Leeds re-branding

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fentiger
Super User
Super User

Leeds re-branding

Post by fentiger »

So, McGeechan has come up with a wonderful idea to re-brand Leeds Carnegie as Yorkshire Carnegie. This is but the first step towards regions in English rugby. It is also extremely arrogant to assume that no other town/city in Yorkshire may ever allude to producing a top level side.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Re: Leeds re-branding

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

fentiger wrote:So, McGeechan has come up with a wonderful idea to re-brand Leeds Carnegie as Yorkshire Carnegie. This is but the first step towards regions in English rugby. It is also extremely arrogant to assume that no other town/city in Yorkshire may ever allude to producing a top level side.
As BJ might say, what is your source :smt003
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Multiple sources, all over Twitter etc. Bayfield, Fissler to name but two. :smt003
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

Rotherham were top of the championship prior to yesterday's defeat at Welsh.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Smurphswillgetya wrote:
fentiger wrote:So, McGeechan has come up with a wonderful idea to re-brand Leeds Carnegie as Yorkshire Carnegie. This is but the first step towards regions in English rugby. It is also extremely arrogant to assume that no other town/city in Yorkshire may ever allude to producing a top level side.
As BJ might say, what is your source :smt003
http://sport.bt.com/rugbyunionhub/rugby ... 3874470526
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

What a wonderful quote from the article kindly supplied by WhitecapTiger.

Gary Hetherington, Leeds Rugby chief executive, said: “The Leeds Academy has long been recognised as the best in the country and that is clearly demonstrated by the success of players such as Danny Care, Calum Clark, Rob Webber and most recently Luther Burrell. These players are the latest in a long history of world class players from Yorkshire that includes the likes Sir Ian McGeechan, John Spencer, Mike Tindall and Rob Andrew.

The Leeds Academy has long been recognised as the best in the country. Really?
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

BJ. wrote:What a wonderful quote from the article kindly supplied by WhitecapTiger.

Gary Hetherington, Leeds Rugby chief executive, said: “The Leeds Academy has long been recognised as the best in the country and that is clearly demonstrated by the success of players such as Danny Care, Calum Clark, Rob Webber and most recently Luther Burrell. These players are the latest in a long history of world class players from Yorkshire that includes the likes Sir Ian McGeechan, John Spencer, Mike Tindall and Rob Andrew.

The Leeds Academy has long been recognised as the best in the country. Really?
You have to remember that for many Yorkshire folk, county and country are coterminous, God's own county/country.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Yorkshire man
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Yorkshire man »

You might guess from my log on name where my allegiance lies when it comes to Gods own Country, but I cannot believe the arrogance of Leeds by taking the county name as if they have the divine right to lord it over all others. It should be remembered that they are a new club formed not too many years ago from the merger of Headingley and other less well known Leeds clubs, and this is not their first rebranding which is done mainly for financial reasons. I am surprised that the county RFU have not objected to this latest effort at financial expansion. Being Yorkshire born and proud to have lived in the county all my life I am disgusted by this action.
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

Leaving aside the emotive issue of the name, the simple answer to this is that no other town or city in Yorkshire will ever produce a top level rugby union side. We are close on 20 years into the professional game and the gap between the top and those lower is getting wider and wider.

So Yorkshire has a choice. Either to come together and have a possibility of one elite team, or not come together and have no elite teams.

Its not a first step towards regions. Just a practical analysis of reality in that area for rugby union.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Yorkshire man wrote:You might guess from my log on name where my allegiance lies when it comes to Gods own Country, but I cannot believe the arrogance of Leeds by taking the county name as if they have the divine right to lord it over all others. It should be remembered that they are a new club formed not too many years ago from the merger of Headingley and other less well known Leeds clubs, and this is not their first rebranding which is done mainly for financial reasons. I am surprised that the county RFU have not objected to this latest effort at financial expansion. Being Yorkshire born and proud to have lived in the county all my life I am disgusted by this action.
Precisely my thoughts, I don't live in Yorkshire but in Cambridgeshire and if any club in this county did that I'd be incensed.
tig1 wrote:Leaving aside the emotive issue of the name, the simple answer to this is that no other town or city in Yorkshire will ever produce a top level rugby union side. We are close on 20 years into the professional game and the gap between the top and those lower is getting wider and wider.

So Yorkshire has a choice. Either to come together and have a possibility of one elite team, or not come together and have no elite teams.

Its not a first step towards regions. Just a practical analysis of reality in that area for rugby union.
I refer you to the earlier reference to Rotherham? Maybe not currently Premiership but they were a few years ago the first ever Yorkshire representatives in the Premiership!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

At least Leeds play their (home) games in Yorkshire.

Was[s, Irish and Welsh play their (home) games in not London.
Still keeping the faith!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

How does this make their future sustainable and better equiped to be a professional club. It's a complete pile of :censored:.
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

I think that Leeds is a stronger brand than Yorkshire.

Maybe the same sort of politics and financial confusion as has troubled the football club for ages and ages. It is very Yorkshire for everyone in a committee to have different opinions but all know that they are right.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

As a Yorkshireman myself I think it is outrageous of Leeds to try to claim to represent the entire county in this fashion. If and when they ever return to the Premiership they may find another Yorkshire based team such as Rotherham already there. What then? It will also cause confusion with the legitimate Yorkshire representative team. Hopefully there will be a change of mind.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

We rebranded the Crumbie as the something else. It is still the Crumbie. But the rebranding has resulted in £k sponsorship.

Who is paying for the Leeds rebranding?
Still keeping the faith!