Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

drc_007
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Glaws

Post by drc_007 »

Big Dai wrote:
fleabane wrote:Swgy - what is your opinion of YBY's current performances?
There is a disease sweeping through the game where the 9 stands at the back of the ruck, flapping his arms like a demented seagull, appealing to the ref instead of playing to the whistle and getting on with the game. Youngs is doing too much of the former and not enough of the latter!
I'm afraid that is the current coaching strategy, I don't particularly like it but it seems to be the norm for coaches from the top down.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I entirely agree with Skin and Muscle, perhaps Tigerbeat should book an urgent appointment with his optician.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Have just watched it again..happens at about 17 minutes in the first half
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

Northeast Tiger wrote:
fleabane wrote:When will YBY start to understand that waiting, looking around and taking his time to organise his options at the base of a ruck also allows the opposition to not only organise themselves, but also to drive over, and turnover the ball?

Mele still our best 9!

Flood coming back into his own at 10.

Adam Adament Lives!
Totally agree Fleabane. Ben Youngs is going backwards with his play. The talk on here is to send Benjamin and Thompstone to play at Nottingham, where as the person who would benefit the most is Young Ben Youngs !!!
It's a great shame to see the way Ben's career is going. He has so much talent, and I am sure he is very dedicated. But he has been overplayed, had inadequate post season breaks, and played though injuries.

The 2011 WC passed him by, as did the Lions this year, and the way things are going 2015 could easily pass him by.

I really wish he would be left out of the NZ tour this summer and given a real proper break for a proper run at 2014/15 domestic season and the WC.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Completely disagree with the negative comments about B. Youngs. In either 22 our play is sharp and difficult for anyone to live with, everyone want's the ball and we step up a gear. A 9 needs targets to hit and space to operate well. In the middle of the park players often go through the motions. Locks hanging out near the wing and taking advantage of space that they should be providing to their centres. You do the hard graft mate and I will take the headlines!
Cheery chappy
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

The Boy Dave wrote:
what is your opinion of YBY's current performances?
If I may I would offer an opinion on this one!
Youngs appears fine with Flood. Flood is a very commanding heads up player, he calls and you give him the ball, if he doesn't call then he will still have a go and create. Apart from Flood very little initiative is being shown. Youngs is quite capable of mixing things up, he is looking for something different other than passing the buck to Flood constantly. It is too easy to read the same plays all the while, that is why play goes lateral so often. This looking and waiting at the breakdown is an invitation for someone to do something different other than having to wait for Flood to be ready constantly!
As much as I like Mele he was found out a few weeks back and kept getting snagged at the breakdown. I forget who we were playing but the stopped committing to the breakdown and concentrated of hitting Mele. Youngs can be slow at times but this can suit his unpredictability. Teams are aware that he often assesses his options first but the times he goes with instinct are the times he sees the gap and does most damage. His pass is also faster than most so it allows for him to take a step and with flood playing flat, youngs can decide which is the best receiver. The try on Friday was created throuh this as he delayed his pass, allowed flood to drift and then miss all the ball carriers who had held the inside defenders, including wood. We all want to see his raw unregulated energy but instead we are seeing his improving game management.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

drc_007 wrote:
Big Dai wrote:
fleabane wrote:Swgy - what is your opinion of YBY's current performances?
There is a disease sweeping through the game where the 9 stands at the back of the ruck, flapping his arms like a demented seagull, appealing to the ref instead of playing to the whistle and getting on with the game. Youngs is doing too much of the former and not enough of the latter!
I'm afraid that is the current coaching strategy, I don't particularly like it but it seems to be the norm for coaches from the top down.
Too much like Wendy Ball for me! A few more yellow cards for whingeing at the ref are required. The Welsh and Aussies were all at it last night!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Noddy555 wrote:I don't know which replays tigerbeat was watching but the one I saw showed the ball going behind the corner post flag high and therefore becoming a dead ball meaning a defending side dropout.
Ditto - I've looked at it in some detail and there is nothing to suggest that tigerbeat's assertion has any merit whatsoever.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

The reason I thought Miles looked a bit out of place was exactly because of that, he was frequently out of place. Not too worried that a speculative pass went wrong, Floody did the same, what bothers me is a wing should be aware of where his full back is and drop back if needed. In one situation he stopped in front of Bubbles who had to gather and kick, if Miles (who had time too)had dropped behind him we had another option. He also stands and watches the game a bit, nothing desperate to correct that game time won't put right. He looks a classy player who displays natural talent, just needs honing a bit and maybe the Heineken Cup is not the place for someone not quite there yet in his recovery to full match speed. That is what I meant by a loan for some game time, just to keep his recovery up, oh and I happen to think he has a rugby brain, just one that's not quite up to speed yet. I also agree that he has all the making of a first class Tigers winger.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Benjamin looks exactly the same as Tait did at this stage of his comeback - rusty. He'll get better fast. What I was impressed with, both on Friday and against LI, was watching him run down speedy wingers from behind who'd appeared to get beyond the defence.
amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by amazing tiger »

Adam Adament Lives![/quote]
Totally agree Fleabane. Ben Youngs is going backwards with his play. The talk on here is to send Benjamin and Thompstone to play at Nottingham, where as the person who would benefit the most is Young Ben Youngs !!![/quote]
why would you send our first choice nine to nottingham and also with the injury crisis we have we cant afford to loan any players out!!!!!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

DickyP wrote:
Noddy555 wrote:I don't know which replays tigerbeat was watching but the one I saw showed the ball going behind the corner post flag high and therefore becoming a dead ball meaning a defending side dropout.
Ditto - I've looked at it in some detail and there is nothing to suggest that tigerbeat's assertion has any merit whatsoever.
Which side of the corner flag did the ball go out? Benjamin was outside the in goal are and the ball bounced back in the direction from where it came and went into touch. I have always thought that the line out is from where the ball crossed the touchline.......forgive me if I am wrong.
www.matthampson.co.uk
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Tigerbeat wrote:
DickyP wrote:
Which side of the corner flag did the ball go out? Benjamin was outside the in goal are and the ball bounced back in the direction from where it came and went into touch. I have always thought that the line out is from where the ball crossed the touchline.......forgive me if I am wrong.
Absolutely correct - and it hit the goal side of the corner flag on the way out! Ie, the in-goal side of the line. Thus defeating your own argument.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

I did not notice it catch the corner post..........if that is the case I accept the argument and it should have been a 22 drop out.

Thanks for clarifying that.

:smt023
www.matthampson.co.uk
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I though the flags no longer count as in or out?

As for YBY I thought he looked sharper and looking to run with the ball.
Yes - too much flapping of arms and wailing at the ref when he could get the ball out which is frustrating.