Ant Allen

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Ant Allen

Post by tig1 »

jgriffin wrote:To me he proves that a brain is far more important than brute force, a lesson SL hasn't vaguely learnt, otherwise he'd select him.
Lancaster took him on the full tour to South Africa in 2012, where he played both midweek games and then named him in the 2012/13 eps squad. He then missed the 2013 summer tour to Argentina because of knee surgery, which was agreed between Lancaster and Tigers, and now he has missed most of the 2013 season with injury.

It is Lancaster that has brought Allen back on the radar at international level after being totally ignored by Johnson and Ashton.

Incidentally, Lancaster is far less obsessed with brute force than Johnson.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Tomvarndell wrote:Nobody would play well at twelve in that :censored: side bud. Billy is class but is playing for a poor side.
Maybe he should have stayed here........?

Sorry. I'll leave now.
vin rouge
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by vin rouge »

Darc Tiger wrote:
Tomvarndell wrote:Nobody would play well at twelve in that :censored: side bud. Billy is class but is playing for a poor side.
Maybe he should have stayed here........?

Sorry. I'll leave now.
With Ford at 10? :smt002 :smt005
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

Rubbish side
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

[quote="PM76"]AA was absolutely magnificent today. I fear, for his sake that Lancaster and Farrell have decided he is not "international class", despite never giving him an opportunity, but this only means we get to see more of him Welford Road which I, for one, am delighted about.[

Simply untrue. He was in the eps for 2012, but then missed more than 3 months when he sliced the tendons in his hand. He has been unavailable for the last 2 AI series and the last summer tour.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

I can only reinforce the praise for AA - we needed him back and what a difference he made in 30 mins.

Would also like to praise Miles - great comeback from injury who looks dangerous every time he touches the ball.

I'd play Goneva at 13 next week - AA will make him look a lot better.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

MrPartridge wrote:I can only reinforce the praise for AA - we needed him back and what a difference he made in 30 mins.
Agree completely. The difference that he made to decision making was vital. He knew when it was appropriate to distribute and when he should try the break, qualities almost entirely lacking until he came on.
jonlin
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jonlin »

Class act today from a class player, 36 was or will never be good enough to lace this man's boots.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

No chance of him disappearing because he's being "bigg'ed up". Read 5 different newspaper reports of the game today and not one mention of him!
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by amazing tiger »

he is a class act and he makes a big difference in defence. nice to see him back
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

tig1 wrote:
jgriffin wrote:To me he proves that a brain is far more important than brute force, a lesson SL hasn't vaguely learnt, otherwise he'd select him.
Lancaster took him on the full tour to South Africa in 2012, where he played both midweek games and then named him in the 2012/13 eps squad. He then missed the 2013 summer tour to Argentina because of knee surgery, which was agreed between Lancaster and Tigers, and now he has missed most of the 2013 season with injury.

It is Lancaster that has brought Allen back on the radar at international level after being totally ignored by Johnson and Ashton.

I would contend that, since anyone who went for a Farrell/Barritt combo or indeed some of the forward choices, and the old Saffacens game plan, could be accused of brute force obsession. I didn't mention MJ BTW so you were attacking a straw man there of your own.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

jgriffin wrote:
tig1 wrote:

I would contend that, since anyone who went for a Farrell/Barritt combo or indeed some of the forward choices, and the old Saffacens game plan, could be accused of brute force obsession. I didn't mention MJ BTW so you were attacking a straw man there of your own.
Fair point about MJ, JG.

Back to the issue, your assertion, and most other posters, was that that Lancaster was failing to select Allen, and was misguided in that failure. That is patently untrue. He was in the tour squad 2012, eps 2012, and since then has been unavailable for at least 10 of 15 tests. Even the 5 he was available for he had just from a 4 month lay off.

Allen is a fine, fine player, and if he can string together a period of form and fitness he will certainly be back in the EPS as a minimum.

Barritt is not big for an inside centre. Lighter than somebody like Twelvetrees, and only slightly heavier than Flood.

England have an absolutely world class pack. Robshaw, Wood, Morgan, Vainapolas, Launchbury, Youngs, Parling....all capped and brought together by Lancaster.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

tig1 wrote:England have an absolutely world class pack…….. Parling....all capped and brought together by Lancaster.
Often hear/read this offered about Lancaster capping Parling first, I do believe it to be wrong, didn't Parling get selected for the 2010 tour to Oz / NZ - where he got his neck injury? That would make him a MJ selection. He played against the Aussie Barbarians, did that count as a cap? Either way I'd credit MJ with bringing him into the International setup.

Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong :smt023
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hinckley Bob »

AA is excellent in all aspects of the role and 12Ts obviously realised that he was not going to be displaced at 12 any time soon. Cockers gave him game time but not at the expense of such an important player.
MICKW

Post by MICKW »

Could you please stop saying that Lancaster should be picking Allen, Kitchener, Benjamin etc. Let's try keeping them at the Tigers so that we can win more games.