Teams up v Bath (LV Cup)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Re: Teams up v Bath (LV Cup)

Post by TTRITH »

The LV Cup is important. It should be viewed as a development tournament considering we don't have one of them anymore...
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

In the past the LV cup was important for getting into Europe if you were not going to make the top 6. The only years Tiger struggle to get into the Top 6 is world cup year. Since there is no English Clubs in HC next season then the LV is only important for giving fringe players a game. Objective achieved :smt001
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Smurphswillgetya wrote: the LV is only important for giving fringe players a game. Objective achieved :smt001
Scully, Hamilton, Mafi, Hawkins, TTTE, Smith, Williams, De Chaves are all fringe players?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

sapajo wrote:
Smurphswillgetya wrote: the LV is only important for giving fringe players a game. Objective achieved :smt001
Scully, Hamilton, Mafi, Hawkins, TTTE, Smith, Williams, De Chaves are all fringe players?
Apart from Williams and TTTE, this season they have been. Those players you mentioned, with the exception of those 2, have all generally had a lot less game time due to injuries ect. and therefore could do with a run out. The back 3 was basically the bare bones anyway, so we played what we had.
Tiger Cub

Post by 1979 »

Purebob wrote:
Ian Cant wrote:Like it or not, and let's not bang on about injuries,(all clubs have them), we no longer have the squad or talent that the likes of Bath, Northampton, Sarries and Quins have. Every match in a professional era should count and now I fear we will struggle v even the likes of Worcester. I hope I am proved wrong and will continue to cheer the team on, but this is the time for the club to take a serious look at recruitment and put the injuries out of the minds of everyone. In other words,just get back to winning and playing with more heart!
Players missing last night not injured:

Cole - International duty
OTY - International duty
YBY - International/rested.
Thompstone - International duty

First team players rested for the important battles ahead.

Allen
Ayerza
Briggs
Crane
Deacon
Flood
Goneva
Mele
Salvi
Slater

Injured

Benjamin
Bowden
Camacho
Croft
Kitchener
Morris
Logo
Parling
Tait
Manu

Tell me again that our squad is poor and injuries don't matter ?
Well said. While I appreciate a loss at home is not an event to celebrate regardless of the competition I find myself astounded at the pessimism from many quarters. Yes we lost but we had a genuinely second string team out against a Bath team that was definitely not. Though Bath deserved the win we were competitive in the first half and their experience probably told in the second. Even then the game could probably have been better contested were it not for an unnecessary yellow and a couple of tries that should have gone to the TMO.....Barnes still trying to shrug off his Tigers best buddies tag!!

-For those suggesting no depth in the squad, really!!...I mean just taking the Flankers as an example later this season or next all fit we can choose from Croft/Salvi/Mafi/Gibson/Matera....oh I see, you're right no depth! No quality there at all...appalling recruitment by Cockers and the team!

-For those suggesting injuries don't matter, really!!....at what point would you acknowledge that it does? If we'd had a slightly worse injury list this year and only been able to field a squad dominated by under 12's from a tag rugby team would you then concede that injuries would have an impact on results or would you expect them to man up and take the game to our opposition and blame Cockerill for not having them more adequately prepared...it is after all an attritional game!!!
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

[quote="Purebob"
First team players rested for the important battles ahead.

Allen
Ayerza
Briggs
Crane
Deacon
Flood
Goneva
Mele
Salvi
Slater

Injured

Benjamin
Bowden
Camacho
Croft
Kitchener
Morris
Logo
Parling
Tait
Manu

Tell me again that our squad is poor and injuries don't matter ?[/quote]

Well said Pb & 1979 for that matter, except Pb: you need to move this one, Crane did his shoulder-possibly a dislocation- vs Ulster.

People, just a reminder, in the league and the HC, you win nothing halfway through the season, you can only lose it (like, say, Saints and Quins have done). If anyone is willing to genuinely argue that that's we've already lost then fine; you'll be wrong though...
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

The LV has gone for this year.
I think the main source of some peoples frustration stems from comments, when we win in the LV it is an excellent competition and a trophy worth winning but when we lose some conveniently state that it's only the LV and it doesn't matter.
Folk need to make their minds up and be consistent, to me every competition matters!

On the match itself against Barf, some are saying we played well first half, I disagree. I thought we scored two good tries, one a good effort and the other a moment from Scully, we were pretty average apart from those moments. Bath were good in all areas and even in bad weather they played some good stuff. They put us under a lot of pressure. You have to give credit where it's due sometimes and I think Bath have an excellent mix of power, pace and nouse, but the most surprising thing is their youth and their depth, if that group stay together they will be a massive threat to everyone in the future. I feel a little foolish as I like many others laughed when they signed Mr Tan Man but he showed his value to their squad last night!
That said when we have everyone available we will compete with them, my only worry is the strength and compatibility of our depth. I don't think we compete on a level in that area and am a little frustrated that our fringe and younger players appear unable to match others. I don't believe it's a development issue, we just aren't good enough in that area at present for several reasons. One the youngsters aren't as good as talked up and two the transfer market is so competitive nowadays and squad depth is a difficult task to achieve, we have struggled as a result with injuries and the LV!
Cheery chappy
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

1979 wrote: a couple of tries that should have gone to the TMO.....Barnes still trying to shrug off his Tigers best buddies tag!!
From the replays I think all the tries where good, it was actually a nice change for a ref to show some bottle and go with his instinct.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Pace, Power, Nouse think we have struggled with all 3 this season. Injuries aside I believe we lack sufficient physicality in depth compared to our competitors. I guess its a question of balance but it is evident that the physicality, pace and sheer size of our opposition has been ramping up whilst ours has not kept pace. I believe that RC must sign more than one monster for next season if we are to maintain a hold at the top of the premiership.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

I don't quite buy into the 'LV Cup is good when we are winning and unimportant when we dont' flip-flop thing. I thought we sort of stumbled into winning the thing a couple of years ago. We didn't look like qualifying until we managed to pull out a surprise win at The Stoop with a young/fringe squad. Then we went Bath in the semi, with a squad that was outmatched on paper, but again pulled out a surprise win. It was only the final that we took more seriously, and that was against the Sinners!
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

I don't know sapajo, people have different ideas and opinions on how to build a successful rugby team and squad. I personally think the game has moved on massively in the past five years and I don't much like our current shape. Others on here would probably laugh but my Tigers team would be very different to the one we put out but at the same time it could include most of the current personnel. People have been banging on about Slater at 8 for two years now, others scoff at the idea. Devoto made Williams look quite lumpy last night. The Bath front five didn't look much but were so busy and very cute. Key positional requirements are very much up for discussion due to the physicality and speed of the game, and the interpretation of the laws. I'm not sure we are on the same page as most others. Still though, when it comes to sheer determination and doggedness our 1st XV competes with anyone.

Darc Tiger, I couldn't care less if you buy into it or not but I prefer to give credit to opposition when deserved and not make excuses. If we weren't out to win last night and I stood freezing in the rain then it will be the last match I attend!
Cheery chappy
Downbathway
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Downbathway »

Well to be honest, we had

Watson
Agulla
Joseph
Eastmond
Rokoduguni
Ford
Young
James
Guinazu
Wilson
Attwood
Garvey
Catt
Heathcote
Williams
Gilbert
Koster
Skuse

Not involved last night.

Added to that, 4 lads with England U20s, who may well have been included in an LV CUp fixture?.

And we still had 9 full internationals included in the matchday 23 last night. Maybe, shock, horror, other teams manage their squads, and injuries better than Leicester?.

Something to think about anyway.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Downbathway wrote: Maybe, shock, horror, other teams manage their squads, and injuries better than Leicester?.

Something to think about anyway.
Would most appreciate it if you can kindly tell us how we can manage our injured players better as we need them back ASAP and your input maybe the key :smt017
Downbathway
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Downbathway »

No need. Apparently Leicester have the best medical and S & C staff in the country. Obviously.

Personally, I'm more than happy withe the job they're doing. Keep up the good work. :smt023
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Now we are out of the cup, congratulations to Exeter Chiefs for qualifying,I hope you win your semi final and are able to challenge for the cup on your own ground. As far as tigers go can we please concentrate 100% on getting players fit and may I suggest the following team for Friday against Worcester.

Backs
Tait (or Scully), Goneva.Smith,Allen, Thompstone (or Benjamin is fit)
Mele and Flood.

Forwards

Ayerza,Hawkins,Mullipola, Salvi,Slater,Kitchener,Gibson, Mafi as No 8 or Crane If Fit.

Subs: Chuter,Stankovich,Balmain, De Chaves, Waldrom, Harrison Williams, Hamilton

This should be good enough to fulfil our minimum requirement of a Bonus point win.