Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

European Cup - New Format?

Post by rdracup »

Anyone know the format with 20 teams

5 pools of 4 - top 5 + 3 runners up in Q-F or 4 pools of 5 with Q-F/Semi/Final or or?

If the later one it will be 11 weekends instead of current 9.
What will give if it is - Low Value cup more in AI/6N period I guess.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Re: European Cup - New Format?

Post by BJ. »

Since the governing bodies haven't sorted it out yet, I'd be very surprised if any member of this forum knows the official format!
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Richard »

What I have read, it seems like 4 pools of five with the top 2 in each group progressing
the future is bright
the future is
Scarlet Green and White
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

BJ. wrote:Since the governing bodies haven't sorted it out yet, I'd be very surprised if any member of this forum knows the official format!
Maybe not the detail but the number of weekends, and hence the TV money, impact on fixture list, will be critical to final deal so it must known somewhere, but maybe not here. Also number of games in season ticket might change.
If it is 11 weekends of European rugby, instead of 9, particular at the expense of the LV .. then it gets my vote
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

rdracup wrote: If it is 11 weekends of European rugby, instead of 9, particular at the expense of the LV .. then it gets my vote
The only way it will be at the expense of the LV will be by playing premiership games on those weekends currently designated for the LV cup. There is no way the HC (or whatever it is going to be called) will be played when internationals are away, so that means playing more league games during the international periods or making the season start earlier and leaving the LV cup weekends empty.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Well at least they've taken the Gun by the bullet and restricted it to only 7 pro 12 teams. It will be interesting to see the full format when that is published.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Noddy555 wrote:Well at least they've taken the Gun by the bullet and restricted it to only 7 pro 12 teams. It will be interesting to see the full format when that is published.
Even ERC in their death throws agreed this!

:smt005 :smt003 :smt005
Still keeping the faith!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

The format:

http://www.espn.co.uk/heineken-cup-2013 ... 18951.html

Also ERC to be wound up (will the monies owed get paid?) but some staff retained in new set-up under 6N organisation.
Valhalla I am coming!
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Not really. The only thing different to what we knew yesterday is 4 clubs/provinces/regions/franchises (delete as appropriate) will play off for the 20th slot in the successor to the Heineken Cup. There is still no news regarding numbers of pools, number of teams in pools etc.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

So a four team play off (three in the first year) home and away, assuming it’s a knockout rather than mini league, means that the team that scrapes in by this method will enter the competition completely knackered having played four extra games and the extra matches will certainly have a substantial adverse effect on their performance in their domestic league.

Is this a completely ridiculous and idiotic process or have I got it wrong?
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

It only says the initial season's playoffs will be home and away. I think you might find that it's one off games when it's a four team playoff. Home / away will be luck of the draw.

I'm pretty sure it'll still be pools of four btw. No one would vote for more games.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

5 pools of 4 for 20 teams er I think you've got your numbers mixed up,there will
be at least 7 from the pro12 league and I believe 8 each from the top 14 and 8 from the Aviva Premiership plus 1 Italian team making a total of 24, although there are roumours that 8 other teams from other European leagues may make the total up to 32. Which will be split into 8 groups of 4 with the top 2 in each group qualifying for a home and away 16 round the winners of which will go into the quarter finals played under the current format and so on through to the final. I believe that the start date will be moved slightly forward from the
beginning of October to the middle of September and the only thing to be settled are the TV rights which are under negotiation between BT & Sky Broadcasting.
Lets keep our fingers crossed. Apparently a deadline of 31st of March 2014 has
been set with the groups drawn in early April. Nobody has said however if the
subsidiary Amlin cup is being staged next year and what the qualifying conditions would be for that.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Noddy555 wrote:5 pools of 4 for 20 teams er I think you've got your numbers mixed up,there will
be at least 7 from the pro12 league and I believe 8 each from the top 14 and 8 from the Aviva Premiership plus 1 Italian team making a total of 24, although there are roumours that 8 other teams from other European leagues may make the total up to 32. Which will be split into 8 groups of 4 with the top 2 in each group qualifying for a home and away 16 round the winners of which will go into the quarter finals played under the current format and so on through to the final. I believe that the start date will be moved slightly forward from the
beginning of October to the middle of September and the only thing to be settled are the TV rights which are under negotiation between BT & Sky Broadcasting.
Lets keep our fingers crossed. Apparently a deadline of 31st of March 2014 has
been set with the groups drawn in early April. Nobody has said however if the
subsidiary Amlin cup is being staged next year and what the qualifying conditions would be for that.

Everything I've seen and read recently suggests 20 teams. It was one of the key demands of the English and French was it not?
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Maybe Biffer, but I can't see the top 14 and the Aviva agreeing to field less teams tha the pro12, so equality would make 21 teams, which doesn;t configure,
no I think it will be 24 teams minimum, whatever the English and French clubs
say.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

I would tend to believe ESPN as far as numbers are concerned (I.e. 20) since it has an interest in the TV rights.
Valhalla I am coming!