Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Keeping those old traditions going

Post by ourla »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/26367472

Officials have 'underpants ripped off' at Aylestone St James

The RFU have fined Leicester amateurs Aylestone St James £1,575 for "forcibly removing the underwear" of three anonymous north east-based officials.

The incident took place at Aylestone's Covert Lane clubhouse after a Midlands Three East (North) match with Grimsby.

The referee was unaware of a tradition that patrons should wear no underpants.

Several club players and members then "ripped off his underwear whilst he was still wearing trousers" and two other officials arrived to the same welcome.

In one of the officials' written statement, he described the experience as "humiliating and embarrassing", and said he suffered "12 hours of some discomfort and pain".

Aylestone stated to the disciplinary panel, who described the act as "a physical assault", that "the club deeply regretted the referees were subjected to discomfort and/or humiliation."

Of the £1,575 fine, £1000 was a voluntary donation by the club to the charity of the officials' choice.

What old traditionals do you like to keep going at your rugby club :smt003
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Keeping those old traditions going

Post by Smudge »

I remember our stewards taking similar action in the seventies when a bunch of
protesters tried to disrupt a Tigers game against South Africa.

It worked a treat as it's very difficult to be taken seriously protesting with no "kacks".
Although a very popular action with the supporters, the police took a dim view
and prevented us doing it again.
A life long Tiger
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

ourla wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/26367472

Officials have 'underpants ripped off' at Aylestone St James

The RFU have fined Leicester amateurs Aylestone St James £1,575 for "forcibly removing the underwear" of three anonymous north east-based officials.

The incident took place at Aylestone's Covert Lane clubhouse after a Midlands Three East (North) match with Grimsby.

The referee was unaware of a tradition that patrons should wear no underpants.

Several club players and members then "ripped off his underwear whilst he was still wearing trousers" and two other officials arrived to the same welcome.

In one of the officials' written statement, he described the experience as "humiliating and embarrassing", and said he suffered "12 hours of some discomfort and pain".

Aylestone stated to the disciplinary panel, who described the act as "a physical assault", that "the club deeply regretted the referees were subjected to discomfort and/or humiliation."

Of the £1,575 fine, £1000 was a voluntary donation by the club to the charity of the officials' choice.

What old traditionals do you like to keep going at your rugby club :smt003
Thank heavens they were not ladies :smt042
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Is no underwear in the bar after the game not standard in all clubs?

Every team I know have that rule in effect.

Even the women's teams have it enforced
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Many of the above were clearly not rugby players. Or should I say, Fat Boys, since we Pretty Boys tended not to have bizarre dress codes or cheerfully crossdress at any opportunity. :smt003
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I did wonder when I read that last night, are the traditions of clubs mucking about after the game when a few beers have been downed, now finished?
Or did they simply misjudge the situation re 3 visiting refs.

Is it a case of "If you can't take a joke you shouldn't have joined" or is it simply " we never signed up to your silly pranks so do not include us in them" ?

- I supect many a club chairman will be twitching come 8pm on a Saturday in future as the 3rd team front row starts getting boisterous, he may be wondering where his next law suit/fine is coming from!!
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

mightymouse wrote:I did wonder when I read that last night, are the traditions of clubs mucking about after the game when a few beers have been downed, now finished?
Or did they simply misjudge the situation re 3 visiting refs.
Think it's the latter, there are lots of ways to muck about without ripping the pants of strangers. If you want a "no pants zone" enforced then at least have the courtesy to either tell people, especially visitors before they get into the situation.

This kind of behaviour turns a lot of people off rugby as the social side is full of "Lads" acting like total [swear word]
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

If the visitors/refs had been made aware of the "tradition" beforehand then it would be a different situation, but to do what was done without any warning or notice was - in my view - inappropriate and unacceptable. Personally I'm glad to be just a watcher from the sidelines and not involved in such traditions.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Surely if all clubs had adopted the A St J tradition then this would
have accelerated the departure of " Old Farts" within the game !! :smt026
Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tyzot »

Really - IMHO if all clubs had adopted such a tradition, the game would be dead by now at club level, due to a failure to attract new players or have juniors move up. Not to mention a lack of Referees.

Having visited Vipers midweek to watch a visiting Argentine Colts team - the post match "tradition" was much more what Rugby needs - singing, communal beer drinking and the type of larking around that lets everyone let off steam and still no one gets hurt or property damaged!

Well done Vipers, Jimmies need a long hard look at themselves (provided the reports are accurate, that is)
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

Are Jimmies going to lobby the council to rename their address 'Overt Lane'?