Kids on the terrace?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Kids on the terrace?

Post by ourla »

Simply question: is it a good idea to take an 8yo onto the standing terrace? Is there anyway he will get a view?
old one eye
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Kids on the terrace?

Post by old one eye »

I take my two 8 year old grandsons.
Arrive early armed with folding stools and mountains of food and drink with endless amounts of patience and stand at the front against the wall.

No problems.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

yes they will love it

as said - arrive early(approx 1 hour) with stools to get space at front against the fence ( small fold up stools can be purchased from somewhere like Dunhelm for under a fiver)- make the pre match build up as part of the event - bring food and drink and chat to the folks about you. Hand held electronic device does help to stave off any boredom if it creeps in,prior to game.

The people around you will be nice to the kids especialy if they know it is their first game - the excitement and passion on the terrace gets the kids excited and because they are so close to the action the thrill of the steaming grunting thumps and crashes right in front of them cannot help but delight. My daughter loves it when when she comes especially all the silly songs and chants we have in the centre of the terrace.

A couple of watch outs - Do not arrive late and expect to get to the front - it pees people off - if said child has a flag - ensure they wave it when the teams come out and when we score - NOT whilst ball is in play and be careful they do not stick it up their neighbors nose

It is a good afternoon out for them - enjoy
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Cheers peeps. I've been on the terrace myself a few times but always arrived a few minutes before kick off and stood towards the back. I'm 6'4" so no issue for me. I've taken my boy a couple of times in the new stand but wondering if the terrace could be fun. It's cheaper aswell. Decided for the Wasps to play safe and got tickets in the Goldsmiths stand but maybe next time I'll go for the terrace. Will be taking my daughter at some point also so that may be option for then.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

mightymouse wrote:yes they will love it

as said - arrive early(approx 1 hour) with stools to get space at front against the fence ( small fold up stools can be purchased from somewhere like Dunhelm for under a fiver)- make the pre match build up as part of the event - bring food and drink and chat to the folks about you. Hand held electronic device does help to stave off any boredom if it creeps in,prior to game.

The people around you will be nice to the kids especialy if they know it is their first game - the excitement and passion on the terrace gets the kids excited and because they are so close to the action the thrill of the steaming grunting thumps and crashes right in front of them cannot help but delight. My daughter loves it when when she comes especially all the silly songs and chants we have in the centre of the terrace.

A couple of watch outs - Do not arrive late and expect to get to the front - it pees people off - if said child has a flag - ensure they wave it when the teams come out and when we score - NOT whilst ball is in play and be careful they do not stick it up their neighbors nose

It is a good afternoon out for them - enjoy
I'd back this advice 99% but add that for some matches even one hour before is not early enough. Also endorse the advice re late arrivals - everyone who has been there over an hour or even up to two hates those who push their kids forward (often in front of other kids!) and say things like 'well I thought at Tigers kids would have priority at the front, or some such. After 5 mins the parents have to go to check little Wilfred is OK, of course :smt013
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Goats are not permitted at WR but children are welcome.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Old Hob wrote:Goats are not permitted at WR but children are welcome.
That one is well past its sell-by date. :smt003
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

and, as I have experienced, don't bring your children on to the terrace, position them at the front with their stools and gameboys or whatever, then clear off to the bar for an hour yourself expecting me to keep an eye on your offspring. Just because I'm a woman doesn't mean I am (a) safe and (b) a free childminder.

I'm sure you would not do this Ourla, but it does happen.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Rizzo, there are some cheeky beggars about aren't there. Personally, I go to the match with my son not in spite of him :smt023
Eon B
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Eon B »

I've taken mine along since they were tiny. Now my youngest takes me and my eldest's husband is taken up that task next season.

Taken the children was a great investment.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Old Hob, I'm an old goat myself being a capricorn, be careful when you cast aspersions at goats, remember they have horns. An old lag once told me that a farmer friend of his used to bring a pet ram to watch the tigers in the 1930's,
I wonder if a goat would be charged a kid's entrance fee.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Noddy555 wrote:Old Hob, I'm an old goat myself being a capricorn, be careful when you cast aspersions at goats, remember they have horns. An old lag once told me that a farmer friend of his used to bring a pet ram to watch the tigers in the 1930's,
I wonder if a goat would be charged a kid's entrance fee.
:smt046
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

I would go for some bronze seats in the Goldsmiths or the equivalent at the other end. Plenty of prematch stuff for the kids and mascots.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I was taken by my dad to watch my first Rugby match when I was 2 and a half years old. 65 years later I can still remember the thrill of it. Viva the kids on the terrace.
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

Having been such an age considerably more recently than 65 years ago, I can only echo Noddy's sentiments. All the other entertainment was nice and genuinely enjoyable, but really I just loved the noise and atmosphere of the Crumbie, it's irreplaceable. Absolutely outstanding memories of being a littl'un on the terrace, definitely worth a go.