The Fall of Ben Youngs

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: The Fall of Ben Youngs

Post by MrPartridge »

I have pointed out the curse of the Lions - look at the state of most of our Lions, injury, suceptibility to injury, form loss - it's called fatigue.
Problem with this argument is that his brother went on the Lions tour and is having a great season... :smt002
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

For 4071 To move the ball quicker from the base of a scrum or ruck and to make decisions. On the field he seems to be hesitating quite a lot and gives the impression of not knowing what to do. Make a decision, if it's the wrong one learn from it, if it's the right one learn from it, but in general to be more decisive. It often appears that he needs to work on his communication skills
particularly with TTE & Crane at No.8. Sometimes you can see his hesitation affecting other players particularly his fellow backs.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

On the field he seems to be hesitating quite a lot and gives the impression of not knowing what to do. Make a decision, if it's the wrong one learn from it, if it's the right one learn from it, but in general to be more decisive.
You assume that Ben is not playing to a pre-agreed plan!
Mele will pump the ball to carriers all day long, very simple, take the contact and play minimum risk rugby.
Ben is looking for some variation, runners in position for the kick chase, forwards in position to attack, offload, make breaks.
It is all slow ball, several guards needed at every ruck, no space, no breaks.
It is a team effort!
Cheery chappy
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

MrPartridge wrote:
I have pointed out the curse of the Lions - look at the state of most of our Lions, injury, suceptibility to injury, form loss - it's called fatigue.
Problem with this argument is that his brother went on the Lions tour and is having a great season... :smt002
No he isn't. He has been excellent or even outstanding the last few games, and seems to have got his wind back for the season.

But at the beginning of the season he had lost his zip, and lost his England place comfortably to Hartley. He had a very disappointing AI in every aspect.

I have every sympathy for these guys being called back by the club 4 weeks after a lions tour. Very poor decision IMHO and certainly the players suffered badly for it.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

tig1 wrote:I have every sympathy for these guys being called back by the club 4 weeks after a lions tour. Very poor decision IMHO and certainly the players suffered badly for it.
Just so. And the poor performance of the Welsh Regions in the HC is maybe down to this too!
Still keeping the faith!
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

No he isn't. He has been excellent or even outstanding the last few games, and seems to have got his wind back for the season.

But at the beginning of the season he had lost his zip, and lost his England place comfortably to Hartley. He had a very disappointing AI in every aspect.

I have every sympathy for these guys being called back by the club 4 weeks after a lions tour. Very poor decision IMHO and certainly the players suffered badly for it.
I don't think it is a simple as that. North and Halfpenny played well all through 2013 (Lions tour or not). What is that end point to the argument? Scarp all future Lions Tours?

Ben is having a bad run of games, by his standards. Class is permanent and form is temporary and he'll be back. I don't think the Lions Tour has anything to do with his current play especially considering it ended months ago...
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Just so. And the poor performance of the Welsh Regions in the HC is maybe down to this too!
When have the Welsh ever done well in the HC?
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

MrPartridge wrote:

I don't think it is a simple as that. North and Halfpenny played well all through 2013 (Lions tour or not). What is that end point to the argument? Scarp all future Lions Tours?

Ben is having a bad run of games, by his standards. Class is permanent and form is temporary and he'll be back. I don't think the Lions Tour has anything to do with his current play especially considering it ended months ago...

No, the Lions is the absolute pinnacle of NH rugby. Why would you scrap it ? So. A player can turn up fresh for pre season friendlies against Jersey ? The Lions is levels above playing for Tigers, and players should have been given a proper off season after the tour completed.

Bens lack of form is not temporary. He made no impact on the lions tour even though Phillips was injured. Ben himself carried an injury thoughout the tour and came back to pre season injured.

The lions tour per se is not the issue, it s more the point that he is only 24 and played more than 150 plus first class games, with never a proper summer break.
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

Yes too much rugby.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Yes too much rugby.
That is something I think we are probably all agreed on and it has impacted on Ben. I seriously believe in 10-20 years time it will be rare to have players over 30 years old playing the game because of injuries and over-play.
Norfolk & Goode
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Norfolk & Goode »

Youngs - after watching the game last night, to say Youngsy had a mediocre game is simply absurd. His first half performance was excellent in all aspects of a 9, playing to a different game plan than the second half game plan. Undoubtedly the right man to start for Tigers.

Mele - a good shift but riddled with errors. Playing behind a much fitter side than the knackered Trevisio makes the job easier. There was no change in tempo when Mele came on, Tigers fitness and class sustained their impact and the momentum, Trevisio faded away.

As for the ridiculous title to this thread, give the man some respect and change it.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Norfolk & Goode wrote:As for the ridiculous title to this thread, give the man some respect and change it.
I couldn't agree more. Here we are heading into a crunch European match with a home quarter-final at stake and people want to denigrate our first-choice scrum half.

To quote Oddball, "Less of the negative waves, man."
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Noddy555 wrote:For 4071 To move the ball quicker from the base of a scrum or ruck and to make decisions. On the field he seems to be hesitating quite a lot and gives the impression of not knowing what to do. Make a decision, if it's the wrong one learn from it, if it's the right one learn from it, but in general to be more decisive. It often appears that he needs to work on his communication skills, particularly with TTE & Crane at No.8. Sometimes you can see his hesitation affecting other players particularly his fellow backs.
And you think NOT playing rugby would help with his decison-making?
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

You only have to look at who has won the Six Nations the year after the POXY Lions have toured and you can see the effect the tour has on individuals. The tour has no place in the current professional climate in my opinion.

Ben badly needs a rest. He is still playing well enough to be our first choice but the fizz and spark that make him World Class is just missing. I remain convinced a proper summer off and he will be the Ben we know.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I agree with Norfolk & Good and others, it seems it has become popular to criticise certain players, Ben Young, Louis Deacon, Jordan Crane and praise others beyond their actual achievements on the pitch, Some tomes I wonder if the critics are actually watching matches or basing comments on radio commentary and press reports. Of course it may be that they see what they have already made up their mind they are going to see.