Toby Flood v Bath

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Toby Flood v Bath

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

I thought Toby showed passion and commitment against Bath. Despite appearing to be not 100% fully fit he layed his body on the line and dragged the team to a draw. He showed the spirit of what is expected from a Tigers player and Captain. He will be sorely missed when he does go at the end of the season. Let's hope he gets to lift at least one trophy this season.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
jamiewilkinson

Re: Toby Flood v Bath

Post by jamiewilkinson »

After the second try he rallied the troops together for a team talk.
I think he also got everyone together when Slater was being treated.
IMO he is the best choice for captain this season in replace of Murphy. The vice captains could learn alot from him.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Given that he was obviously hurting when he kicked I thought he had an excellent game. He clearly took the first quarter of the game to fully adjust to playing back in the centre again by was certainly by some stretch the best 12 we seen in AA's absence.

He also seemed to be a good foil for Williams at 10 who relaxed a bit with a good safety valve available.

In fact my only complaint about the play makers on both sides was why didn't Ford kick for goal as badly yesterday as he did all last season?
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Because Ford is only 20 and will continue to develop as he matures. Next season he'll be even better again.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

DickyP wrote:Given that he was obviously hurting when he kicked I thought he had an excellent game. He clearly took the first quarter of the game to fully adjust to playing back in the centre again by was certainly by some stretch the best 12 we seen in AA's absence.

He also seemed to be a good foil for Williams at 10 who relaxed a bit with a good safety valve available.

In fact my only complaint about the play makers on both sides was why didn't Ford kick for goal as badly yesterday as he did all last season?
Very unfair on Bowden there who has been excellent this season.

That being said Flood's leadership was absolutely exceptional this weekend especially in the last 30 minutes where we took the game by the scruff of the neck to get back in it by coming in to first receiver more, taking control of the midfield and running bath side to side - not to mention utilising a forward pack who were clearly hungry for it.

Really, Really impressed with his display, hunger and leadership.

Should also note this doesn't detract from Owen Williams who I think also had a good game - but experience told.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

DickyP wrote: In fact my only complaint about the play makers on both sides was why didn't Ford kick for goal as badly yesterday as he did all last season?
Believe it was bath's captain Hoopers call, and he show lack of maturity to back ford, and instead wanted the TBP.

Be interesting to see who is captain next season.

agree re Bowden has been very good both in attack and defensive just needed someone to carry straight remember Goneva was out for a lot of Bowden's games.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

kornboy130 wrote:
DickyP wrote:Given that he was obviously hurting when he kicked I thought he had an excellent game. He clearly took the first quarter of the game to fully adjust to playing back in the centre again by was certainly by some stretch the best 12 we seen in AA's absence.

Very unfair on Bowden there who has been excellent this season.

That being said Flood's leadership was absolutely exceptional this weekend especially in the last 30 minutes where we took the game by the scruff of the neck to get back in it by coming in to first receiver more, taking control of the midfield and running bath side to side - not to mention utilising a forward pack who were clearly hungry for it.

Really, Really impressed with his display, hunger and leadership.

Should also note this doesn't detract from Owen Williams who I think also had a good game - but experience told.
I don't think I was being the slightest bit unfair to Bowden: to say someone is good is not to decry others. Bowden's tackling has improved out of all recognition this season compared with last season, and he has played well as an individual: however, he is a flair player who responds to those about him and is no organizer and has little defensive 'nous'. He's lovely to watch but is no presence, whereas AA, when available, and Toby Flood on Saturday are the glue in defence and oil in attack we've sorely missed for a lot of this season.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."