Tigers use of the bench

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers use of the bench

Post by 4071 »

Substitutions might not always be a good thing per se, but the failure to utilise the 23-man matchday squad is quite marked.

This season, these are the numbers of substitutions made per team (all matches)

Saracens - 138
Bath - 130
Northampton - 129
Exeter - 128
Sale - 123
Gloucester - 122
Wasps - 121
Lon Irish - 119
Newcastle - 117
Harlequins - 115
Leicester - 88

Every other club is in the same sort of range, averaging 6.4 to 7.7 substitutions per match, geneally utilising most of their bench. Leicester are way out on their own, averaging just 4.9 substitutions per game.

Substitutions aren't always necessary and can cause disruptions. But they can also change the course of a game for the better. Smart use of the bench is always better than indiscriminate use of the bench. But aside from their impact on the course of a single game, substitutions allow for squad and player development. Saracens operate a policy of regular rotation and maintain a large squad of players who all regularly feature in matches. This has allowed them to bring through a large number of younger players, giving them increasing match time off the bench and then increasingly regular starts. In the last couple of seasons the likes of Jamie George, Mako Vunipola, George Kruis, Jackson Wray, Owen Farrell and Ben Ransom (all in the 21-23 age range) have got the game time they need to develop as players, which means that they be trusted to start big games and can be fairly content with their development at the club.

If young players spend their whole time parked on the bench and never get games, then they will tend to wonder whether they would be better off somewhere else.

And it's not just young players, of course. All players want to feel involved, and if they don't get the games then they get discontented.

And yes, I know, I've heard the same line repeated every single time. 'If they are good enough then they will get picked'. But the point is that at every other club in the Premiership players get more opportunities to show that they are good enough to get picked by actually being given game time. How can players prove themselves if they are not given games to do just that? All they can do is sit and wait until their teammates get injured.
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

Made me laugh...sat in H&B yesterday and three different people said 'just how many subs have bath got?'

Such a rarity to see such volume of change at WR
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

4071 wrote:Substitutions might not always be a good thing per se, but the failure to utilise the 23-man matchday squad is quite marked.

This season, these are the numbers of substitutions made per team (all matches)

Saracens - 138
Bath - 130
Northampton - 129
Exeter - 128
Sale - 123
Gloucester - 122
Wasps - 121
Lon Irish - 119
Newcastle - 117
Harlequins - 115
Leicester - 88

Every other club is in the same sort of range, averaging 6.4 to 7.7 substitutions per match, geneally utilising most of their bench. Leicester are way out on their own, averaging just 4.9 substitutions per game.

Substitutions aren't always necessary and can cause disruptions. But they can also change the course of a game for the better. Smart use of the bench is always better than indiscriminate use of the bench. But aside from their impact on the course of a single game, substitutions allow for squad and player development. Saracens operate a policy of regular rotation and maintain a large squad of players who all regularly feature in matches. This has allowed them to bring through a large number of younger players, giving them increasing match time off the bench and then increasingly regular starts. In the last couple of seasons the likes of Jamie George, Mako Vunipola, George Kruis, Jackson Wray, Owen Farrell and Ben Ransom (all in the 21-23 age range) have got the game time they need to develop as players, which means that they be trusted to start big games and can be fairly content with their development at the club.

If young players spend their whole time parked on the bench and never get games, then they will tend to wonder whether they would be better off somewhere else.

And it's not just young players, of course. All players want to feel involved, and if they don't get the games then they get discontented.

And yes, I know, I've heard the same line repeated every single time. 'If they are good enough then they will get picked'. But the point is that at every other club in the Premiership players get more opportunities to show that they are good enough to get picked by actually being given game time. How can players prove themselves if they are not given games to do just that? All they can do is sit and wait until their teammates get injured.
Out of interest is it possible to see how many substitutions were made in the last 5 or 10 minutes or so of the games without having to trawl through all the reports? Could be interesting to see if that has any effect on the numbers, including Tigers, as those are the substitutions I consider as being a bit pointless when a player is on the field for less than 10 mins.
beech

Post by beech »

Agree completely. It is no surprise that Thomas wants to move on and if Mele does not get more game time I can see him going too
tf22
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

We retain Crane and lose TTTE. That somes up the random nature of how Tigers manage some players :smt009
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

I have said before that the "wise use of substitutes can win matches with their fresh legs " Bath made use of 8 Subs 2x60 , 2x68 , 70, 71,
73 & 76 minutes - Source D Telegraph.
Quote " Sale needed to make changes as they were the side chasing the game " Well yesterday it was Tigers chasing the game and no subs for tired legs just yet another 80 minute snatch !!
I thank 4071 for his wealth of facts and kornboy & MM who all agree with the influx of Mele allowing Owen to stand back ,Oh what a difference Thomas the Tank made - he does not give penalties away.
Sorry that Slater went off as De Chav for Deacon would have been better.
But when is Ben Youngs going to be rested and Mele start ????
Tom gave his all but Hawkins would have freshened the front row at 70.
Just wish Boris could have come on. Please use the Subs wisely otherwise yes - no game time is time to walk!!!
I believe Owen and Toby played very well and Toby was mentoring Owen and that is a true Captains role - Well done both.
Ashley Rowden was a better Referee too. Bless!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

beech wrote:Agree completely. It is no surprise that Thomas wants to move on and if Mele does not get more game time I can see him going too
Rumours are Mele is going to sign an 1 year extension on top of his original 2 year deal.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

wormus wrote:I have said before that the "wise use of substitutes can win matches with their fresh legs " Bath made use of 8 Subs 2x60 , 2x68 , 70, 71,
Quote " Sale needed to make changes as they were the side chasing the game " Well yesterday it was Tigers chasing the game and no subs for tired legs just yet another 80 minute snatch !!
So despite Bath with they newly fresh legs they still couldn't hold on to the win?

And Mele has started 5 games in 13 appearances not that bad for his first season.

I agree re Forwards subs and suspect it will change when Logo comes back and Hawkins getting to 100%.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

RagingBull wrote:
wormus wrote:I have said before that the "wise use of substitutes can win matches with their fresh legs " Bath made use of 8 Subs 2x60 , 2x68 , 70, 71,
So despite Bath with they newly fresh legs they still couldn't hold on to the win?

And Mele has started 5 games in 13 appearances not that bad for his first season.

I agree re Forwards subs and suspect it will change when Logo comes back and Hawkins getting to 100%.
How satisfying it was to see "wise substitutions & fresh legs " on the field to ensure a good TBP win with Mele excellent, AA, Hawkins, Mafi etc all involved.
At least most on the forum agree with "wise Subs "
Well done Now bring on Ulster !!