sale have given us a chance at the top 2, just need to make sure we grab it with both hands by going unbeaten for the rest of the year. Easy :smt002
Latecomer

Post by Latecomer »

In answer to the question posed, yes.
AliB

Post by AliB »

I was wrong in my first prediction saints got no points vs Sale!

It is not nice to see good teams choke at the business end of the season but if it means we get a home semi I don't mind ! :smt001
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

AliB wrote:
It is not nice to see good teams choke at the business end of the season :smt001
Why?
kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kpb »

RagingBull wrote:19-6 to sale.
Sarries 32-17 up against Quins. Can't see us catching them but fancy our chances catching Saints now,maybe they have peeked and the wheels have come off?

All we need is 5 points tomorrow to kick start our season!! :smt002
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

We want second or third, and second is very unlikely. Not out of the question but no sane gambler would go for it if a loss meant bankruptcy. :smt004
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Bath get tbp.

Pressure on!!

KEEP THE FAITH!!
Still keeping the faith!
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

AliB - I take what I said all back! I'm off to go and bet the mortgage on a TBP win for us today.

Seriously - if we can get the gap to 10 ahead of next week then Saints will be nervous.
Tiger Cub

Post by 1979 »

Would it be fair to assume that the ref of the L'Oirish vs George Ford game is not a Tigers fan!
Have I got it wrong or would it be fair to say that Atwood definitely impeded the tackler on Abendanon which led directly to a Bath try, personally can not believe that the try was given. Garner didn't even let the the TMO give his verdict. Whilst it'd be true to say this kind of thing happens fairly regularly I'd have thought given that the tackler got his finger tips to Abendanon that without Attwoods contribution the tackle would likely be made. Obviously these things can be missed in real time but given that it wasn't surely its farcical that it wasn't penalised. I've seen penalties given for crossing for the the line Devoto took right in front if the defensive line let alone Attwoods physical involvement. For me this decision effectively ended the game as a competition and enabled Bath to take the game to its 5pt conclusion.
Can't help but feel that we really could have done with out Bath getting a TBP...I was rather hoping that Irish would do us a favour and sneak a win before the game.

I am admittedly as disappointed about the decision because of how it affects us as much as anything so possibly a bit one eyed so I'd be interested in other opinions on it.

For us to stay in touch with Bath 5pts today is a massive ask against a strong Chiefs side full of confidence. Even if we were to manage it how do people see our run in vs's Baths any weeks you think we might win where they might not?
The BT sport commentators for the above game when looking at the 4 teams competing for 3&4th didn't mention Bath and said it was a battle for 4th between Us, Quins and Sale. Which seemed strange given at the time we were on level points...perhaps they knew the result!!
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Game on Saints. Game on. :smt029
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

1979 wrote:Would it be fair to assume that the ref of the L'Oirish vs George Ford game is not a Tigers fan!
Have I got it wrong or would it be fair to say that Atwood definitely impeded the tackler on Abendanon which led directly to a Bath try, personally can not believe that the try was given. Garner didn't even let the the TMO give his verdict.

I am admittedly as disappointed about the decision because of how it affects us as much as anything so possibly a bit one eyed so I'd be interested in other opinions on it.
I thought Attwood definitely affected play and helped create a gap, wasn't the most obvious or blatant attempt though. Not sure that Garner didn't let the TMO give a verdict though, I recall the TMO asking Garner, after viewing it repeatedly, "do you want my opinion?", i would have thought that was obvious.

If we are allowing refs to view play back then decide themselves then fine, do away with the TMO as in this instance he rendered himself superfluous, but if or when a TMO is employed by the ref they should have to give their opinion and their decision should stand IMO, the ref has ceded the position of 'sole arbiter or fact' to the 'eye in the sky'.

Edit: but it was Greg Garner.....
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

MrPartridge wrote:AliB - I take what I said all back! I'm off to go and bet the mortgage on a TBP win for us today.

Seriously - if we can get the gap to 10 ahead of next week then Saints will be nervous.

Please say you made that bet.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

It's still highly unlikely but I reckon Saints will not be looking forward to playing us next week... especially without Manoa and Myler.

I can't wait!!
Soggypitch