Cliff Shephard RIP

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

paula123

Cliff Shephard RIP

Post by paula123 »

Sadly passed away.My thoughts go out to Cliff Shephards family.

Rest in Peace.
Castro's no.1 fan!!!
Tigerbeat

Re: Cliff Shephard

Post by Tigerbeat »

It was a pleasure knowing Cliff and talking Tigers with him. You will be sadly missed. My thoughts are with your family at this difficult time.

RIP

http://secondsleft.co.uk/image.php?eid= ... A1ZTY2NGQw

Cliff was born in Wigston and educated at Wigston HS.He played as a wing in the Leicester Schools' team and in a final England School's trial.He captained the Leicestershire Alliance Colts and represented the county and RAF.
His Tigers debut was in 1955 against Coventry, and he went on to play for the Tigers First XV 140 times, scoring 36 tries.Cliff became the LFC first team secretary in 1996 after looking after the Extras in the same capacity for a few years.Before his retirement, Cliff was a sales representative with Bass Breweries.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Tigerbeat

Re: Cliff Shephard

Post by Tigerbeat »

A quote from one of George Chuters articles - Inside Line, issue 4

The match ended up in a convincing win for the Tigers, with five tried scored. However, the day also signalled the end of an era. Cliff Shephard played his first game for the club in 1755. Sorry, that was a typo. I meant 1955. As a dashing Brylcreemed winger, he played over 100 games for the Tigers and scored a lot more tries than Austin Healey. After retiring from rugby, he worked for Bass Brewery. How they made a profit I do not know. Anyway, he returned to the Tigers as kit manager. His relaxed attitude to work and his considerate treatment of the young members of the squad led to him becoming a firm favourite among the players. His kit shed was always a smooth-running peaceful haven. Cliff could always be relied upon to spell names right on the back of shirts, get you the right-sized shorts and cough constantly for two hours before kick-off. He was also first to the bar and you could hear his rallying cry of “Vino with Sheppo” from three or four miles away on a clear night, usually followed by a coughing fit and an apology for forgetting his wallet. If you are here and are able to read this, Cliff, I hope you are enjoying your fifth retirement. I have one word for you. Buffalo.
After the Dragons game, the squad took the opportunity to combine a send-off for Cliff with a spot of team-building. The plan was a three-legged race around all the bars at the ground, having a drink in each. Being consummate professionals, orange squash was to be the designated drink. However, tragedy was to strike. It transpired that the entire supply of Robinsons Orange Barley had been spiked with an unknown alcoholic beverage. The result was most of the players complaining of nausea, double-vision, muddled thought and delusions of singing ability. Fortunately, they were in the Tiger Bar and therefore in good company. No harm was done and some people actually enjoyed themselves.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Cliff Shephard RIP

Post by Smudge »

I was very sorry to learn of Cliff's passing.
A real old Tiger who played the game as it should be played.
RIP old friend.
A life long Tiger
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: Cliff Shephard RIP

Post by tigerburnie »

RIP and condolences to his family.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.