Tigers v Glaws

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Glaws

Post by The Boy Dave »

My particular worries are the performances of Salvi and Tait: both are trying hard but just not succeeding. Salvo is just not performing at the breakdown as we know he can, and Tait keeps running into trouble yet today the one time he had space he kicked
Amazing, I could not disagree more!
I though Tait did OK, not his greatest game but still OK.
Salvi took another right battering for the cause, if others around him were a little smarter they might recognize that Salvi is being outnumbered with special treatment when he goes near the breakdown and they should look to attack the next couple of rucks when opposition could be short of numbers and work harder to support Salvi's efforts, rather than just flopping on top or even just standing watching in some cases.
Cheery chappy
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

All in all a bad day at the office. The plus was that we managed a win the negative was a pretty poor performance. We couldn't catch and couldn't pass or do the basics well. Flood was off colour as were one or two others.

Crane is still an issue and needs replacing _ TTTE lookalike needs to be recruited. Thompstone isn't at last years form but that will return.Second row didn't function today but improved when Deacon came on. Ben was better today and in my view when he was slow getting the ball away the ref was allowing Glaws to slow the game down. Tait had a good game but there isn't any cohesiveness in our back play.

Had we not won today it would have been season over but at least we move on to the next games which may well be a challenge.

I'm not angry or upset but just feel let down :smt022
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
Jose
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jose »

Today disappointing by itself, but now really worried re direction of club and coaching. Waldrom not perfect but is a credible 1st choice premiership 8. Crane isn't. So which one is going? Deacon honest but spectacularly pedestrian in all elements of play, surely there's a better bench option? Smith dutiful but an outside centre who offers zero attacking threat. If refuse to move goneva in (which is utterly ridiculous in itself) why not give catchpole a go? Ben Youngs great but looks broken currently. Give him a break especially as mele eminently competent and looks in good form whenever he's on the pitch. Think waldrom being discarded reflects more poorly on management than 12T or Ford departures. Not sure why likes of scully and younger players of potential rarely picked in front of smith ,deacon, hamilton, etc.
Joe The Tigers Fan
St John Tiger
Tiger Cub

Post by St John Tiger »

I cannot remember when Tigers played so badly two weeks running. They were lucky against Worcester last week and Glaws should have nailed us. Flood has his mind far away (South of France) and Ben Youngs was pedestrian at best. Start Melee and Williams next week with Salvi as captain, then we might get a more cohesive performance. We are lucky that we played sides in the bottom quarter of the table; against better sides we will get hammered. On our current performance the Clermont game could be an embarrassment!
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

Jose wrote:Today disappointing by itself, but now really worried re direction of club and coaching. Waldrom not perfect but is a credible 1st choice premiership 8. Crane isn't. So which one is going? Deacon honest but spectacularly pedestrian in all elements of play, surely there's a better bench option? Smith dutiful but an outside centre who offers zero attacking threat. If refuse to move goneva in (which is utterly ridiculous in itself) why not give catchpole a go? Ben Youngs great but looks broken currently. Give him a break especially as mele eminently competent and looks in good form whenever he's on the pitch. Think waldrom being discarded reflects more poorly on management than 12T or Ford departures. Not sure why likes of scully and younger players of potential rarely picked in front of smith ,deacon, hamilton, etc.
I have to question who these 'younger players of potential' are? From what I've seen Catchpole isn't good enough for premiership level yet, Pohe has torn an ACL so is out for almost a year and Dunn isn't currently better than Smith. Scully was picked ahead of Hamilton today and was decent when he came on. Deacon was solid if not spectacular but other than De Chaves who would have stepped up? Mafi could have played there although I don't think he has been anywhere near top form since he returned from Oz. It's all well and good saying that we should have picked younger players but the players have to be good enough to be selected first. Unfortunately we most likely won't be able to give some of the younger players a chance this year, we have to win every game to have any chance of reaching the playoffs and those aren't exactly the best circumstances to blood youngsters in.
doublecarpet

Post by doublecarpet »

This is the season we may not reach the Top 6, never mind Top 4, and missed out on The Heineken Cup, if there is one!!
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Though Crane was pretty good along with Tom Youngs and Salvi but our problem seems to lie with not have a back row that can clear away the opposition to give quick ball and not having a creative centre. Smith and Allen are too alike so without Bowden there is no creativity. How long is Bowden out for! As for Scully doing ok! Heck! What a star as it was his two superb catches under very good high balls that actually secured the ball at the end and the win. Then again:
Look at the other scores this weekend- Bath- a lucky bounce of the ball at the end of the game and win secured-Quins scrape through v Newcastle and Sarries scrape a win, so we are all in the same boat. Difference this year is other teams have also learnt to win ugly so we have no comfortable lead.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="jgriffin"]

And BTW we played utterly carp for several parts of the last 3 seasons

[/quote]

Yes, but when it mattered we have come good and played some scintillating stuff. It was almost as if 'playbooks' were kept back until the business end of the season. There's no sign of that happening this year.
Also, those relating this to Murphy coming in seem to be forgetting that it is Burke who replaced MOC.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

OK, I'll say it. Over the last few years MOC was blamed for the bad Tigers performances. He's gone and things are worse. Cocker's man management skills are non-existant, unless your name is Crane or Deacon. Just ask Castro, 12T, Ford and Waldrom to name a few. He said that he doesn't understand why the players can't manage the basic skills. There is a theory that in any group of people there's one who nobody likes or respects and if you don't know who it is - it's you. OK, you don't have to like the boss but you need to respect him. I suspect that he has made the common mistake made in British management, that of not knowing the difference between being a good manager and that place that isn't your elbow.

If I was Owen Williams or David Mele i'd be wondering why I bothered when the people you understudy are obviously playing way below par but you can't get a game - and I don't count a 10 minutes max cameo at the end of a disaster as getting a game.

Great forwards coach he may be but I'm afraid a creative DOR he ain't. And before you trot out the injuries excuse I would point out that most of the players in Tigers teams this season would walk into most of the teams we have played, but probably not on this season's performances.

I will now stand back while the Cockers brigade assure us that when we get the injuries back we'll take the Premiership by storm with a great run in to the championship final, because that is what we do, and that even Sarries have slipped up recently. And Smurfs probably can't believe his luck in the hours of meaningless posts he can now make just to stir it up. :smt003 :smt006
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Once again I will point out that a pro source close to the dressing room said to me in November that Tigers were in a dire state, down to teaching players to play in other positions because of the horrendous injury situation, and the decline of some key players.
Almost all posters on here TOTALLY ignore the situation we were in. The club scraped through amazingly, and pretty well most was down to good management. Flatman said almost EXACTLY that at the end of the rugby round-up on Sunday.

Cockers' weird fixations (players, subs) have been well commented on (and are apparently to some degree real), and the seeming weakness of current coaching (let's ignore the situation outlined above :smt011 ), However not much is different from last season EXCEPT the first half of the season situation. People's memories of past seasons seem awfully selective.
I had an early season bet on Tigers making the top 4 and it's still on. It will be one of those seasons were we don't do so well, maybe. I can remember that Goode/TV 93rd minute try that dragged us into the top 6, when that was the highlight of a rubbish season. We have poor seasons, all teams do.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
chinnjamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chinnjamie »

I'm sorry JG but people are entitled to disagree with you, and just because they happen to disagree with you it doesn't mean they have selective memories or have not been watching Tigers for how ever many seasons, and you also make it pretty clear that you didn't rate M O'Connor, but some of us do rate him and think he should of been replaced if he was to leave. People can disagree without one opinion being inferior to another.
Yes we have been unlucky with injuries, and yes it takes players time to gel, however every other season when we have turned it around, or been through a worrying patch, there has been something to hang on too and a glimmer of hope in my opinion. The last 2 weeks we have had a world class team out there and we are getting worse, not only that but the players and management are proving something's not right in the camp by bickering on the pitch and giving interviews about how you can't understand why the players can't perform the basics. I'm not one of the people calling for Cockers head by the way, I just think he needs a bit of help from an experienced backs coach.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

as good as Gibson has been at 6 I feel its time to get Mafi in, his added pace could inject something that's been missing since Croft went down, hell have either or at 8 in place of Crane.

Also as I have said in the Flood thread, Cockrill NEEDS to show willing to drag his captain off, especially when he is as inept as he was yesterday, no wonder Ford left with the preferential treatment Flood so clearly gets...
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

JG, I understand exactly what you are saying and accept that we were in a dire position early this season. I am amazed and impressed that we are in the position we're in despite everything and all credit to those who did play out of position and made a reasonable fist of it. The Tigers have played through a terrible situation that would have scuppered most teams and are in a good position, I'm not denying that. Yes we beat Wuss and Glaws, just, while other teams were playing below par. But I didn't see much yesterday to inspire belief. I watched a team who's performance looked jaded or tired, or even worse, couldn't be bothered. You may be playing out of position but at this level you should be able to catch and pass a ball.

I understand and respect your views and I don't expect Tigers to win everything every season. I just want them to look as if they might and they actually do want to win everything, or something at least.

And now I see Dan Cole is out for a while, great.
http://www.leicestertigers.com/news/188 ... wHXWiiQm1w
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

What ever the reason is for our performance yesterday, do you not think if the crowd got behind the team and tried to raise their spirits, things might have got better a bit earlier in the game? Playing in almost silence in part of the game must have an affect on the players morale?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

tigerburnie wrote:What ever the reason is for our performance yesterday, do you not think if the crowd got behind the team and tried to raise their spirits, things might have got better a bit earlier in the game? Playing in almost silence in part of the game must have an affect on the players morale?
No.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity