Thomas the Tank off to Exeter confirmed in Transfer thread

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: Thomas the Tank off to Exeter?

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Makes sense for the Chiefs to sign a decent player with international experience who can play 6 and 8, considering they're Tom Johnson is still often away with England, and Ewers may soon be in the same boat.
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Thomas the Tank off to Exeter confirmed in Transfer thre

Post by Isambard »

I wish him well and think that he is yet another player who has been badly treated by RC.
pipkoi

Post by pipkoi »

I think this is such a shame & yesterday's match showed how we missed him due to Jordan's early injury.
I wish you all the best TTT - I will miss you & especially your try celebrations :smt003 :smt003
Pip
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I wish him well, he's done well for the club. His inconsistencies have stopped him claiming the 8 shirt along with his poor control at the base. His running lines and skill set have been refreshingly different and saved us on a couple occasions. I think he'll do well at the Chiefs.
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

Old Hob wrote:
youngtiger wrote:
Personally I see him as the long-term replacement to Salvi .
Where does it say that the (as I see it) great find and Tiger heart Salvi is leaving?
It doesn't (note the words "long-term", but in 2-3 years I think Matera could quite possibly be one of the best back row forwards in the world. If we were able to keep Julian, who at the moment is playing absolutely brilliantly, as back up, then all the better.
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

Great signing for the Chiefs - terrible departure for us . Hope you're proud RC - man management fails againB
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

Personally I agree with Sam, I think this works for both parties, Waldrom and Crane are too similar, Crane's qualities are in the tight and at the back of the scrum, at what we need as an alternative is a big, bruising carrier, such as this 20st bloke from Rotherham, or perhaps even Opeti Fonua, who's been mentioned on the unoffy.

By the way, here is Opeti Fonua: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HErU5B-oRk
Lincs Stu
Tiger Cub

Post by Lincs Stu »

rocktop51 wrote:Great signing for the Chiefs - terrible departure for us . Hope you're proud RC - man management fails againB

Why does every deprture from Tigers, according to some people, have to be down to Cockers and his handling of that individual? Maybe Exeter are offering him more money. At 31, its probably his last big contract, so who could blame him. Maybe he want's a new challenge. There could be a myriad of reasons for him going that have nothing to do with Cockers.

However, by your logic, as Slater, Allen and Deacon have either extended or are looking to extend, that can only be down to Cockers' excellent Man Mgt skills. Or might there be other reasons that they wish to remain at Tigers?
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Cockers made it clear when asked about him post match at the weekend why Waldrom is being let go. Basically down to his physical attributes. Waldrom has quite rightly figured he will be not starting many games and given this, his age, etc., is going somewhere that he will get starts and game time. It's just normal squad building, rebuilding. I fancy to find a younger, better physical replacement sorted for next season.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

rocktop51 wrote:Great signing for the Chiefs - terrible departure for us . Hope you're proud RC - man management fails againB
That's a rather simplistic view, a team has to evolve and in this day of pro rugby, players will move on . Wish the man well, say thanks and let's see what we get next.Our record of man management is top draw, we have a lot of players re-signing with us who could get more money elsewhere, they choose to stay because they like it at Tigers.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

ourla wrote:Cockers made it clear when asked about him post match at the weekend why Waldrom is being let go. Basically down to his physical attributes. Waldrom has quite rightly figured he will be not starting many games and given this, his age, etc., is going somewhere that he will get starts and game time. It's just normal squad building, rebuilding. I fancy to find a younger, better physical replacement sorted for next season.
I believe we do need at least one monster No8. :smt023 Thats said, letting TTTE go because of his lack of physical attributes and yet retain Crane who I also believe lacks sufficient physicality is bonkers :smt017
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

The meltdown on the facebook page is pretty funny. By the sounds of it the guys we are looking at bringing in are pretty exciting. Crane to provide the steadying influence, and a big scary unit of 2 to bring on and terrify the opposition. Tank isn't getting any younger. Probably the correct decision. Thanks to him for giving us his best years though. :smt023
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Crane is 3 inches taller than Waldrom, the same weight and 3 years younger.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

ourla wrote:Crane is 3 inches taller than Waldrom, the same weight and 3 years younger.
How many players does Crane beat compared to Waldrom and how many times does he break the gainline compared to Waldrom? I believe that is the acid test and true measure of physicality.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Don't know sapajo you tell me but I would expect the coaching team at Leicester to know this and all other relevant information. Moreover, the pertinent question is what will they replace Waldrom with. To be fair both Crane and Waldrom had a real purple spell the standard of which they've fallen from. But Crane still has age on his side in terms of being able to do a job over the next couple of seasons.