Williams a better bet than Burns

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Williams a better bet than Burns

Post by Ian Cant »

Against Sale I thought that once again Owen Williams showed what a talent he is. He mixed his game very well despite poor service from Youngs and a lack of experienced centres to help him. His attitude is just what Tigers expect and his kicking far more reliable than the stuttering Burns. With a run of games with Allen and Manu he will only improve so we surely should be looking to keep Williams and get some other, less costly back up!!
Whatever happens, well done to Williams so far this season.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Williams a better bet than Burns

Post by fentiger »

Ian Cant wrote:Against Sale I thought that once again Owen Williams showed what a talent he is. He mixed his game very well despite poor service from Youngs and a lack of experienced centres to help him. His attitude is just what Tigers expect and his kicking far more reliable than the stuttering Burns. With a run of games with Allen and Manu he will only improve so we surely should be looking to keep Williams and get some other, less costly back up!!
100% agree! There are other areas of the squad where money could be spent, this lad has it all in the bank :smt023
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Looks like we will be able to compare them behind the same pack next season as The Rugby Paper is saying that we have "signed" Burns on a 3 year contract, to be announced in the new year.
smalldell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smalldell »

I think the potential signing of Burns is more an indication of the lack of faith in Lamb!

If you make Williams your number 1 with competition from Lamb you need another 10...who is going to come on the basis of competing against Williams for top spot. The only willing candidates are those who are top class players..hence Burns. In other words Lamb is not seen as even a semi-safe pair of hands at present..It's a shame because strong comp between Williams and Lamb would have saved a lot of money to spend on a top 7 for example.

Still if Burns has signed, even though we cannot talk to him until 1st jan..then I think it will work well for us...BUT he needs to not only take leaf out of Anthony Allens book but a whole tree if he is to be successful...
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

If true, I'm happy with us having both Burns and Williams in our squad… let them fight it out for the shirt. Both young talented players who will get better IMHO.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

The apparent reason for huge improvement in Williams's performance yesterday compared with previous games was that he stood much flatter in attack and was thus able to release the players outside him.

Lamb, of course, showed once again that he has huge talent but no sense. Comes on - first touch runs himself into trouble in own 22 and hurts himself into the bargain when all he needed to do was kick the ball to touch.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

If was no doubt easier for Williams to stand flat yesterday with our first team pack doing the business, Benny bossing it at 9 (albeit with a couple of dodgey passes) and the experienced Bowden/Goneva combo outside him. Lamb just looks too indecisive and a liability. Williams gave the first indication he could replace Floody next season. Same again next week please Owen.
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

How can we have already signed Burns? I thought we where not allowed to approach until the new year?
snoopster

Post by snoopster »

kingol22 wrote:How can we have already signed Burns? I thought we where not allowed to approach until the new year?
I don't think we have - "signed" in this case is lazy journalist shorthand for "agreed to sign when allowed to".
So if Burns is offered a better deal somewhere else he could take it.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Ian Cant wrote:Against Sale I thought that once again Owen Williams showed what a talent he is. He mixed his game very well despite poor service from Youngs and a lack of experienced centres to help him. His attitude is just what Tigers expect and his kicking far more reliable than the stuttering Burns. With a run of games with Allen and Manu he will only improve so we surely should be looking to keep Williams and get some other, less costly back up!!
Lets hope OW continues to get the game time, unlike that other talent the Tigers once had that now plays at Bath? If Burns or whoever gets precedence, OW will never get the chance develop and being young with ambition he too will pack his bags. Just because players come to a club with a certain 'international pedigree' does not in IMO make them a direct 'shoe-in' for a shirt. They should be made to earn it, week in week out.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

The ex-Tiger 10 playing for Bath had a total mare yesterday, being shown up for the one dimensional player he is. I was unconvinced by Ford at Tigers, even less convinced now - if he is England's future we are even more stuffed than with Fazlet alone.
BTW there is no doubt in my mind now either that Flood is one of the top 3 10s playing in the British Isles (Sexton and Evans being the others).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

Have to agree with the criticism of Lamb, he came on and showed exactly what us wrong with his game. He messed about with clearing the ball and injured himself in the process. Then he tried a risky pass which came off and gained 10 yards, but then he tried the exact same pass again and the ball was lost.It just seems to symbolise Lamb to me, he can look brilliant and flashy but in the next sequence he looks awful. Hopefully he can improve on this as if he doesn't I can't see him staying here for too long. Williams was great today but having him fight it out with Burns is the best option, I can't see Cockers picking Burns because of his reputation so having them compete and thus improve can only be a good thing.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Griffin whilst I agree that young Ford needs to develop several areas of his play, that tends to be true for every 20 year old flyhalf. To describe him as one dimensional is extremely odd. He's shown repeatedly that he has a nice range of passing skills at the gainline, can kick tactically well and is more than capable of stepping and going on his own. Anyone who had seen Bath this season knew they'd struggle, they have no game plan if their pack can't outmuscle the opposition.
Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Richard »

jgriffin wrote:The ex-Tiger 10 playing for Bath had a total mare yesterday, being shown up for the one dimensional player he is. I was unconvinced by Ford at Tigers, even less convinced now - if he is England's future we are even more stuffed than with Fazlet alone.
BTW there is no doubt in my mind now either that Flood is one of the top 3 10s playing in the British Isles (Sexton and Evans being the others).
Sexton does not play in the British Isles
the future is bright
the future is
Scarlet Green and White
Downbathway
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Downbathway »

Is this the same George Ford who is currently the top points scorer in the Premiership, and was recently accounced as "Player of the Month" by the organisers of the same competition?.

He really must be having a real shocker this season. :smt042