Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Ant Allen

Post by tig1 »

WhitecapTiger wrote:
tig1 wrote:England have an absolutely world class pack…….. Parling....all capped and brought together by Lancaster.
Often hear/read this offered about Lancaster capping Parling first, I do believe it to be wrong, didn't Parling get selected for the 2010 tour to Oz / NZ - where he got his neck injury? That would make him a MJ selection. He played against the Aussie Barbarians, did that count as a cap? Either way I'd credit MJ with bringing him into the International setup.

Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong :smt023
Ok, I will conceed Parling, Whitecap.

Replace him with Ed slater. :smt023
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Perfect summary of AA's impact in the Mercury article which put succinctly all the points we have rambled about above!

"Anthony Allen's return at inside-centre, after such a long lay-off, was remarkable.

All the things that Tigers have been missing were quickly apparent as he straightened the line, threatened breaks and distributed intelligently, accurately and at the right time."

Whole article is at: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Stand ... story.html
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I take exception to Baggy Trousers comments about Anthony Allen under another heading. Of course we have every confidence in this player, he has played well in
his almost 4 years with the club, and started back with a bang in the 30 minutes he played during the second half of the Treviso game. I'm sure players read such comments on the forum and think why the hell should i play for this team.
Baggy Trousers should think long and hard before writing his posts, as it's not the first time his comments have been contentious. Perhaps he does it just to shock or satisfy some warped ego.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

I was thinking that about you with your ridiculous comments about Ben Youngs.
A life long Tiger
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Smudge, not so ridiculous about Ben Youngs. His performances over the last 6 weeks since he came back from international duty have been poor at best and some would say atrocious. I have nothing personally against any player, but I do judge what I see on the field of play because as a junior I played for my school and county as a scrum half. Ok it's not to premiership or international level, but the basics of the game are the same at any level.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Smudge wrote:I was thinking that about you with your ridiculous comments about Ben Youngs.
:smt023 :smt023 :smt023
Still keeping the faith!
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Noddy555 wrote:Smudge, not so ridiculous about Ben Youngs. His performances over the last 6 weeks since he came back from international duty have been poor at best and some would say atrocious. I have nothing personally against any player, but I do judge what I see on the field of play because as a junior I played for my school and county as a scrum half. Ok it's not to premiership or international level, but the basics of the game are the same at any level.
You are wrong - simple.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

MICKW wrote:Could you please stop saying that Lancaster should be picking Allen, Kitchener, Benjamin etc. Let's try keeping them at the Tigers so that we can win more games.
Agreed in spades!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Big Dai wrote:
MICKW wrote:Could you please stop saying that Lancaster should be picking Allen, Kitchener, Benjamin etc. Let's try keeping them at the Tigers so that we can win more games.
Agreed in spades!
No trumps even! Doubled redoubled and vulnerable!

:smt006
Still keeping the faith!
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

So Noddy, you have a basic understanding of the game, and yet, when lots of people disagree with you, you still consider your opinions correct. In comparison, you find other peoples' offensive and as a consequence of "some warped ego"?

Bizarre. Get a grip.

Oh as for AA, I think he's a classy player that does the basics extremely well, so I'm very glad to have him back and the rumours about his contract extension are very pleasing.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

youngtiger wrote:So Noddy, you have a basic understanding of the game, and yet, when lots of people disagree with you, you still consider your opinions correct. In comparison, you find other peoples' offensive and as a consequence of "some warped ego"?

Bizarre. Get a grip.

Oh as for AA, I think he's a classy player that does the basics extremely well, so I'm very glad to have him back and the rumours about his contract extension are very pleasing.

By his own admission Noddy had an understanding of the game 47+ years ago!

This is relevent today?

:smt017
Still keeping the faith!
snoopster

Post by snoopster »

tig1 wrote:England have an absolutely world class pack. Robshaw, Wood, Morgan, Vainapolas, Launchbury, Youngs, Parling....all capped and brought together by Lancaster.
Wood and Robshaw were capped before, Parling was uncapped but played for the Baa-Baas under MJ and Morgan rejected a call up under MJ.

Lancaster has brought in the players who weren't ready/ available under MJ.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Sorry Dicky P that has yet to happen. We will see what Cockers thinks when he picks the team for this Saturday. Who knows, knowing Cockers he's probably had a chat to Ben about his form already.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

DickyP wrote:Actually he is good enough for England - he's one of those very rare players who always perform at the same level whatever the class of opposition.
Apart for the 3 times he played for England of course :smt017
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike »

It was good to see Allen back and he did tighten up our defence , but I think some of the adulation is a bit over the top . Allen is a good Club player, perhaps very good , but his game is just below International level in so many ways . When Manu is fit and resumes his England career I think that you will see him paired with 12trees , who most Gloucester fans think is doing a great job in dragging along a very poor team .