Premiership / HC strategy

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Premiership / HC strategy

Post by L Smith »

Is there a case to say that we should field an LV-type 23 for the HC tie against Clermont? On the face of it, this will have many people up in arms, of that I am sure.
However, considering the pros and cons, maybe this warrants further discussion.
Consider the fact that none of the challengers for P3 & P4 in the AP have the distraction of a HC campaign; yes, Sale and Quins are in the Amlin but I don't think this is comparable. If we go all-out for a very unlikely win in Clermont and end up breaking some of our key personnel, this could be curtains for our Premiership campaign :smt009 .
The HC is arguably / probably the premium club competition in world rugby. However, in the extremely unlikely eventuality that Tigers win the competition, it will not make history per se.
That said, a 10th consecutive Premiership final is probably a feat that would never be achieved again; it would truly be a landmark event.
A further 'pro' would be to see how the under-utilised second string Tigers would benefit from such a game, with practically no expectation restricting their performance.
Consider Cockerill's bare minimum requirements for this year's campaign; I would suggest that it would be qualifying for the knockout stages of the HC and making the AP final. The first part is banked but the second is precariously balanced, considering which teams we will be playing in the run-up to the close of the Premiership.
I am not saying that we should or should not take any given approach; there are some very astute people at Tigers who will make the call; I am merely suggesting that this could be an interesting discussion point on this forum to guage other fans' views on what is important this year.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Premiership / HC strategy

Post by RagingBull »

I expect tigers to go all out and try to win every game they can.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

RagingBull wrote:I expect tigers to go all out and try to win every game they can.
I also.
Still keeping the faith!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

However, in the extremely unlikely eventuality that Tigers win the competition, it will not make history per se.
I would enter a broader discussion but I think on this count alone we can dismiss the rest of your post. Winning the HC in the current climate would IMO surpass anything we have achieved in our history thus far. If that isn't worth going all out for I don't know what is. It would, historically, be massive.

Personally I would rather get to the final of the HC and not even get to the play offs, whether we won the thing or not. But tbh if Cockers was here right now, he would rightly say lots concentrate on the next match. We have to regain some form whatever. That is the first priority right now.
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

You are suggesting that we pretty much throw a game away? I think if Tigers done that then a lot of season ticket holders would not be renewing again, we as fans expect our team to go all out to win and play the best team as possible in big games. A win at Clermont is very unlikely at the moment but I would rather we went and gave it everything even if we are unsuccessful and it costs us in the long run.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I heartily disagree with the top post in this thread, Tigers should always field their strongest team available, whether it is in the Heineken or the Aviva premiership. I don't share the pessimism of this poster, the Clermont home record has got to go sometime and if we can field a team that includes 4 or 5 Lions, presuming hopefully that Manu and Parling will be fit, then we should do so. If we don't make it into the top six of the Aviva and that's always a possibility, then we need to win the HC to qualify for next year's competition
given the proposed parameters of the new cup competition. As Far as I can remember since 1996, we have never not qualified for the European competition.
Not to do so now would be a disaster.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

For me winning the premiership should always be the top priority it is the bread and butter of the club.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Johndudey
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Johndudey »

I find it funny all the people who are saying "we should always put out our best team every game and always aim to win" yet the LV Cup is not mentioned. It is hard to suggest that we put out our best teams for that tournament. I always want to see Tigers winning every game, and I also want to see them winning every competition they are in. However, compromise must be made on both parts. Personally I feel we should give it our all against Clermont and also go for the Premiership. The argument that season ticket holders will be upset is ludicrous. As long as they see a good game of rugby, they'll be happy, win or lose. Not putting our best team out does not mean there won't be a good game of rugby. Unlike our recent performances, what every Tiger fan wants to see is the Tigers spirit and passion and our never say die attitude, win or lose.
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GT1 »

Another poster(all be it a new one) speaking on my/our behalf :smt013
Tigers will send/play the team they believe will win the game whatever the competition!
The LV is accepted even by the sponsors as a development tournament for squad players to shine or not as the case may be!
When I read the team sheet for the game at Clermont I expect to see all the big guns if available on it & I along with the other traveling fans I hope will cheer them to a win!
Please keep posting JD new points of view are welcomed here but don't assume we all think the same I for one am not happy when we lose good game or not.
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

Johndudey wrote:The argument that season ticket holders will be upset is ludicrous. As long as they see a good game of rugby, they'll be happy, win or lose. Not putting our best team out does not mean there won't be a good game of rugby. Unlike our recent performances, what every Tiger fan wants to see is the Tigers spirit and passion and our never say die attitude, win or lose.
I want to see us win, if we win I am happy whether it is a good game or not. If it is a good game as well then that is brilliant. When we lose I couldn't care less if it was a good game, we lost. If we sent a reserve side to Clermont I can almost guarantee there would be uproar from fans however goof a game it turned out to be.
Johndudey
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Johndudey »

Apologies for generalising my opinion, as you say I am new to this. Both good points, definitely changed my opinion. As it's been said, I want as strong a squad as possible against Claremont. I think picking the right team (whether it be strong or not) should result in a decent game. Thank you for shaping my opinion! :smt003
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

I think this is an interesting post from the OP.

There is an alternative scenario - lose the next 2 league games and all we will have left is the HC! :smt010
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

For JohnDudey The LV Cup was set up as a competition specifically aimed at developing young talent and that is why it always takes place during the autumn & spring international window. To suggest that any major club will not put out theior best side for either a Heineken or Aviva match just shows that that person is livimg in cloud cuckoo land.
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

sapajo wrote:For me winning the premiership should always be the top priority it is the bread and butter of the club.
Agree with you Sapajo. And clearly it is for the club. But there in sits the problem. Where does the AP sit the the table of elite rugby targets for English players playing English club rugby. Probably something like this

World Cup
British Lions
Six Nations
European cup
Aviva
LV

So for the club it's good going for AP. And for us supporters also.
But for the players it's no good in the sense that it prevents them performing to their optimum, or indeed playing at all, in the more important rugby competitions above the AP.
An unsolvable situation, unfortunately for the sake of the players.
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GT1 »

btw Welcome to the forum JD I hope your cuckoo's are all well this morning!
Most of us on here are quite friendly honest - just the odd triple poster to ignore :smt023