2014/15 Kits

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 2014/15 Kits

Post by L Smith »

Grannyman wrote:If it's the same cuddly toy as the gifts section one on the online shop, then the details state 12/13 season.
No, it's similar but has 3 bands of red and white on a green band as opposed to the one band on last years.
http://m.store.leicestertigers.com/stor ... pid=107825
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

tigerburnie wrote:
L Smith wrote:I didn't get the mail but I searched the store and I guess it is indeed a representation of how the kit will look. There's no sponsor on the front, though. Will it be Cat or GNC?
Training kit seems to have GNC all over it, picture of Ghiraldhini in it.
GNC sponsored the training kit last season too
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

L Smith wrote:
Grannyman wrote:If it's the same cuddly toy as the gifts section one on the online shop, then the details state 12/13 season.
No, it's similar but has 3 bands of red and white on a green band as opposed to the one band on last years.
That looks alright to me - now lets seewhat happens when they make it full size and (maybe) put a collar on it for the purists !
tjs10
Super User
Super User

Post by tjs10 »

DickyP wrote:Always thought the logic for everyone going to identical numbering systems (which did make some sense at the time) fell apart as soon as we went to match day squads of 22, now 23, where just seeing a number gives little indication as to where a player is actually playing. Personally I'd love to go back to the variations which added a little 'something' to the game. Let's face it the anomalies were wonderful anyway: we always talked about No 8s etc even when ours were wearing G
The matchday squads of 22 has been around for longer than the mandatory 1-15 numbering for the starting XV.

Even though the bench numbering of 16-23 doesn't directly corrolate to the 1-15 numbers they replace, they do still indicate positions as numbers 16-23 still work from the front row subs backwards. ie Nos 16-18 are the front row subs, 19 & 20 are the pack subs & 21-23 are the backs subs (assuming a 5-3 split on the bench).

London Irish did trial squad numbers for a season or two (before mandatory 1-15 numbering was enforced by PRL/RFU) but it didn't prove popular with the casual spectator.

The enforcement of 1-15 & the scrapping of quirks such as Tigers & Bristol's lettering & Bath's retirement of no.13 was done to make it easier for the casual fan to follow (ie TV viewers) & thus attempt to increase interest/participation in the sport.

The numbering quirks were always popular with the established core fans but they are the people who would stick around regardless & so there is little "need" to try to retain them in the eyes of the marketing bods.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

tjs10 wrote:
DickyP wrote:Always thought the logic for everyone going to identical numbering systems (which did make some sense at the time) fell apart as soon as we went to match day squads of 22, now 23, where just seeing a number gives little indication as to where a player is actually playing. Personally I'd love to go back to the variations which added a little 'something' to the game. Let's face it the anomalies were wonderful anyway: we always talked about No 8s etc even when ours were wearing G
The matchday squads of 22 has been around for longer than the mandatory 1-15 numbering for the starting XV.

Even though the bench numbering of 16-23 doesn't directly corrolate to the 1-15 numbers they replace, they do still indicate positions as numbers 16-23 still work from the front row subs backwards. ie Nos 16-18 are the front row subs, 19 & 20 are the pack subs & 21-23 are the backs subs (assuming a 5-3 split on the bench).

London Irish did trial squad numbers for a season or two (before mandatory 1-15 numbering was enforced by PRL/RFU) but it didn't prove popular with the casual spectator.

The enforcement of 1-15 & the scrapping of quirks such as Tigers & Bristol's lettering & Bath's retirement of no.13 was done to make it easier for the casual fan to follow (ie TV viewers) & thus attempt to increase interest/participation in the sport.

The numbering quirks were always popular with the established core fans but they are the people who would stick around regardless & so there is little "need" to try to retain them in the eyes of the marketing bods.
This, Sir, is a rugby match, not a cattle sale.

There is nothing in the laws dictating that shirts be numbered, doesn’t seem to be in the rules either. You quite often see players changing their shirts when ripped or torn for unnumbered replacements. Some competitions do state that player numbering is required, I’m not sure about the AP.

Tigers do have letters, at least on the home kit, around the badge – bit of tradition there.

SCW says he once sent London Irish out with the players numbered by, I think, size (is that what you’re referring to, tjs?).
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Grannyman

Post by Grannyman »

Jay C wrote:
L Smith wrote:
That looks alright to me - now lets seewhat happens when they make it full size and (maybe) put a collar on it for the purists !
The product in that link has 12/13 season in the details. Scroll down.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Yes but it also says this:

Leicester Tigers 12/13 10inch Home Kit Welford Tiger.

Description:

Sterling Silver
Tigers Head Design
Butterfly back
Grannyman

Post by Grannyman »

Leicester Tigers no longer appear on the list of clubs on the Canterbury website.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Grannyman wrote:Leicester Tigers no longer appear on the list of clubs on the Canterbury website.
I'm led to believe that Canterbury will remain as the kit supplier
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

is that because the new kit is not available yet maybe?
cheers
Rich
BigChris

Post by BigChris »

The Canterbury site does indeed still show Leicester as a 'sponsored' club. I agree that the new kit will probably be on their site once released.

http://www.canterbury.com/sponsorships
tjs10
Super User
Super User

Post by tjs10 »

h's dad wrote:This, Sir, is a rugby match, not a cattle sale.

There is nothing in the laws dictating that shirts be numbered, doesn’t seem to be in the rules either. You quite often see players changing their shirts when ripped or torn for unnumbered replacements. Some competitions do state that player numbering is required, I’m not sure about the AP.

Tigers do have letters, at least on the home kit, around the badge – bit of tradition there.

SCW says he once sent London Irish out with the players numbered by, I think, size (is that what you’re referring to, tjs?).
You are correct that there is nothing in the laws of the game to dictate uniform numbering, but there IS something in the Premiership regulations that requires consistency across all teams.

It was for that very reason that Leicester, Bath & Bristol were all required to change their old methods for the current practice.

From memory it was around 1998/99 season that the rule came in?

And no, that LI reference isn't what I was referring to. I seem to recall they spent one season where they had squad numbers. Richmond also did it for a season too if I remember correctly.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

New kit pictures on the Facebook page and via Twitter!

Hope the away shirt is better. Not "retro" enough for me.

Red, green and white for ever.............but more in the line of the old NEXT shirt?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

tjs10 wrote:
h's dad wrote:This, Sir, is a rugby match, not a cattle sale.

You are correct that there is nothing in the laws of the game to dictate uniform numbering, but there IS something in the Premiership regulations that requires consistency across all teams.

It was for that very reason that Leicester, Bath & Bristol were all required to change their old methods for the current practice.

From memory it was around 1998/99 season that the rule came in?

And no, that LI reference isn't what I was referring to. I seem to recall they spent one season where they had squad numbers. Richmond also did it for a season too if I remember correctly.
Thank tjs. This makes me even more surprised that Bath are going to be wearing shirts with five different logos across their chests next season. Surely this must be in breach of the rules that you refer to?
Last edited by h's dad on Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

Block green with four or five very thin stripes of red and white. If the badge was in the traditional style and not right in the middle and the stripes were thicker and there were more of them I think it would be a nice kit. Why couldn't we get a kit like Bath had last season, that template with green, scarlet and white instead of the blue, black and white of Bath. I think that kit would be very nice.