French Top 14 in new TV deal-

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

divingrob

French Top 14 in new TV deal-

Post by divingrob »

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2588 ... 94,00.html

The league will receive €70 million for the first two seasons, €71 million in 2016/17 and €72 million for the final two years of the agreement.

Might be losing one or two more players then.
vin rouge
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: French Top 14 in new TV deal-

Post by vin rouge »

to put that into some kind of scale BT sport have paid £152m over 4 years for the premiership.

someone else can work out the exchange rate I'm too lazy! :smt011 :smt010 :smt040
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Wasn't the £152 million including RCC rights as well.

Is the French money including Europe or just the top 14?
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

At todays rates thats approx £60m a year against the Prems £38m per year. But there are two extra clubs. Per club is £4.3m v £3.2m per year. Seen no mention of Europe and given the current state of play would be surprised if anything was included. Of course the English deal is subject to what happens with Europe.
Billb
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Billb »

Sadly this trend mirrors the last 20 years of Professional Football. Increased TV fees feed directly to the players through Agents who see it as a gravy train.

I know the Rugby Players' careers are shorter than in football, but the disparity between French TV fees and the rest of Europe will follow the reverse trend in football from Europe to England. Maximising their pension will be the reason given for players to go to France (look at the ageing Welsh Team).

Interestingly, as more players go to France, Lancaster will have to change the view that he will only select home based players. Expediency will apply as it did when he discussed bringing in Jonny W last year even though the home rule applied then
BillB
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Yes does the BT Sport Deal which starts in September 2015 men that we can finally dispense with the salary cap and compete as a club on equal terms with the froggies?
JerryGas

Post by JerryGas »

Be careful what you wish for - abandoning the salary cap opens the door for clubs to be the playthings of rich benefactors - both Bath and amazingly Bristol would have a significant advantage!
Jerry, Crumbie terrace season ticket holder from South Glos.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Yes Jerry I get your point, but surely some of these rich men are not all the ogres they are pointed out to be. Money is money wherever it comes from, does it matter as long as it keeps the game alive and kicking?
JerryGas

Post by JerryGas »

Just that you end up with titles being bought - moving the competition from the playing field to the cheque book - its a major reason why I became a refugee from soccer.
Jerry, Crumbie terrace season ticket holder from South Glos.
snoopster

Post by snoopster »

Noddy555 wrote:Yes Jerry I get your point, but surely some of these rich men are not all the ogres they are pointed out to be. Money is money wherever it comes from, does it matter as long as it keeps the game alive and kicking?
It isn't that they are bad people but if you have a few very rich peoplebankrolling their teams, then those without a rich backer get left behind.
How many teams couple complete if the salary cap went and Bath and Saracens were able to spend £10m plus a year on players?

i'm not sure it actually helps to keep the game alive and kicking either - it risks forcing more countries out of pro rugby as they can't keep up with the resulting wage inflation, making the game less competitive.
Cockatrice
Tiger Cub

Post by Cockatrice »

snoopster wrote:
Noddy555 wrote:Yes Jerry I get your point, but surely some of these rich men are not all the ogres they are pointed out to be. Money is money wherever it comes from, does it matter as long as it keeps the game alive and kicking?
It isn't that they are bad people but if you have a few very rich peoplebankrolling their teams, then those without a rich backer get left behind.
How many teams couple complete if the salary cap went and Bath and Saracens were able to spend £10m plus a year on players?

i'm not sure it actually helps to keep the game alive and kicking either - it risks forcing more countries out of pro rugby as they can't keep up with the resulting wage inflation, making the game less competitive.
How much are Sarries in debt?
snoopster

Post by snoopster »

Cockatrice wrote:
snoopster wrote:

How much are Sarries in debt?
£5m loss a season, last I saw - I think their SA backer was just sticking the money into the club so they're not actually in debt?
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

But if teams get left behind just because they haven't got a rich backer, shouldn't they be out seeking someone. In business you might bleat about unfair competition but unless you do something about your own situation, you go bankrupt. Rugby as well as being a sport is also a business and realism must prevail at all times even when it seems unpalatable. That is unless you live in Cloud Cuckoo land.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Noddy555 wrote:But if teams get left behind just because they haven't got a rich backer, shouldn't they be out seeking someone. In business you might bleat about unfair competition but unless you do something about your own situation, you go bankrupt. Rugby as well as being a sport is also a business and realism must prevail at all times even when it seems unpalatable. That is unless you live in Cloud Cuckoo land.
You might think that . But from your posts you clearly live in cloud cuckoo land.

:smt005 :smt005 :smt005
Still keeping the faith!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »