Goneva-Whats Going On?

Post by roar5676 »

Goneva-Whats Going On? :smt052 :smt052 :smt052 :smt052 :smt052
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Goneva-Whats Going On?

Post by RagingBull »

Pretty much off to castres, he sounds like he wants to stay but due to age he wants to earn some more money before he is past his prime basically.

He has been waiting in hopes of Tigers being able to squeeze a better offer. as he had a clause or something stated if tigers can match it or something like that then he would stay.

And apparently we may have been able to according to someone on here.

but I think he is off.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

The story is he only signed a pre-contract initially which means we can negotiate.

It doesn't look promising though.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

He has scored some good tries for us but is not irreplaceable, if he wants to go let him go, we only want players that want to play for Tigers.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

johnthegriff wrote:... let him go, we only want players that want to play for Tigers.
And to hell with anybody who wants to provide as best they can for their family :smt013
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

johnthegriff wrote: if he wants to go let him go, we only want players that want to play for Tigers.
Sounds like he wants to stay though, but he is thinking about his family and earning capabilities. And who can blame him.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Its a regrettable situation, but this is more than likely his last chance to earn top dollar. He has to do what is best for him and his family. He is far from a complete player, but he has given us some absolutely magic moments.
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

A pity that his contract wasn't properly written.

He is either signed to Tigers or isn't. I don't believe that this is only about money.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

My understanding is that Niki has a contract with us till the end of this season, he has signed a pre contract to go to France, he was hoping to stay with us, but obviously as has been stated, he needs to think about maximising his own situation for his future. I don't believe anything has been confirmed in public yet, so you never know, we might have funds available to keep him, or then again we might not.
As for now he is a Tiger and doing his best for us, I for one think he deserves supporting and should he decide to leave, I will say thankyou and good luck if he does go.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Why don't you wait and watch this space Niki is a lot happier now that his good mate Steve Mafi is back in the squad. Salaries in the Pacific island are so low that Niki might opt for peace of mind rather than a piece of the action. As Kornboy (he who knows all) says, he has only signed a pre contact deal with Castres which means he or they can get out of it at any time. I, for one, am
hoping for a pleasant surprise come May.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

Isambard wrote:A pity that his contract wasn't properly written.
What do you mean by this?

If Goneva's contract ends this season, he has every right to look elsewhere for work. He has every right to enter into a collateral contract that gives him the chance to get the best possible deal for him and his family.

If Leicester want to keep him, they will match Castres' bid, as stipulated in the 'pre-contract'. If not, they will look elsewhere.

We will find out which when either Goneva or A.N. Other (re-)signs.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

h's dad wrote:
johnthegriff wrote:... let him go, we only want players that want to play for Tigers.
And to hell with anybody who wants to provide as best they can for their family :smt013
So, £70, 000 (or whatever, I pick a sum at random) is not good enough? It has to be £90k? (I know some of these players are on hundreds of thousands) He's not going to work after rugby? Greed before everything, is that your motto?

If you can't buy a house and save money on a professional rugby player's salary of often ten times the national average wage then it's a poor tale.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

Old Hob wrote: So, £70, 000 (or whatever, I pick a sum at random) is not good enough? It has to be £90k? (I know some of these players are on hundreds of thousands) He's not going to work after rugby? Greed before everything, is that your motto?

If you can't buy a house and save money on a professional rugby player's salary of often ten times the national average wage then it's a poor tale.
I agree with you on this point. However, I would imagine Goneva's contract with us to be on fairly poor terms (relative to the average salary of a professional rugby player) and he would now command a much higher salary. If the value of his contract is doubled, for instance, you couldn't hold a move against him.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Skin_and_Muscle wrote:
Old Hob wrote: So, £70, 000 (or whatever, I pick a sum at random) is not good enough? It has to be £90k? (I know some of these players are on hundreds of thousands) He's not going to work after rugby? Greed before everything, is that your motto?

I agree with you on this point. However, I would imagine Goneva's contract with us to be on fairly poor terms (relative to the average salary of a professional rugby player) and he would now command a much higher salary. If the value of his contract is doubled, for instance, you couldn't hold a move against him.
Was going to say this the difference isn't 10,000/ 20,000 more like 70,000/80,000.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Don't forget he joined us from a French second level team Tarbes, so I'm sure we got him "on the cheap". The usual Tigers problem: we pick up people who we then make "bankable".

I'm a huge fan of Goneva and I really think his pluses far outweigh his minuses. However, I suspect I'm not the only one who can't understand a word he says when he gets interviewed (normally after winning the MOTM). I end up feeling guilty about my motives!
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."