Leicester v Bath

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester v Bath

Post by Big Dai »

Poor defence for ten minutes cost us the game.......that and yet another dopey ref that can't spot a forward pass. Actually I was more disappointed with the missed accidental offside at the preceding line out. The pass happens in the twinkling of an eye and will always suffer from camera angle interpretation. That offside decision was just basic stuff!

Liked Williams and Flood, Tom Youngs nice and abrasive, Gibbo just keeps getting better.

Bath showed what you can do with pace and a step to beat a man. Leicester showed that if you have power you've always got something to fall back on. Rapier versus war hammer ends in a score draw.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Could have won. Great spirit shown by the team again to come back from a difficult situation. You do look back at those wide kicks Owen missed, and that ridiculously obvious forward pass, and it could have been a great win.

Plenty of positives though. Feeling pretty good with players coming back into the side.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Well on joint points with Quins now.

With Allen to comeback next week.

add Croft, Mafi and Manu to the mix I am hopeful.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Big Dai wrote:Poor defence for ten minutes cost us the game.......that and yet another dopey ref that can't spot a forward pass. Actually I was more disappointed with the missed accidental offside at the preceding line out. The pass happens in the twinkling of an eye and will always suffer from camera angle interpretation. That offside decision was just basic stuff!

Liked Williams and Flood, Tom Youngs nice and abrasive, Gibbo just keeps getting better.

Bath showed what you can do with pace and a step to beat a man. Leicester showed that if you have power you've always got something to fall back on. Rapier versus war hammer ends in a score draw.
Didn't get to see the game (tomorrow on Prem rugby). BD, you liked the combo of TF and OW. What was it you liked?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

We were poor, lacked real direction and the depth of our backs play wasn't good enough. I do like Mele. He plays right on the edge, when we were a few metres away he was tackled and shuffled forward an extra 2 feet on the floor. Very clever from Mele. Williams was unlucky with the kick at the end, initially the kick looked good but it caught the wind and drifted wide. The ref was poor in my opinion. I still can't understand how the ref can pick and choose, the blocking penalty was ridiculous as I'm yet to see a team receive a kick with a chase without blocking.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Personally, I thought the combo worked well. They were clearly sharing responsibility, which helped Owen. Two playmakers allowed them both to contribute in situations they might have neglected if they were needed to organise the next phase. Owen's passing was sharp, Flood carried the ball surprisingly well and 2 kicking options. Definitely an option for the rest of the season, but defence needs a little more work.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

don't think it work that well as a combo imo esp in defence but that wasn't due to physical it was more positional play. But there is potential.

But Williams looks really promising a very physical 10, needs some time.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

TigerLad wrote:We were poor, lacked real direction and the depth of our backs play wasn't good enough.
We pretty much made as many metres of Bath, which was pretty good going considering most of theirs came from the clean breaks in the first half. If we had held a couple of those sloppy defensive sets, we should have won fairly comfortably.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

TigerCam wrote:
Big Dai wrote:Poor defence for ten minutes cost us the game.......that and yet another dopey ref that can't spot a forward pass. Actually I was more disappointed with the missed accidental offside at the preceding line out. The pass happens in the twinkling of an eye and will always suffer from camera angle interpretation. That offside decision was just basic stuff!

Didn't get to see the game (tomorrow on Prem rugby). BD, you liked the combo of TF and OW. What was it you liked?
Owen needs to grow into the side, Floody helped him. There was interchange and this gave us better options from 1st receiver. I understand Bowden and OW worked well against Sale. I'm possibly biased here but here but I like a 10 + 10 combo at out half and inside centre. All this is IMHO stuff......I guess someone will disagree.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

Superb spirit and determination shown by the whole side, a couple of poor defensive lapses cost us. Thought Williams and Flood worked as well as could be expected, still hope Allen is fit to play the 80 minutes vs. Ulster though. Glimpses of brilliance from Tait, Benjamin and Morris looked good in patches. The pack were excellent again, Gibson was superb and rightly MOTM. Mele was very impressive in his cameo role, it would be interesting to see him start next week! Unlucky for Owen to miss the late conversion, and his other kicks, but I don't think Floody was 100% fit, based on his reactions to kicking for touch.

Hopefully Ed is ok, but in the context of the season I think that result is ok- win all 4 games over the 6 nations, which is definitely achievable, especially now Floody looks set to be available, and I think we will be in third place ready to launch a late charge after Saints.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

RagingBull wrote:don't think it work that well as a combo imo esp in defence but that wasn't due to physical it was more positional play. But there is potential.

But Williams looks really promising a very physical 10, needs some time.
Easy to be caught out of position when a delayed scoring pass is blatantly forward! Wouldn't say JP Doyle was blind but when you can't pick Morris From Benjamin we're in a real muddle! :smt005 :smt005
chinnjamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chinnjamie »

Youngs.B and Goneva were really poor today. Mele improved us massively when he came on and Goneva should of been taken off after about 60 too, especially when you've got an adequate replacement on the bench.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Two poor defensive lapses, some poor ref decisions, was a clear forward pass for the try and bath obstructions in defence were unbelievable. Tigers butchered to many chances and for me mele has to start next week, 2 points is better then nothing, we need Allen back marshaling the midfield, flood clearly has a dodgy hamstring, Gibson was outstanding and deserved his mom, tigers looking at 3rd or 4th place, a heartened performance but the LV and Heineken cup may take presedent this season!!
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Can't agree on B.Youngs. I think people are really getting on his back this season (sometimes rightly), but today I though his service was good, tested the defence and kicking pretty well. Mele did impress though. His style was just what we needed when we upped the pressure. Bringing the runners on.

Looked like just a blow to the head for Ed. Maybe a week off, but walked off. More worried about Kitch pulling out.
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

Thought the back 3 especially Tait were very good today. Benjamin needs to hold his depth more. Goneva was poor today imho. Pack were good but problems persist at 8. The ideal player would be a mix of crane and Waldron