Tigers Vs. Sarries

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tigers Vs. Sarries

Post by PM76 »

A big game this weekend as Tigers to return to Premiership action, the side currently sit 5th but with Quins playing away at the Rec a win for Tigers would almost certainly propel them into the top 4. 3 wins over this Christmas period would cement the side in the top 4 and, hopefully, close the gap on Saints and Sarries. In terms of selection Cockers will surely look to “rotate” key players, especially Ayerza, T.Youngs, Cole and Salvi, over the next 3 weeks before the HC, however I would surprised if those changes are made this week, with the home game vs. Sale surely the best chance to make a few changes. Hopefully Floody will be fit, but if not then this is the side I’d like to see:

Ayerza, T.Youngs, Cole
Deacon (C), Kitchener,
Gibson, Waldrom, Salvi
B.Youngs, Williams
Bowden, Goneva
Benjamin, Hamilton, Morris

Briggs, Stankovich, Balmain, Slater, Matera, Mele, Lamb, Smith

I think this match is probably one week too early for Tait- it will be interesting to see if he plays for Nottingham again. Hopefully Matera will be involved, at least from the bench, as he adds more impact from the bench than Crane, although I think the form of Gibson means that Matera will not make the squad for another week given the Crane/ Waldrom rotation. If Flood is out then I think Williams should start, I feel more confident with him at 10, than Lamb, and it’s also an opportunity for him to play behind a relatively full strength pack with Ben Youngs at 9 and the likes of Goneva and Benjamin outside him.

Hopefully Tigers will sneak a win, I can't see it being won by more than 4-6 points either way. Another example of heart saying Tigers but head saying Sarries, well the heart triumphed last weekend so hopefully it will again this week. :smt027 :smt027
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers Vs. Sarries

Post by TigerLad »

I can't see Cockers resting players this week either. If possible I would like to see the same side that played against Montpellier selected again, promises to be a cracking game. We have had some very tough games recently, Glaws away and Montpellier home and away were all very challenging. Hopefully we can keep up the level of performance we have had since Glaws for one more weekend catch Sarries undercooked after two incredibly simple games against Zebre. After this game we have a spell of home games against some easier opponents which we can hopefully take advantage of but we could do with a win and closing the gap. Come on Tigers :smt027
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Yes We desperately need a result this weekend, a losing bonus point is a must, a draw would be better and a win the icing on the cake, if we get a bonus point win I'm going to have to pinch myself to check on my wellbeing.

Come on lads we really need you at your very very best this weekend as Saracens without doubt are the form team at the moment.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I'd be amazed (but delighted) if Flood is fit. If not I would play Lamb.

Stick with TTTE, agree Matera on the bench not Crane.

I would also play a back 3 of Morris, Benjamin and Thompstone and replace Deacon with Slater - otherwise as you were.

We will have to be at our best but momentum is building...!!
Soggypitch
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

It is nice to have a selection dilema in a few places, with more players becoming fit. I'd expect pretty much the same squad as last week, with doubts over Flood, I too would like to see Williams get a start, but I doubt it.

COME ON YOU TIGERRRRrrrrssssss

:smt027 :smt027 :smt027
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

it was a brutal fortnight of forward clashes, so a lot will obviously depend on bumps and bangs in the front 8 as anything else - if all fit however, I do not expect much rotation from Cockers... rightly so IMHO
Less is more....
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

I would personally send down a team full of changes. Dan Cole, Julian Salvi, Ben and Tom Toungs, Toby Flood, Nic Veronici are all vital for our last two group games in Europe. A full first choice Tigers team would struggle after our bruising game on Sunday and would get beaten in my mind against a very good Sarries team. I would rest the lot and use our squad to the full. We can take a loss.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

With Fraser and Burger both out injured their back row is weakened, should help our cause.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

[quote="Tomvarndell" We can take a loss.[/quote]

Can we really at this juncture :smt017
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Tomvardell wrote:-
I would rest the lot and use our squad to the full. We can take a loss.
Shame on you! Wash your mouth out sir

Tigers did not become the club we are with attitudes like that.
A life long Tiger
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

Of course we can take a loss. Why get beat up and put our star players through another bonecrunching match by a side arguably better than us at this juncture when we have bigger European games on the horizon and more winnable league games before the aforementioned European games. A big bonus point win against Sale will suffice in our next two games in order to keep us ticking over. Anything we get at Sarries will be a bonus.
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

We are more than likely a bonus point win in Treviso and a home win against Ulster away from a home quarter in a competition we really need to win again. Plus, by the quarter final stage a whole host of missing stars should be back giving us a massive chance.
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

Of course a BP win at Treviso and Ulster could put us 1st seed, with a home Q-F against 8th seed ... most likely Sarries...but lets not get ahead of ourselves...
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I take issue with Tom Varndell on what he syas about the team for Sarries. This means the demeaning of the Aviva premiership in favour of the Heineken cup. No
every season our first priority should be finishing in the top 4 preferrably the top 2 of the Aviva. If we get the extra bonus of a European final that is it, just a bonus. The Aviva is our bread & butter and we should always stay focussed on that.
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

Noddy555 wrote:every season our first priority should be finishing in the top 4 preferably the top 2 of the Aviva. If we get the extra bonus of a European final that is it, just a bonus.
Even if its the last ever Heineken Cup ? :smt002