Can we reach the play offs?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Can we reach the play offs?

Post by PM76 »

I remain convinced that this side will be in the play-offs at the end of season. For various reasons:

-We are currently 2 points off fourth place!!!!

-It is easy to overreact after a shocking defeat but in the wider scheme of things the side was missing its 3 most important players, with Cole, Salvi and Flood not involved (and that is in the context of Montpellier games, rather than the wider squad with Manu, AA, Parling, Croft, Mafi etc. missing!) and OTY and Ayerza only on the bench.

-The next two rounds of fixtures should see some of our rivals take points off each other and if Tigers perform well then I wouldn’t be surprised to see the side in third (or joint third) place come the HC. Hopefully the Tigers will take 5 points from the encounter with Sale, while Bath travel to Saints and Exeter go to stoop- I’d suggest that both the home sides will win “4-0”, and if Tigers can beat Bath 4-0 or 4-1 with Quins probably losing 4-1 at Saints then the table will be as follows:

Saints 46
Tigers 35
Bath 34/5
Quins 33
Exeter 31

And while catching Sarries maybe too much to ask I think the Saints can certainly be chased down before the end of the season!

-Tigers also have one of the most “accessible” 6ns fixtures list in recent years. We play Worcester, Irish and Newcastle away and welcome Glaws to WR. I think that 4 wins is definitely achievable especially if Cockers can name this side

Ayerza, Hawkins/ Briggs, Logo
Slater, Kitchener/ Deacon
Mafi, Waldrom, Salvi
Mele, Flood/ Williams
Bowden, Goneva
Benjamin, Tait, Morris

And that’s before the likes of Allen, Manu and Parling start to return! There will undoubtedly be more injuries but I still think that as players start to return to fitness- the depth of squad will come to the fore over the 6ns.
Then it comes to down getting into form after the 6ns and in recent years there has been no better side than Tigers at doing that! First place may be too much to ask- I can’t see Sarries slipping up enough to let us hunt them down, but, all said and done, first is little better than second in the current climate and I would back Tigers against any club side in the world in a must win match at Welford Road!

Tigers will be in the play-offs, it is just a case of second or third IMO.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Also depending on England view, Flood may be with us in the 6N.

Might feel to bring Ford, Cips or burns though if Flood going to france.

that 6n line up should be targeting TBP wins imo

add Matera in aswell.
JerryGas

Post by JerryGas »

Just write off yesterday - next six games are pivotal - by the first of Feb we could well find ourselves 4th in Prem, a home semi in the LV and a home qtr in the H/Cup.
Considering the injuries that would set us up as AA and Manu return.

I am a cup half full person and there is a long long way to go.
Jerry, Crumbie terrace season ticket holder from South Glos.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Presumably Toby can say he is no longer available for England? I wouldn't blame him after the way slancaster has mistreated him, although I would not deny him another cap if he wants one. his presence would certainly help us through the 6N period.
Valhalla I am coming!
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

WiggoTiger wrote:Are we realistically good enough to mix it with the BIG BOYS if we reach the play offs? Going on the performances I have watched both home and away I am (yet again) a worried fan. Maybe MoC had a bigger influence on the team and plans than we thought, Burke seems out of his depth.
Why do we also persevere with the long kick off?? GRRRR :smt013
We ARE the big boys.

We'll make the playoffs and win away to get to twickenham.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

fleabane wrote:Presumably Toby can say he is no longer available for England? I wouldn't blame him after the way slancaster has mistreated him, although I would not deny him another cap if he wants one. his presence would certainly help us through the 6N period.
Toby's presence throughout the six nations would help us no end. Question is will his decision be influenced by Slancaster's six nations squad announcement or will he make his own call on his England career and vote with his feet ?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I wish I had PM76's optimism. I fear the best we can hope for is a 3rd or 4th place with an away semi final and hope we perform well on the day.
Nailsworthstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nailsworthstiger »

OK, we're in 6th place at the moment but this is by no means a disaster. From memory, you finish in the top 4 and your in the play off's. Where are Quins? 4th and how many points ahead are they? Answer is 2.

So far 10 games have been played which means there are 12 to go. All the teams above us have all got to play each other again and points will be lost. Safa's, Stains, Bath and Quins are all going to loose points before the play off's are determined and we are going to pick up points when others drop theirs. What doesn't happen is teams at the top win all their games and unexpected results happen. Remember Safa's Vs Stains at Alianz Park in the Play off's last season?

Usual stories, the doom mongers must have very sore knees with the amount of jerking they encounter.

At the end of the season I am confident that all us Tigers will be making our usual trip to HQ.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

They better had make the playoffs, got a bet on with a former pro player who reckons Saffas, Quins, Stains and Barf.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

That we can reach the play offs is certain.

Question is will we?

:smt002
Still keeping the faith!
Baggy Trousers

Post by Baggy Trousers »

Some result yesterday guys, you see that's what happens when you rest players. :smt002 I assume there will be no more guff about Irish teams resting players?

Now I want to assure you that you need not worry about relegation, you are far too good for that to happen.

Oh the pressure of the PRL world. :smt011

Now doubtless you are thinking, cheeky b....... coming on here taking the michael. Thing is guys I'm not, I have a serious point. Your club IS too good to be relegated, it is not the big worry for Tigers, just as it wouldn't be in the Rabo for Ulster, Munster or Leinster. You DO rest players, just as every rugby team rest players.

Our similarities are more marked than our differences, now with that of my chest I hope we are playing in the same competitions next year.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Baggy Trousers wrote: I hope we are playing in the same competitions next year.
Regretably due to the stupidity of our Unions this is unlikely
Still keeping the faith!
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

I've been accused of being a doom-monger in the past, but I find this post all rather predictable in light of the loss at the weekend. OK it was an awful performance, but we were always likely to lose on Saturday and the injuries have been a problem all season.

6 wins before that including home/away to Montpellier exceeded my expectations. Agree with others on here that next 3 weeks are pivotal and 3 wins would make it look very much better, although we don't want to lose to Bath at the start of January as that would spell trouble.

Personally, I think we will finish 3rd or 4th in the table behind Saracens and Saints. If we have to travel to Saracens the good news is they will definitely move it to a bigger stadium. We have just got to hope Santa brings us some fit players in the New Year and we have got to keep some key players healthy: Tom Youngs, Kitch, AA (return apparently imminent), Goneva, Tait, Salvi.

I'm also quite pleased Toby's situation is now out in the open - unwanted sideshow IMHO that doesn't help anyone at the club.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Bill W (2) wrote:That we can reach the play offs is certain.

Question is will we?

:smt002
Answer: Yes
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Getting a real sense of deja vue, we have been in this position before, worse in fact. Come the end of the season we will be top 4, no problem