Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Transfer Rumours Thread 2013/2014 Season

Post by sapajo »

RagingBull wrote:
tigerinireland wrote:Any body care to tell me the likelihood of re-signing Pablo Matera? He is a huge talent and re-signing would go a long way towards ensuring our future prosperity.
Depends with the Cap rise we may be able to re-sign him, depends if he will want to stay or not.
The Cap rise does not automatically mean we can or indeed will spend upto it.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
tigerinireland

Post by tigerinireland »

sapajo wrote:
RagingBull wrote:
tigerinireland wrote:Any body care to tell me the likelihood of re-signing Pablo Matera? He is a huge talent and re-signing would go a long way towards ensuring our future prosperity.
Depends with the Cap rise we may be able to re-sign him, depends if he will want to stay or not.
The Cap rise does not automatically mean we can or indeed will spend upto it.
One might expect that will be the case though, given how we havr managed the cap in the past. Tigers have a reputation of 'making the most' of the cap.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

That is true from a historical perspective. However the money has to come from somewhere and Tigers have not been making a bundle of cash lately so I am not convinced. We do not have rich owners, like Bath, Saracens,Saints and now London Irish.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

You do a disservice to Saints there Sapajo - They have a very a sound business model much like ours.

Also we have been making money - and we have always been pro-upping the cap so I'd be gob smacked we wouldn't spend up to an increased cap given we've always spent up to the current one.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

kornboy130 wrote:You do a disservice to Saints there Sapajo - They have a very a sound business model much like ours.
Nothing to do with the Barwell family fortune then Kornboy?
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GT1 »

tigerinireland

Post by tigerinireland »

sapajo wrote:That is true from a historical perspective. However the money has to come from somewhere and Tigers have not been making a bundle of cash lately so I am not convinced. We do not have rich owners, like Bath, Saracens,Saints and now London Irish.
My understand is that the cap increase is somewhat proportional to a rise in TV rights money. I hope we manage to keep hold of him, we are stacked in the back row.

Though I am not giving up on this season, I am excited for next.
Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hinckley Bob »

GT1 wrote:Ewers resigns for Chiefs!
http://www.exeterchiefs.co.uk/news/ewer ... iefs-deal/
I was excited that we might be getting him, only to find that he has re-signed!
snoopster

Post by snoopster »

kornboy130 wrote:You do a disservice to Saints there Sapajo - They have a very a sound business model much like ours.
Now they do - they got to this position through a lot of money coming in from the Barwell's bank account, and I believe a stand or two from Travis Perkins.
It is a lot like when Exeter are held up as a model for Championship teams to follow, without mentioning step one - Get a rich guy to buy you a state of the art stadium, then start making money from it.
Also we have been making money - and we have always been pro-upping the cap so I'd be gob smacked we wouldn't spend up to an increased cap given we've always spent up to the current one.
agreed on this - I've always understood Tigers have made enough to have spent more on wages, so I would think it unlikely this wouldn't be the case now.
Cohen recently said he thought Tigers were the only side making full use of the cap's various allowances, as it is.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Radio 5 have reported Bath have signed Henry Thomas from Sale and Nick Auterac from Saracens.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

God sapajo on some post you go on about signing someone like halfpenny then you say tigers may not be able to spend up to the cap.

I doubt Cohen and cockers would demanding a cap rise to compete against the French clubs, if they couldn't get the funds to spend it, as Cohen has already said we spend the most money on players out of all the teams because we are the only club to use all the extra caps, don't know about the other extra cap other than Injury but Cohen is a mastermind at this sort of stuff.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

RagingBull wrote:God sapajo on some post you go on about signing someone like halfpenny then you say tigers may not be able to spend up to the cap.
No, in fact what I have said is that Tigers may not be able to spend upto the new cap. And as for Leigh Halfpenny that wish was then and now nothing more than a pipedream and indeed it was stated prior to the cap increase.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

sapajo wrote:
Nothing to do with the Barwell family fortune then Kornboy?
The set up was but they are now a self sufficient entity. Unlike the others on your list.

I would fully expect we utilise the upped cap - and imagine we have known about it for a while before the press announcement.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

£500,000 on the salary cap = three first team players or international players or it could be four or five squad players always assuming that existing players do not request a salary increase when re-negotiating new contracts. Of course the money has to be found, Tigers made a small percentage profit last year but the previous year they lost over £1000,000 due to the effects of the world cup. The next world cup is next year and may have an effect on our staffing requirements. I know we will not play during the competition but we will immediately after and possibly just before and international player may not be available to us at that time.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I suspect that Tigers may find that player wage expectations are massaged upwards by their agents, so it won't go as far as we think.
PS heard that Irish are in the market for Bozza with their new cash.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.