'Tis the season to be stupid!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BJ.
Super User
Super User

'Tis the season to be stupid!

Post by BJ. »

A message to all those who walk south on the right side of Aylestone Road after a match - please use your eyes! I have lost count of the number of times people have blindly followed those in front of them without checking for traffic trying to turn out of Brazil Street, Sawday Street or Hazel Street.

Also, to those who use the pedestrian crossing at the Walnut Street junction ... the red man means don't cross, I don't see how it can be made any simpler for you! I came very close to collecting a couple of new bumper badges yesterday because two idiots decided to cross on red.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 'Tis the season to be stupid!

Post by tb1 »

In truth the police should just close the roads around the stadium for 20-30 mins after the final whistle to allow the area to clear. There have been plenty of accidents which could be avoided.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

No,people should just use their eyes. We are nannied enough as it is
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

tb1 wrote:In truth the police should just close the roads around the stadium for 20-30 mins after the final whistle to allow the area to clear.
These are major roads in and out of the city. It would be lunacy to try and close them for the time period you suggest. Also, it would mean anyone wanting to use these roads would need a working knowledge of the Tigers' fixture list so as to know the times and dates they could expect the closures.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

A I recall there are no traffic or pedestrian lights on the Brazil Street junction.

So cars wishing to turn out onto Aylestone Road have to give way to vehicles (and by inference pedestrians) already on Aylestone Road. Just because the pavement is suspended at the junction it doesn't mean the Highway code is!
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

mol2 wrote:So cars wishing to turn out onto Aylestone Road have to give way to vehicles (and by inference pedestrians) already on Aylestone Road. Just because the pavement is suspended at the junction it doesn't mean the Highway code is!
The point I'm making about Brazil, Sawday and Hazel Streets is people are simply walking across the mouth of the junction without checking for traffic first. They are basically 'thumb up bum and brain in neutral' and with a complete lack of awareness of what's happening around them. Everybody should be responsible for their own actions.

You say the Highway Code should still apply at these junctions: so should the Green Cross Code. If a car is stood at a junction waiting to join the flow of traffic on the main road, is it really asking too much for a pedestrian to walk behind it? I always do but then again I keep my eyes and ears open.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Yes and no - a drivers we are expected to know and understand the Highway code.
Likewise for cyclists.
However pedestrians are not expected to know the highway code and they have priority over the road users who are effectively crossing the pavement.

Us drivers just have to mindful that many have enjoyed a few with the game and assume their judgement may be suspect.

Personally I park away from the ground so I don't get snarled in the crowd.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Please! Who in their right mind walks out in front of a moving car? Even when I've 'enjoyed a few', I've always had the common sense to check for traffic before crossing a road.

I park at the Electricity Sports Cricket Club ground and usually exit from Brazil Street onto Aylestone Road as I'm heading for the A50 north to the M1. As I said before, everybody should be responsible for their own actions, whether they be motorists, cyclists or pedestrians.
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

It's a bit of a game crossing the Aylestone Road.

As said earlier it is people first and drivers beware.
APJones
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by APJones »

It's not only fans that walk across roads at tee junctions - plenty of youngsters with mobile phones glued to their ears do it- so drivers have to be very vigilant too
I drive home from my new parking spot near the crisp bowl because the council have decided to put a bus lane and double yellow lines on Aylestone road (by the old gas works )where I have parked for the past 5 years or so. I was being vigilant by watching everything on the road and not watching my speed . The speed cameras are working on Aylestone road I have received my summons for being one mph over the limit (35) on what at that time of night was an empty road. first ticket in the last 15 years ,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apjones/collections/72157604067869830/
JOIN the Leicester Tigers Rugby photo group on Flickr LINK ABOVE
APJos and pit15
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

I hope that you have asked them for the photo evidence.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

APJones wrote:It's not only fans that walk across roads at tee junctions - plenty of youngsters with mobile phones glued to their ears do it- so drivers have to be very vigilant too
I drive home from my new parking spot near the crisp bowl because the council have decided to put a bus lane and double yellow lines on Aylestone road (by the old gas works )where I have parked for the past 5 years or so. I was being vigilant by watching everything on the road and not watching my speed . The speed cameras are working on Aylestone road I have received my summons for being one mph over the limit (35) on what at that time of night was an empty road. first ticket in the last 15 years ,
Maybe if you were one mph over the 35mph speed limit, it may well be that you were actually 6mph over the 30mph limit?

Cannot recall a 35mph speed limit on Aylestone rd…or anywhere else for that matter.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Isambard wrote:I hope that you have asked them for the photo evidence.
It may well vary force to force these days but in order to request access to the evidence against you, you have to plead not guilty to the alleged offence first then take it to court.

Norfolk operate this way, I know, they did it to me :smt003 :smt023
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

When I was done for 'speeding' in 2004, I asked for the photographic evidence and Derbyshire police sent it without any questions asked.

I was on a narrow road and had accelerated to overtake a cyclist so as to allow the flow of traffic in both directions. This meant my speed went up to 32mph in a 30mph zone but it was sufficient for the little man in the back of his little van to nick me.
APJones
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by APJones »

In this case the road was clear of cars so I was looking out for pedestrians (usually dressed in black ) and cyclists ( no lights ) - at about 8pm Sunday night, raining. I made the mistake of concentrating looking atthe road ahead instead of my speedo.
The only reason I mentined the 35 mph was that it is the cut off point where they do not even bother to send you a notification ie cut off point is speed limit (30) plus 10% (+3) plus 2 mph = 35 mph Apparantly at the precise momt the speed camera got me I was recorded at 36 mph - 1 metre either side of the 'flashpoint I was probably doing 30 - 32 mph . Unfortunately the speed limits were introduced when cars had cable operated skinny drum brakes, My car has the the latest dual circuit disc brakes, with ABS. Also being a motorcyclist and ex racing person and proto type car tester I have developed fast reaction times - you have to to survive on a motorbike. OK I admit I was apparantly doing 1 mph above the cut off point
but was I dangerous, did anybody get injured, did a road traffic crash occur (I don't call them accidents as that implies they could not be avoided) NO to all but apparantly I was unsafe.
I still have a clean license after 40 years of driving. But now faced with a £100 pound fine and attending a speeed awareness course. Bit of joke really when I have safely driven at 198 mph in a Bugatti veyron and regularly at 155 mph in single seat race cars. All with out incident. But of course we can't have one rule for idiots texting, smoking or drinking coffee whilst driving and another for professional drivers who once in 40 years stray one mph over the deemed safe speed of 35mph.
Speed cameras are money generating machines for the industry they have spawned - they are not road safety related. The majority of times on the Aylestone road after a match you crawl along at 5 mph and 10 mph would be dangerous ! This time it ewas a long time after the game and the road was devoid of traffic.
I shall ask for photographic evidence and also a copy of the calibration certificate, I might aswell get something for my 100 quid !

NEXT SEASON BECAUSE OF PARKING AND TRAFFIC DIFFULTIES IN LEICESTER I AM CONTEMPLATING NOT RENEWING MY SEASON TICKET BUT STAYING AT HOME 45 MILES AWAY AND WATCHING THE GAMES ON TV a great pity.
Last edited by APJones on Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apjones/collections/72157604067869830/
JOIN the Leicester Tigers Rugby photo group on Flickr LINK ABOVE
APJos and pit15