Tigers v London Irish - Teams up

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

GS
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v London Irish - Teams up

Post by GS »

Well, that team is about as good as we've got and on paper should be good enough. Unfortunately the current form books put everything in the air. Irish come to the game on their own patch with a bit of a winning streak while we go away on a not quite losing streak. If we've got our brains in gear and attitude set to 'win like Tigers' it should be a good game with Tigs edging it at least. If not it'll be a long afternoon in (not so) sunny Reading. If there are still problems I hope Cockers uses the bench creatively and with time to put things right - not in the last 5 minutes.

We can win and we need to win, even managing not to lose with the last kick of the game will do.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Jose
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Teams Up

Post by Jose »

RagingBull wrote:
Jose wrote:No surprise to see Flood has been sent to the naughty step, along with Thomas. Displeasing Cockerill never a good idea. Any debatable selection call bound to go against you once Cockerill feels crossed. At least we get to see if Williams is up to it, and gives him a chance to stake his claim.
Have I missed something Williams has already shown he is up to it imo, and has played fairly well with make shift centre partnerships.

I guessing the Flood cockers thing is an attempt of "trolling"
No trolling at all. If you really think that Flood has been a worse 10 this season than Youngs has been 9 or Crane 8, then I think you're sadly deluded. Similarly if you think that Mele and Waldrom don't offer better options currently. But Crane and Youngs aren't impudent enough to leave or to find an english grandmother.
Joe The Tigers Fan
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Ben Youngs must have some amazing blackmail on Cockers!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Jose wrote:
RagingBull wrote: Have I missed something Williams has already shown he is up to it imo, and has played fairly well with make shift centre partnerships.

I guessing the Flood cockers thing is an attempt of "trolling"
No trolling at all. If you really think that Flood has been a worse 10 this season than Youngs has been 9 or Crane 8, then I think you're sadly deluded. Similarly if you think that Mele and Waldrom don't offer better options currently. But Crane and Youngs aren't impudent enough to leave or to find an english grandmother.
But Flood lost his head last week and could prob do with a week of not having the extra pressure of captain and take a step back and relax. Flood hasn't been playing well.

Waldrom hasn't been setting the world alight recently so I don't see the problem with that.

With Slater, Deacon and Crane it adds bulk in the set piece and scrum which I assume we will target Irish as it is there weakness. So that is tactics.

Mele should be starting, but he isn't exactly out of favour otherwise he wouldn't have been offered an extension on his 2 year deal when he is only 1 year through it.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

GS wrote:... Irish come to the game on their own patch with a bit of a winning streak while we go away on a not quite losing streak. ...
I hope you’re being unduly pessimistic. Irish’s AP winning streak is three games preceded by losing six on the bounce. Tigers’ equivalent is won two drawn one (calling that a not quite losing streak is hardly fair) preceded by won three lost three - admittedly hardly vintage Tigers but KTF :smt023
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

In fairness I did say Irish had a BIT of a winning streak (and one of those wins was being the only team to have won at Sarries) and I'm afraid I don't see coming from behind at the death to win by the odd point against the 2 worst teams in the league as a winning streak. I also said we can win, but we need to be better than the last 2 games.

BTW what does KTF mean?
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

GS wrote:
BTW what does KTF mean?
Keep The Faith??
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Kissing Tigers Fans I believe.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

GS wrote:In fairness I did say Irish had a BIT of a winning streak (and one of those wins was being the only team to have won at Sarries) and I'm afraid I don't see coming from behind at the death to win by the odd point against the 2 worst teams in the league as a winning streak. I also said we can win, but we need to be better than the last 2 games.
I thoroughly agree.
GS wrote:BTW what does KTF mean?
Apologies for the acronym. In my defence, I blame Bill.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by amazing tiger »

its about time flood was dropped he was awful against gloucester. im not surprised that mele is on the bench youngs had one of his better games last week but mele did speed up the tempo. he is a perfect sub to bring on for the last twenty minutes. tigers to win by 4
:smt023
amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by amazing tiger »

Waldrom hasn't been setting the world alight recently so I don't see the problem with that.
he hasnt but he has been doing a lot better than crane and i think crane goes own his own alot so he becomes isolated.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Odds up for the game:

Irish 6/4
Tigers 4/7
Draw 20/1

Handicap seems to be Irish +3 making them both 10/11

For those with the ultimate faith you can get us at 50/1 with Paddy Power Tigers to win by any score to nil. Seems almost prophetic: Ireland in town to play England, Tigers playing the greens and an Irish bookmaker offering those odds! :smt023
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

amazing tiger wrote:
he hasnt but he has been doing a lot better than crane and i think crane goes own his own alot so he becomes isolated.
I think the exact same of Waldrom....goes on his own and get's isolated and turned over. Difference being that when Waldrom goes he usually gets further, taking teammates by surprise so they have more ground to cover in order to support him as opposed to getting to Crane.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

At his best, Waldrom is the better player, but he has struggled to play to that standard consistently this season. He isn't having the game changing influence he had when he arrived with us. Plus he is starting to get on a bit now. Crane is a more limited player, but he does a good deal more tight work than Waldrom, is a lineout option and has a few more years on his side. Its about the right time for Waldrom to go. And thanks to him for all the excellent work he has done for us. By all accounts, Pearce is a bit of a machine.
RWA
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by RWA »

DT.....an excellent summary regarding both number 8s. Crane does a lot of unseen work, seemingly unseen by a lot of people. Waldrom gets the vote from most as they see him getting over the gain line, but he is woeful at the base of the scrum and gets isolated too often. He gets over excited as well.....vs Sale at home was a classic example. We were well over the advantage line and he had to take it on that one step too far when a certain try was on out wide.