Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BJ.
Super User
Super User

Treviso are quitting the Pro 12

Post by BJ. »

According to Planet Rugby.

Evidently, they are leaving at the end of this season which will see them honour their original 5-year agreement.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Treviso are quitting the Pro 12

Post by daktari »

BJ. wrote:According to Planet Rugby.

Evidently, they are leaving at the end of this season which will see them honour their original 5-year agreement.
who are the Irish and the Scots going to play against next season - the whole thing has turned into a right mess.
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

daktari wrote:
BJ. wrote:According to Planet Rugby.

who are the Irish and the Scots going to play against next season - the whole thing has turned into a right mess.
IMO (and I did express it much, much earlier) it was inevitable.
Still keeping the faith!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

This fits with the Italian proposal that Italian Clubs concentrate on developing a viable league of their own, the money pumped into Treviso and Zebre and it's predecessors not succeeding in developing the game nationally.

Sad!
Valhalla I am coming!
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GT1 »

This is a real shame for Treviso rugby & the town in general as I'm sure it benefited greatly on Rabo/HC weekends!
It looks like they maybe interested in what replaces the HC so not the last we will see of them!
What about a pre-season friendly with them(in Italy obviously) had enough of Ulster now :smt023
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="GT1"]This is a real shame for Treviso rugby & the town in general as I'm sure it benefited greatly on Rabo/HC weekends!
It looks like they maybe interested in what replaces the HC so not the last we will see of them!
What about a pre-season friendly with them(in Italy obviously) had enough of Ulster now :smt023[/quote]

I agree - a real shame as they have improved and are starting to show signs of becoming competitive.
It's all getting very messy.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Whilst I feel for all the people involved in the mess I can't help feeling that at the end of the day all this trouble is a 'good thing'. As my Grandmother used to say ad nauseam 'the only way out of trouble is through it' and the sooner this all comes to the boil properly the better.

With the Welsh following the logical path taken decades ago by wendyball and joining their natural partners - England, I suspect that Scotland would also be well advised to imitate the Italians. Where this would leave the Irish who at root have caused the current problems by essentially being given permission to cheat when European competition was launched I don't know.

I used to love watching club rugby in Northern Ireland in the 70s - some of the best, most intense rugby I ever watched, but it is difficult to see how the huge investment that's been made in changing provincial selections into professional franchises could be unpicked.

I'd hate to be pinned down to guessing where European RU will be in 5 years time.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

DickyP wrote:I'd hate to be pinned down to guessing where European RU will be in 5 years time.
My guess is that it will be competion between English and French Clubs.

And at International Level a competition between centrally contracted Irish, Welsh, Scottish, Italian sides and the English and French. And in 10 years time there will be no Irish, Welsh, Scottish or Italian Clubs.

DV I live to see either.
Still keeping the faith!
amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by amazing tiger »

not surprised to be hounest but where will they play next year also why arent zebre leaving they are the worser of the two
SouthMunster

Post by SouthMunster »

amazing tiger wrote:not surprised to be hounest but where will they play next year also why arent zebre leaving they are the worser of the two
Zebre are leaving too.
The Italian presence in the Celtic league always struck me as an anomaly.
I'm sure the italian ambition was always to have their own pro league one day.
It was always a question of timing.
I think our league is more cohesive without them.
10 league Celtic league next season, I think it's ideal.
And I'm certain that the Welsh will be in.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I'm also certain the Welsh will be in - Pontypool, Cardiff, etc., Glyndwr 1404 or some invented franchise.
The regions may well not be regions any more.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
SouthMunster

Post by SouthMunster »

jgriffin wrote:The regions may well not be regions any more.
They never were with the possible exception of Ospreys.
A lot of Welsh people would like to see the end of the existing 'regions' and have them replaced by WRU controlled regional sides that weren't just pre-existing clubs in disguise
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

SouthMunster wrote:They never were with the possible exception of Ospreys.
A lot of Welsh people would like to see the end of the existing 'regions' and have them replaced by WRU controlled regional sides that weren't just pre-existing clubs in disguise
And an equal number regard regional rugby as the spawn of satan, hence the problems in Wales.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

So, seeing as the battle cry has been equal representation for each league, does this mean the Italians get 6 teams in whatever new European Cup is set up?
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

biffer wrote:So, seeing as the battle cry has been equal representation for each league, does this mean the Italians get 6 teams in whatever new European Cup is set up?
I'm pretty sure there would be no plans to increase the number of sides taking part, so it would probably result in the other leagues having fewer representatives.