Heineken Cup no nearer a resolution (2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

cidermark
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Heineken Cup no nearer a resolution (2)

Post by cidermark »

:smt038

+1
yellow_balaclava_hunter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by yellow_balaclava_hunter »

wardy wrote:I support the moderators in any decision they make. They do a difficult job, under difficult circumstances without recompense. The original thread was extremely boring and just going around in circles. As. Rizzo says read the rules of the forum and if you don't like them clear off somewhere else.

YBH and others - you ought to be ashamed of yourselves although I very much doubt you will. !!!! :smt018
It's the moderators who should be ashamed of themselves.
yellow_balaclava_hunter
Gold Member
Gold Member

kpb wrote:
yellow_balaclava_hunter wrote:I do not agree with the moderators locking the original thread, it was still on topic and relevant.

The moderators on here are worse than the current crop of referees.
And comments like these are relevant to the topic?! :smt017

You instantly dragged the thread off topic. YBH you know who to complain to if you are not happy with the Moderators on this forum so why not do it and stop making your continuous swipes,it is getting very boring :smt015 :smt015
The moderators need to resign but refuse. I shouldn't have to go to the club about their behaviour, it is for the moderators to act honourably.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Lapasset, Camou, Lux.....and we're complaiing about the Irish!
This perfect storm of big egos won't harm Top 14 or the AP but it will put another big nail in the coffin of Welsh rugby at this rate. Wales will end up with an international team either of centrally-contracted journeymen or second-tier players; the game in general will suffer no end.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

1. I am not ashamed of myself in any way and certainly not in how this message board is moderated.
2. We are not going to resign.
3. There is nothing wrong with my honour.

Please may we now drop this and return to discussion of the thread topic and nothing else.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
arickett

Post by arickett »

If the mods resigned this forum would most likely close. As so many other club forums have
yellow_balaclava_hunter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Rizzo wrote:1. I am not ashamed of myself in any way and certainly not in how this message board is moderated.

Please may we now drop this and return to discussion of the thread topic and nothing else.
Then you must allow open criticism of your actions.
Baggy Trousers

Post by Baggy Trousers »

Rizzo wrote:1. I am not ashamed of myself in any way and certainly not in how this message board is moderated.

Rizzo, Tigerbeat, though technically a member of the forum I consider myself simply a guest, I hope a welcome guest, though clearly my opinions differ substantially on the rugby issues in this thread from the majority view.

The reason I choose this forum to see "what the enemy are thinking" is that there is no doubt that Tigers are by a distance the most respected club in England by outsiders and better still, are a proper long established club based on rugby values & not some rich man's hobby.

I do read other threads from time to time though it is you guy's opinions on this matter that is my prime interest.

I look at a few forums fairly regularly and though I could happily shake one or two members in an effort to, if not move their opinions, but for them to consider something other than their own position, as I try to do. I see this forum as moderately moderated but without too much rancour or personal abuse.

I'd say the moderators have no reason to reproach themselves nor resign, congratulations on a pretty light moderating touch & a generally well behaved forum. :smt038
Baggy Trousers

Post by Baggy Trousers »

After careful reconsideration I have removed my original post here, for I have no knowledge of what may have passed between the moderators & the poster concerned.

Not really my place, though I repeat that in my experience the site is moderated with a light touch that allows reasonably strong debate.
Last edited by Baggy Trousers on Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baggy Trousers

Post by Baggy Trousers »

As for the IRB statement, no fireworks & I suppose any expectation of that was never likely to be fulfilled.

My reading of it is that it utterly derails the slightest prospect of an Anglo-Welsh League being approved. I have thought all along that PRL has been stringing the poor old Welsh along with the promise of "live horse & you'll get grass", come & play with us why don't you.

I very much doubt whether this has ever been a serious proposition from the PRL side & more than likely is a bargaining position from which they might have an alternative to caving in on the HC but not actually altering the PRL league as it stands.

Bring in the Welsh & the rest of English rugby would start to think, hey what is going on, why are the RFU watching this? The PRL aim I believe is to have a possible B& I League/Cup in some format to fill the HC gaps should the other 6 nations not have a "Road to Damascus" moment and see that PRL have been not only right, but mad keen to enrich the impoverished Celts through the munificence of that great rugby partner, BT Sport.

Gents, we have a long period of bluff & counter bluff still to come I fancy.
yellow_balaclava_hunter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Baggy Trousers wrote:YBH, you don't seem to understand what you signed up to on this forum, frankly it is not for you to moderate the moderators & most certainly not in a public manner, you have been given the way to seek change by the moderators. I don't know if this comment is acceptable on this forum but it can always be moderated - man dear, you are behaving like an :censored:.
I have sent you a PM which should explain a bit more about why I am complaining.
rumncoke

Post by rumncoke »

Every forum has a couple of bean breakers who push the boat out most here on are reasonable sensible the thing that gets the Irish goat is the myths and lies which get repeated and repeated

1 -- We rest players to do well in Heineken -- No we rest players because we have so few quality players of International class, Three Provinces in Ireland provide all the International players the pool of players is that shallow.

2 Ulster playing --games on a Friday night is cheating -- No Ulster started to play games on a Friday night and discovered the crowds were bigger on Friday night than Saturday afternoon . Saturday is a family shopping day because historically Rugby in Ulster is a Protestant sport and traditionally Sunday was socially dead . Sunday games cause great difficulty at one time the Ulster Branch of the IRFU prohibited Sunday games ( it may still do for Club matches ) and Ravenhill is beside Two churches.

3 Irish Provinces have an unfair advantage because they are Regional Teams --and not Clubs
false-- many in Ulster would consider we are at a disadvantage because any non Irish qualified Players must be approved by the IRFU and the Number of non Irish Qualified players in Leinster Munster and Ulster is strictly controlled .

It should be recognised that Ulster won the European Cup at a time when over half the Ulster team were amateurs the Ulster side only played about 5 games that season which were not European Cup and the 1999 final was the first to fill an International Stadium with a crowd of 50 000.

We in Ireland consider we have made the Heineken Cup the competition it is and I personally consider at this time it does require re-adjustment financial and in format . I also consider the PRL tried to pre-empt that change from a Cup competition, to a League competition and signed a Contract with a TV company without any authority to do so over selling the rights to AP and the rights to a NoN Existent Cup Competition in an attempt to hijack control of Rugby Union for their own benefit and to undermine the authority of the Unions.
( I say over selling because given the current situation I doubt if any TV company will ever enter a contract with the PRL again or offer the same money for the television rights of the AP }
The PRL can not sue the RFU for "restrain of trade " because the PRL does not trade as such it is a representative body and holding company the only "trading companies ? " whose trade ? actually playing the game would be restrained are the Clubs

Which Club has sufficient money to Sue the RFU ? Which chairman is willing to have his Club suspended for maybe 2 or 3 years until his case is thrown out of the European Court .
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

rumncoke wrote:2 Ulster playing --games on a Friday night is cheating -- No Ulster started to play games on a Friday night and discovered the crowds were bigger on Friday night than Saturday afternoon . Saturday is a family shopping day because historically Rugby in Ulster is a Protestant sport and traditionally Sunday was socially dead . Sunday games cause great difficulty at one time the Ulster Branch of the IRFU prohibited Sunday games ( it may still do for Club matches ) and Ravenhill is beside Two churches.
Fair play rumncoke some interesting points but I would like to comment on this one if I may. I don't consider playing on a Friday cheating at all and I accept the view that it maximises Ulster's crowd potential - whilst possibly minimising the opportunity for away club supporters to get across in numbers and therefore increasing an Ulster advantage :smt002 - which all fine and dandy as that means in a way it increases the profile of rugby in general, but, if the HEC is played across weekends then all clubs should be liable to be playing across all of the slots with no outside factors kicking in - I know Ulster do not just play on Fridays - I'm sure I saw them on a Saturday once :smt002 .

If, for example, it was more beneficial for Tigers to kick off at, say for the sake of argument, 3pm on a Saturday - because more people could make it and we'd have more chance of games selling out, plus we are able to shop and do other things on a Sunday and many of our fans travel distances to WR that often preclude them getting to WR - or away grounds on a Friday night - or back from an away game late on a Sunday - should we be allowed to have more 3pm Saturday kickoffs?

I don't think Ulster get preferential treatment but I can see how some think they do.

Don't know if that makes sense the way I've written it.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

WhitecapTiger wrote:Fair play rumncoke some interesting points but I would like to comment on this one if I may. I don't consider playing on a Friday cheating at all and I accept the view that it maximises Ulster's crowd potential ...
I believe there is only one member of this forum who considers playing on a Friday evening to be cheating and it isn't Rumncoke.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

BJ, you took the words out of my mouth. Edinburgh and Glasgow also play as many games as possible on a Friday night; the original reason for this was so that their games didn't clash with club matches on the Saturday.