Friday night 6N matches at Twickenham?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BJ.
Super User
Super User

Friday night 6N matches at Twickenham?

Post by BJ. »

It could be a possibility for the 2016 6N depending on how RWC2015 goes, according to today's Daily Telegraph here.

Oh well, as long as the TV companies are happy and the corporate set who don't know a fly-half from a flanker are suitably wined and dined, why should they give a toss about the travelling supporters? :smt013 :smt013 :smt013

AMENDMENT: Apologies. The article originally appeared in the Daily Telegraph on Wed 22 Jan and not today as I previously said.
Last edited by BJ. on Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Friday night 6N matches at Twickenham?

Post by jgriffin »

BJ. wrote:It could be a possibility for the 2016 6N depending on how RWC2015 goes, according to today's Daily Telegraph here.

Oh well, as long as the TV companies are happy and the corporate set who don't know a fly-half from a flanker are suitably wined and dined, why should they give a toss about the travelling supporters? :smt013 :smt013 :smt013
+1 well said, sir.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Granby
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Granby »

Another reason not to bother with England any more.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

I suspect the ideal for the 'suits' is a centrally contracted 'Team Red Rose' who play Fridays, Sundays, midweek, Dubai, Hong Kong - anywhere that raises revenue
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Or the fact that 99% of fans who watch England games will be watching at home or in their local pub/rugby club so the actual kick off time doesn't really matter.

I'm sure there are 60,000(?) fans out there (no idea how many real fans i.e. not free tickets from sponsors or corporates etc actually go to Twickenham to be honest!) that will happily buy tickets for the game knowing it is a late kick off.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

So, added to the normal Friday night rush-hour travel in South West London and surrounding area there is to be an additional 80,000 travellers. This will extend to places such as Reading station, a major connexion for travellers from the West and Midlands. Wonderful.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

the BBC have rights to the 6 Nations, I very much doubt they want to disrupt their Friday night schedule on BBC 1 for Rugby