Are the Tigers Board dumbing down.............???????????

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Are the Tigers Board dumbing down.............???????????

Post by fortysix »

Despite having Peter Tom on the Board , Tigers seem to be refusing to buy any ''star'' player-----------it seems we might become like Arsenal, always there or thereabouts but with no appetite to keep our noses in front of the opposition.

Our purchases have been based on frugality, and hope a percentage of them come good at Welford Road.

Presumably the Board wont sanction any obvious International player for the reason they will get wounded and injury prone plus Englands tactics and training make them worse, on the field.

So is the Supporters fate for 2014/5 just a single nugget in Burns and a host of journeymen like Bai ?????

When can we purchase some backs with something called electric pace???
We have a host of them who really got shown up yesterday!

I would welcome back Varndell asap !!!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: Are the Tigers Board dumbing down.............????????

Post by tigerburnie »

Miles Benjamin was bought in to add pace, Adam Thompstone and Matt Smith are very fast players. Manu has some speed to go with his explosive power, the problem the team has is they are either still injured or just had their first game back after being injured. What some fans need to understand is we are already paying up to the salary cap, all the "world class" players are going to France or Japan for wages well over double what we can pay.
Reality is we have a great team, if we can keep them all fit and on the field, we get one player back and then England have gone and broken one our key players, Dan Cole.
If we can put out the same week two weeks running, which I don't think we have recently, then maybe we will gel and the playoffs will be reached, just like we have done for the past nine seasons.
Have you thought of trying to be positive and support the team, rather than slagging them off?
You don't know who we have signed(apart from the obvious Mr Burns)yet already they are not good enough. I recall the same slagging of players like Goneva and Mafi, they were called names before they'd even pulled a Tigers shirt on, then what do you know, they turn out to be alright after all.
The season is coming to the sharp end soon, once again we expect our lads to perform, how about getting behing them and roaring them on, rather than stabbing people in the back.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Having said that if Cockers can't solve the problems is it time for him to move on? Having read the original post on this thread, it may be that problems lie further up the chain of command. I can't believe that if Burns is coming at £300,000 per annum, they could hope to retain somebody like Manu who is worth 3 times that amount. I think when they knew that Flood was leaving, panic set in, because to me Burns is a panic buy and of course your number 10 is important but
to spend an inordinate sum of money on 1 player is bad economics and if Burns doesn't work out, what then?
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

tigerburnie wrote: If we can put out the same week two weeks running, which I don't think we have recently, then maybe we will gel and the playoffs will be reached, just like we have done for the past nine seasons

All our yesterdays springs to mind
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

fortysix wrote:When can we purchase some bl**dy backs with something called electric pace???
We have a host of them who really got shown up yesterday!

I would welcome back Varndell asap !!!
See there is lies the problem. The perception that we do not have the pace to achieve. We most certainly do. The problem is getting ourselves in a position to use that pace. We're running dummy lines stood still, getting forwards int he line where the pace guys should be.

Our problem is not our squad - its the injuries and consequentially the player selection and then the game management of the team when it isn't clicking - at some point you have to question just how much our injury situation reflects our team management.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

at one point yesterday we had 2 centres and a wing in the ruck, and 4 forwards in the back line, who were unable to track across and stop Glaws who had backs in their back line.

Perhaps we should buy faster forwards?
Valhalla I am coming!
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

fleabane wrote:at one point yesterday we had 2 centres and a wing in the ruck, and 4 forwards in the back line, who were unable to track across and stop Glaws who had backs in their back line.

Perhaps we should buy faster forwards?
Maybe we should have a look at some of this lot :smt023

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bmuBLzarhEM
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

The Tigers' board are renowned for their conservatism and lack of imagination. They are also obsessed with income, often at the expense of rugby quality and have less and less awareness of supporters.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

Noddy555 wrote:Having said that if Cockers can't solve the problems is it time for him to move on? Having read the original post on this thread, it may be that problems lie further up the chain of command. I can't believe that if Burns is coming at £300,000 per annum, they could hope to retain somebody like Manu who is worth 3 times that amount. I think when they knew that Flood was leaving, panic set in, because to me Burns is a panic buy and of course your number 10 is important but
to spend an inordinate sum of money on 1 player is bad economics and if Burns doesn't work out, what then?
So you've taken speculation about a players wage attributed it as fact and then made a series of ludicrous assertions.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Isambard wrote:The Tigers' board are renowned for their conservatism and lack of imagination. They are also obsessed with income, often at the expense of rugby quality and have less and less awareness of supporters.
Indeed the chickens have now come home to roost and we are now seeing the result.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

"Get behind the team" is the eternal cry from Burnie in Scotland.
Had you actually been there you would have been as dismayed as the crowd were.
You know, the crowd that goes to every game, year in year out. The people who
spend a small fortune on a season ticket and substantial travelling expenses.
I doubt any of us are unaware of the injury problems. We support and cheer them to the rafters BUT.
You can't get the feel of "summut" wrong sitting up in Scotland.
We all saw it and knew it. When a team is arguing amongst themselves there is
a major fault there. I have seen it many times but hardly ever from a Tigers team.
I can forgive them being gallant losers as long as thy give their everything
and play as a team. Losing is not a shameful thing, it's the way we play that counts.
Above all, they have a duty to the supporters who pay their wages.
When you have great young players frustrated on the bench watching the preferred
ones playing so badly, no wonder they want away.
The man at the top picks the team, calls the tactics, uses the subs.
Some hitherto, very loyal supporters, are not at all impressed with RC.
If the board continue to ignore matters it will come to a head soon enough.
A life long Tiger
Tigerwiggy

Post by Tigerwiggy »

Great post Smudge :smt002
30 years of following the best Rugby team in the world
wardy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by wardy »

Well said Smudge!! Couldn't have put it any better myself. Wait now for the happy clapper brigade.
Give blood, play rugby!!
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Smudges post seems spot on....things MIGHT turn out all right but the portents are not good !!!

Must admit watching on TV yesterday didnt show the overall dissention, but I cannot believe Deacon should be allowed to continue like that . He did not seem interested and there were others yesterday seemingly not much better.

Losing Cole is really really going to hurt.

We need - Top class wing pacer to go with Benjamin, a classy quick centre( or two if Goneva goes ), 2 new No 8's and two more high density props. For starters.........
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

Isambard wrote:The Tigers' board are renowned for their conservatism and lack of imagination. They are also obsessed with income, often at the expense of rugby quality and have less and less awareness of supporters.
Yet we consistently win trophies and spend up to the cap?

Get over yourself.