Biased commentary

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Biased commentary

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

It was mentioned during the Wales v France game last night about the biased commentary, but today during the Italy v Scotland game it couldn't be worse!! I understand that there are more Scotiish people watching it on the BBC that Italians, but it surely it should be impartial? The commenters are there to explain the action and give an informed opinion about what is happening during the game. Not to tell me how great Scotland are at every opportunity. This is clearly not the case...if I wanted to have such pro Scottish commentery, I would have invited Alex Salmon over to tea. :smt011
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Biased commentary

Post by Stu_F »

But if Scotland really are great then it's factual comment rather than bias.

Maybe they've just been a bit unlucky recently, and after all the SRU are targeting victory in the 2015 World Cup as a strategic goal. Maybe there is a typo in the document and an "a" is missing but who knows?
amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by amazing tiger »

what do you expect when you have an ex soctish captain on the comantry team
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

I was more concerned that Eng v Ire still managed to involve that door handle Eddie Butler....and Jiffy in the wings......
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

WhitecapTiger wrote:I was more concerned that Eng v Ire still managed to involve that door handle Eddie Butler....and Jiffy in the wings......
I'm not sure why it takes so long for them to go to the video analysis (be it Oz, Jiify or Andy Nicol) but it seems to take 10-15 minutes for them to highlight something after it has happened
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Please can someone remove Brian Moore from the microphone? I know he's had a tough life but the constant moaning about England and commentating on what happened ten seconds ago makes him worse than Kenneth Wolstenholme
I fully expect him to say "It was never like this in my day" at some point.........
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

I actually like the reality of Brian Moore.

Andy Nichol is an absolute waste of time. Anything said against Scotland can't possibly be true because Scotland are perfect...really needs to wind his neck in tbh.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I used to like Brian Moore and I've listened to him a lot and read most of his articles in the DT - I've also read his book, which is excellent.

However his absolute refusal to EVER say anything good about OTY is a disgrace!

Yes he's not a perfect hooker but he is a :censored: good one and a Lion to boot!!

Probably Hartley deserves his place ahead of OTY currently, but that doesn't make him a bad player and unless anyone can enlighten me, I have never heard Moore say one thing of a positive nature about OTY.

Not sure if this is a bias against hooker converts or a more general bias against Tigers, because for certain he does not like us and any praise is usually given through firmly gritted teeth!!
Soggypitch
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

I agree that the commentary from Rome was very poor standard and lacking BBC ethics.
But Brian Moore was exceptional yesterday for example talking about the denoument of the game and the most egregrious player. Wow, I don't know what it means either but it is lovely to listen to.

As Youngs was only on for 50 seconds nothing critical was said against him. Anyway Hartley is playing out of his skin at the moment and is the best hooker in the country.
welshy08

Post by welshy08 »

Brian Moore reminds me of Anne Widdecombe.

The welsh commentary wasn't biased btw,.Do English people really expect the commentators to slag wales off, even if they are beating France by 25 points?

England commentary in studio, man that was biased. Woodward sex weeing over england like they are the second coming of christ...it was all sick makingly embaressing. Truly awful.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Actually Brian Moore DID say something good about TY - be complimented him because "at least he hooks the ball".
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

DickyP wrote:Actually Brian Moore DID say something good about TY - be complimented him because "at least he hooks the ball".
I was wondering how he was going to cope with that this week. He's always had a go at Youngs for not hooking but Dylan Hartley did him a favour today and showed us all that Youngs has developed that part of his game and taken to it quicker than Hartley appears to.

On balance, though, the starting shirt has to be with Hartley but Youngs needs to come on much earlier; I don't think any commentators can deny the impact he can have around the field. As for the set piece, he's a better scrummager than Hartley and needs to build a relationship with Lawes (who concerns me; I'm not sure he's a lineout expert at all, and just gets away with it because he recognises Hartley).
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

I think Andrew Cotter is a tremendous commentator and am always relieved when it's him behind the mike. Andy Nicol on the other hand is worse than useless. He's right up there with Jiffy in terms of commentators who I hate to listen to. Moore is honest I reckon, and I like what he adds to the commentary, in particular the ominous silences after Butler's said something moronic and you feel that BM is just resisiting the urge to smack him one.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

biffer wrote: Moore is honest I reckon, and I like what he adds to the commentary, in particular the ominous silences after Butler's said something moronic and you feel that BM is just resisiting the urge to smack him one.
He doesn't have to resist on my account................... :smt003
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
welshy08

Post by welshy08 »

Commentators always have things they repeat. Cliches etc.
Jiffy "numbers"
Cotter "come again" (ie england come again).
The simple fact is there are no more biased commentators than the Irish. They are as one eyed as it gets. Being objective simple does not register. It is actually like they are working for the IRFU's PR department.