if a player tries to pass back

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

APJones
Gold Member
Gold Member

if a player tries to pass back

Post by APJones »

if a player tries to pass back but the ball is taken by a player of the opposing who is between the the player trying to pass back to his team mate , Then surely the player of the opposing team was offside. That's what happenend to us in the Montpellier game. in the first half , :smt017
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apjones/collections/72157604067869830/
JOIN the Leicester Tigers Rugby photo group on Flickr LINK ABOVE
APJos and pit15
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: if a player tries to pass back

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

there is no offside in open play
APJones
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by APJones »

I haven't even mentioned the referee I just thought that all the players of each team had to be behind the ball in order to play it.

Note, the previous comment has been deleted , I think it was from an Ulsterman reckoned that I was criticising the ref. for some dodgy decisions !
Last edited by APJones on Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
APJos and pit15
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

There should be
Norfolk & Goode
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Norfolk & Goode »

If a ball carrier runs past a defender, that defender can intercept the ball provided he is immediately on route to tackling or getting back in front of the ball carrier. However he cannot do so ie 'interfere with play' after a line out, ruck or maul, he must retire first to an onside position before playing the ball or player.
Johnnyg

Post by Johnnyg »

[/quote] a player tries to pass back but the ball is taken by a player of the opposing who is between the the player trying to pass back to his team mate , Then surely the player of the opposing team was offside. That's what happenend to us in the Montpellier game. in the first half ,
Norfolk & Goode wrote:If a ball carrier runs past a defender, that defender can intercept the ball provided he is immediately on route to tackling or getting back in front of the ball carrier. However he cannot do so ie 'interfere with play' after a line out, ruck or maul, he must retire first to an onside position before playing the ball or player.
Wrong, AP Jones, I am afraid. As is the bit from N&G about "providing he is on (sic) route to tackling or getting back in front" The opposing player can stand where he wants in open play even after a tackle. Providing the tackle situation does not turn into a ruck or maul, where off side rules apply, anyone can stand anywhere. There is no off side line at the tackle, until other players join to turn it into a ruck or maul. The player who took the ball from Kitchener could perfectly lawfully have been standing on our try line and caught the ball there, providing he did not arrive there from an off side position at a previous breakdown or re-start.
Tigerref

Post by Tigerref »

In open play there is no offside.

Offside lines (and zones) get created as follows;

Ruck
Maul
Lineout
scrum
Kicks (where a line and a 'zone' get created)

Tackles don't create an offside line (but do create a 'gate' which non taklers (other players in law) must enter via).

Simple this game of ours isn't it!
Norfolk & Goode
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Norfolk & Goode »

What i've said is correct, just lost in translation a little! my fault. I'm referring to open play and have not mentioned a tackle which doesn't affect the offside situation in any way unless the ruck or maul is formed. In open play any player can be anywhere but at their risk of being put immediately offside by a ruck/maul forming, which is why players generally retreat to behind the ball carrier.

That Montpellier player was perfectly legal provided he started in an onside position before moving to receive the pass.

Then comes another debate of when a ruck is formed, all these players loitering on the wrong side of the ruck pretending to keep out of the way of the ball, but in effect part blocking either physically or visually the ball release. All teams guilty of that one.
Tigerref

Post by Tigerref »

Norfolk & Goode wrote:What i've said is correct, just lost in translation a little! my fault. I'm referring to open play and have not mentioned a tackle which doesn't affect the offside situation in any way unless the ruck or maul is formed. In open play any player can be anywhere but at their risk of being put immediately offside by a ruck/maul forming, which is why players generally retreat to behind the ball carrier.

That Montpellier player was perfectly legal provided he started in an onside position before moving to receive the pass.

Then comes another debate of when a ruck is formed, all these players loitering on the wrong side of the ruck pretending to keep out of the way of the ball, but in effect part blocking either physically or visually the ball release. All teams guilty of that one.
That's quite simple.

A ruck is a phase of play where one or more players from each team, who are on their feet, in physical contact, close around the ball on the ground.

What makes it complex is the first man arriving BEFORE the ruck forms (the jackler) who can keep his hands on the ball if he gets them on it before it starts.

Personally I feel that has caused more problems that it's fixed
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Absence of offside in open play would be why crossing is an offence of obstruction rather than offside.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Tigerref

Post by Tigerref »

h's dad wrote:Absence of offside in open play would be why crossing is an offence of obstruction rather than offside.

Spot on - it's short hand but can lead to confussion.

If there's oppo no player near and then 'cross'there's no offence.

There's a few examples of language like this that can be unhelpful
APJones
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by APJones »

In the case I am referring to was a few metres short of their try line near the corner, Our player had the ball and turned to face the tigers half ie. his back towards the Montpelier try line to pass the ball back along the tigers line of players . The Montpelier player came around ours and nicked the ball. This resulted soon afterwards in their try.
(I haven't watched the replay yet so details may be hazy ) , as I said originally I thought all players must be behind the ball or game line in order to play the ball. Tackling is another matter of course - in this place our our player was not tackled.
APJos and pit15
Johnnyg

Post by Johnnyg »

APJones wrote:In the case I am referring to was a few metres short of their try line near the corner, Our player had the ball and turned to face the tigers half ie. his back towards the Montpelier try line to pass the ball back along the tigers line of players . The Montpelier player came around ours and nicked the ball. This resulted soon afterwards in their try.
(I haven't watched the replay yet so details may be hazy ) , as I said originally I thought all players must be behind the ball or game line in order to play the ball. Tackling is another matter of course - in this place our our player was not tackled.
It doesn't matter AP Jones, it was open play so the opposition can stand where they want to. There is no rule that players must be behind the ball in open play, they could stand 50m ahead of the ball.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I believe the only exception to this is the lazy runner offence, but I think that can only be from a ruck/maul etc. I am sure I will be corrected by the more learned posters than little ole meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Hehehehehehehehe