Calum Clark as Saxons Captain

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Calum Clark as Saxons Captain

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

Absolutely disgusted with the appointment of Calum Clark as Saxons Captain as per ESPN http://www.espn.co.uk/england/rugby/story/211883.html
I know he has served his time for deliberately breaking Hawkins elbow but the sort of person capable of such behaviour needs to be kept in line by a strong captain not honoured by an appointment to a position of leadership.
Then again I guess it is the Dylan Hartley approach
Jez

Only Winners Win!
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Re: Calum Clark as Saxons Captain

Post by kingol22 »

Well he commands the respect of the group apparently. I have a feeling that is complete rubbish though as I doubt the players are going to respect someone that went out of his way to seriously injure a fellow professional. Still disgusts me every time he is allowed to take to the pitch :smt013
kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kpb »

I believe it is now time to move on.
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Slancaster selection is nepotistic. Clarke was always favourite for Captain because he had previously been involved with Slancaster at Leeds. Same goes for Care, Wood (likely future England Captain), Burrell et al.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Really? Move on? Exactly what does that mean?

Clark is an example that should have been made, an example that would clean up the game. Very few players would anyway offer that level of aggression, and those that do need to be severely disciplined as an example to others. We are not in the 60s and 70s now. It could have been the end of a player's career - it certainly made a mess of his prospects which were in the ascendant at the time.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kpb »

jgriffin wrote:Really? Move on? Exactly what does that mean?
The same way in which we moved on from Manus attack on Ashton. At the time of attack who knew what lasting affects it may have had on Ashton?,several blows to the head could have cost him career or worse.....

We forgave him and moved on.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

There is no moral parity between a one-sided punch-up instigated, via a knee, by the person who found he had picked on the wrong guy, and deliberately reaching for a helpless opponents arm and using my body weight and leverage to snap it.

BTW my Stains-in-laws loved it, because they thought Ashton was a cock, their dislike compounded by his move to Saffacens.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kpb »

No attack on the Rugby field is excusable. But as time goes by we all move on no matter how we personally feel about the incident.
Northeast Tiger

Post by Northeast Tiger »

Let us step over it and move on.
I have been watching Callum Clark at the end of last season and this season, and every time there is a bust up he is the first one pulling Saints players away. He tries to diffuse the situation. Billy Twelvetrees who has never been a player with a short fuse also acts with diplomacy during the odd fracas.
We have short memories. One of the worlds worst for going over the top. There was an uproar when he got the Lions and England captaincy from the old farts in the game. "The man is a thug" they cried.
He became a legend at Leicester, England and the Lions.
So give Clark the benefit he may just have turned a corner.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Clark is a thug and should have had a few years of a clean disciplinery record before being looked at as a potential international captain at any level, the attack on Hawkins should never be forgotten, it was cowardly and premeditated and should stick with Clark forever!!
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Captain material? :smt011
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

kpb wrote:
The same way in which we moved on from Manus attack on Ashton. At the time of attack who knew what lasting affects it may have had on Ashton?,several blows to the head could have cost him career or worse.....

Bull, it wasn't just that one incident though his career is full of incidents head butting in the JWC, he should have goten the full 64 weeks ban but instead was just 32 weeks which meant he only missed a bit of the season.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Its very difficult to pick a captain though as fans, unless you want to pick a captain solely on moral grounds and ignore the fact that there may well be better "rugby" captains in the team.

I've never been a fan of Borthwick, but he was chosen to captain every side he has played for, by different coaches, so clearly he is a good captain for a team whether the public think so or not.

It is impossible for us to know if Calum Clark gains the respect of the group of players, as we are not part of the group.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

RagingBull wrote:
kpb wrote:

Bull, it wasn't just that one incident though his career is full of incidents head butting in the JWC, he should have goten the full 64 weeks ban but instead was just 32 weeks which meant he only missed a bit of the season.
"Full of incidents" = two incidents in six and a half years?

Yes, he should have got a longer ban - or at least less of a reduction. That he didn't is down to the disciplinary panel, not him. Their failings should not tar Clark further.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Congratulations to Mr Clark for his appointment.

Break a leg son, preferably your own!