England v Wales

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

England v Wales

Post by tigerburnie »

I'm the first to criticise, so I'll be the first to congratulate, well played England youngsters, even Fazlet kept me happy.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: England v Wales

Post by tig1 »

Brilliant, brilliant, England. Congratulations to Lancaster and his coaches, and Robshaw and his squad.

Lawes world class today. Owen Farell top, top class. Burrell fantastic. But overal just a fantastic team effort.

:smt023
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Best sight - whilst Engliash players were parading the Triple Crown trophy, in the background Tom Youngs and Dylan Hartley were chatting animatedly with smiles like the best of mates: shows the squad ethos is there.

Dear me - Manu will find it hard to break back into the team - thought the centres today were excellent. Another one of those situations where the combination (Burrell & 36) is much stronger than the sum of the parts.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

A great win but it should disguise the wings were very poor both in attack and defence, and the daft penalties kept the opposition in the game.
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

DickyP wrote:Best sight - whilst Engliash players were parading the Triple Crown trophy, in the background Tom Youngs and Dylan Hartley were chatting animatedly with smiles like the best of mates: shows the squad ethos is there.

Dear me - Manu will find it hard to break back into the team - thought the centres today were excellent. Another one of those situations where the combination (Burrell & 36) is much stronger than the sum of the parts.
A nice problem to have Dicky. Yarde for May is the only obvious immediate change for team in my opinion.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

And Gatlands game plan was?

:smt017
Still keeping the faith!
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Bill W (2) wrote:And Gatlands game plan was?

Saving it for the World Cup?
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

Bill W (2) wrote:And Gatlands game plan was?

In the words of that great bit of sports commentary by Barry Davies pondering the absence of the German defence........'frankly, who cares'
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I too would have given the man of the match award to Courtney Lawes, but I thought that Billy Twelvetrees ran him a close second. His quick thinking made Luther Burrell's try and his tackling and general defensive cover particularly against the two lions centres Roberts and Davies was superb. Brown and Care had good games too but I'm not impressed by Johnny May some of his tactical decisions were strange to say the least and I'm still to be convinced about Newell. Morgan was a rock and Robshaw had a good game too, but I thought Wales were generally poor and in no way reached their standard of play against France.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I agree thhe wings were our only weakness. I would put in Yarde for May and possibly Watson for Nowell, although I like Nowell I don't think he has the raw pace for top class international rugby.

May is definitely not international class, I would actually rather have Ahston or Strettle.

Congrats to the whole squad and coaches,if it were a Lions tour this year the make up of the squad would be a whole lot different.

It was a disgrace not to take Robshaw last year, this year he would be skipper!

I don't see the point of having Ford and Goode on the bench, if Farrell gets injured Goode is more than capable of playing 10 and kicking, we would be far better off having Manu on the bench for Italy, he could make a real impact in the last 20 mins if required.

Halfpenny's kicking was WORLD class today, tribute to Farell he was pretty good too!!
Soggypitch
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

Great result but the wings were so indecisive. Are either of them speedy?
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Ps. There are a LOT of Lancaster and Farrell critics on this forum, I await with baited breath a little humility from them and perhaps a word of praise!!

Or is that too much to expect...!!
Soggypitch
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

I for one can't wait for the forthcoming comment from 'Latecomer' who suggested the need to change the coaching team after our win over Ireland. What will he say after that?

Anyone who thinks SL and the entire coaching team aren't doing a good job is clown IMHO. Agree with others here about the team ethos, plus now we have our first TC since 2003 and we are the only team in world rugby to beat the All Blacks in the last 24 months (fact).

I suspect we'll get a few: 'the Welsh didn't turn up, Poite favoured the red rose' rubbish coming through but we have come a long way since the 3-30 drubbing in Cardiff this time last year.

Too many great individual performances to mention, but I thought Farrell was class and the one position where we lack decent cover is 10. Add in all our Tiger absentees: Manu, Cole, Croft, Parling, etc. and England at home in the WC next year will be a team no one will want to play.

Allez Les Blues next week!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Noddy555 wrote:I too would have given the man of the match award to Courtney Lawes, but I thought that Billy Twelvetrees ran him a close second. His quick thinking made Luther Burrell's try and his tackling and general defensive cover particularly against the two lions centres Roberts and Davies was superb. Brown and Care had good games too but I'm not impressed by Johnny May some of his tactical decisions were strange to say the least and I'm still to be convinced about Newell. Morgan was a rock and Robshaw had a good game too, but I thought Wales were generally poor and in no way reached their standard of play against France.
My problem is voiced in your last sentence. this has been a relatively poor 6N and Wales have been nowhere near their previous form, I suspect a little influenced by events in Welsh rugby. I expect Gatland to get the push and Wales to follow England's example and appoint Ponty's coach in his stead (half-joking only). Half the England team is functioning brilliantly, courtesy IMO of Care and Brown above all this 6N. I expect Manu and others to be relegated to the fringes for a while until much better opposition exposes the lack of threat/skill in several areas. So, Soggyitch and Mr Partridge (ta for the clown insult, love a discerning punter), when they play a good side and kick them, I will concede Lancaster's genius. Until then, I reserve my negative opinion.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I don't think anybody is saying SL is a genius JG, but he has built a good team ethos, has a good coaching team,and seems in general to be making good team selections.

England have also beaten everyone from the autumn, except a creditable loss v NZ and a very unlucky defeat away to France.

Perhaps Wales with there 12 Lions didn't play that well because they weren't allowed to, or is that just giving too much credit to the team and coach you appear to want to see fail!

Prove I'm wrong by giving some praise to SL and OF :smt002
Soggypitch