Tuilagi Jnr

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Tuilagi Jnr

Post by physiodan »

So... Fred Tuilagi Jnr is playing hooker for the Tigers Academy. If he has the physique and speed of his Dad then this could be very good news if his throwing and hooking are in balance. Few years to go I am sure but I bet it wont be long before this name gets more and more mention. Anyone on here had any viewing on his potential?

A new dawn, a new Tuilagi! Nick Abendonen's favourite bedtime story!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Tuilagi Jnr

Post by RagingBull »

what about Brian Tuilagi how is he going?
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Dont forget Brian in the academy at the moment as well :smt023
Norfolk & Goode
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Norfolk & Goode »

physiodan wrote:A new dawn, a new Tuilagi! Nick Abendonen's favourite bedtime story!
... and Shane Horgan's! :smt018
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

I liked the referenced to Nick Abendanon - as I sat there watching the game last Saturday the conversation amongst our group centred at one stage on "I bet he's glad there's no Tuilagis playing today".
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

DickyP wrote:I liked the referenced to Nick Abendanon - as I sat there watching the game last Saturday the conversation amongst our group centred at one stage on "I bet he's glad there's no Tuilagis playing today".
To be fair the last game against Tigers at the Rec with Manu and Alex both rampaging he put up a good fight.

He got smashed, knocked back and battered all game but got up smiling every time and was getting stuck in again a few minutes later - he even chased Alex down and put in a great cover tackle to stop what looked like a breakaway try. I think there's even a video highlight reel on youtube.

On the front foot he even managed to skin/dance around them once or twice.

He gained a lot of respect that game
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

I saw young Freddy play twice last season for his local u16 side. On both occasions he was way off the pace and played no more than a half. When he joined the academy , it has to said somewhat surprisingly, of all the front rowers in the club only Mulipola was heavier than him. At this moment his presence in the Academy set up has far more to do with his surname than any prowess on the pitch
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Al strength to the Tuilagi breeding machine. I would be happy to field a team full of Tuilagis. Then you would know for certain that commitment was assured.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

I would be happy to field a team full of Tuilagis. Then you would know for certain that commitment was assured.
+1
The entry standard is extremely high for the academy, no doubt the next generation of Tuilagi's are providing an excellent foundation for the academy side and hopefully the 1st team in the future!
:smt037
Last edited by The Boy Dave on Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheery chappy
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

The Boy Dave wrote:
I would be happy to field a team full of Tuilagis. Then you would know for certain that commitment was assured.
+1
The entry standard is extremely high for the academy, no doubt the next generation of Tuilagi's are providing an excellent foundation for the academy side and hopefully the 1st team in the future!
Which is the point I was making he was nowhere near the entry standard last season and he won't have made the necessary steps in such a short period
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

The Boy Dave wrote:

Quote:

+1

Which is the point I was making he was nowhere near the entry standard last season and he won't have made the necessary steps in such a short period
According to form I have no reason to doubt that the next generation are just as good as before, they must be very talented to be in the academy!
:smt043
Last edited by The Boy Dave on Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheery chappy
snoopster

Post by snoopster »

MJ Chairman wrote:Which is the point I was making he was nowhere near the entry standard last season and he won't have made the necessary steps in such a short period
Perhaps the coaches have seen something you missed, as presumably they have spent more time with him before he joined the academy? I would hope the club doesn't just select players based on their physical ability but looks at their skills as well and try to judge where the youngsters will be in 10 years time after coaching.
He might need to get in better shape but it could be they saw enough talent from him to be convinced that he will be as good as his father and uncles.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote:
DickyP wrote:I like the referenced to Nick Abendanon - as I sat there watching the game last Saturday the conversation amongst our group centred at one stage on "I bet he's glad there's no Tuilagis playing today".
To be fair the last game against Tigers at the Rec with Manu and Alex both rampaging he put up a good fight.

He got smashed, knocked back and battered all game but got up smiling every time and was getting stuck in again a few minutes later - he even chased Alex down and put in a great cover tackle to stop what looked like a breakaway try. I think there's even a video highlight reel on youtube.

On the front foot he even managed to skin/dance around them once or twice.

He gained a lot of respect that game
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

snoopster wrote:
MJ Chairman wrote:Which is the point I was making he was nowhere near the entry standard last season and he won't have made the necessary steps in such a short period
Perhaps the coaches have seen something you missed, as presumably they have spent more time with him before he joined the academy? I would hope the club doesn't just select players based on their physical ability but looks at their skills as well and try to judge where the youngsters will be in 10 years time after coaching.
He might need to get in better shape but it could be they saw enough talent from him to be convinced that he will be as good as his father and uncles.
I can only comment on what I've seen and heard. To make it you need a good mixture of size skill and fitness he had one of these size and didn't use that well due to the absence of the other 2 As an example in a county final last year he was taken to the cleaners at scrummage time by a prop giving him at least 6 stone. IMHO if he had a different surname the academy wouldn't even look at him