mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: Transfer Rumours Thread 2013/2014 Season

Post by mol2 »

RagingBull wrote:
chinnjamie wrote:
Lote Tuqiri were pretty big!
I don't really count Tuqiri as a signing he was more of an medical joker imo.

Mauger was prob the last big name, but I think some supporters believe we should sign the likes of Halfpenny, O'Brien, Cruden or Read.
Mauger was a disappointment - only ever half fit and consequently a turnstyle in defence. Perhaps that is what has put us off big name signings?
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Mauger did have a significant affect on the squad as a senior, experienced All Black however. Seemed like a brilliant guy to have around the squad. Even if we didn't get all of the best out of him on the pitch, some of that would definitely have been compensated by his influence off the pitch and on the training ground. Wish he was still around.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

kelmat wrote:With all the rumours flying about, based on who is being reported coming to Welley Rd next season, what do people think our starting 15 would/could/should be ?? (fantasy food for thought !)
I find that to difficult would prefer to do what sort of squad.

Ayerza, Di Marchi, Logo, Bristow (Brugnara)
OTY, Hawkins, Thacker, Briggs (Farnworth)
Cole, Logo, Baimaln, (Pasquali)
Slater, Parling, Kitchener, Deacon, De Cheves (Cain, Price)
Croft, Mafi, Gibson (Wells)
Salvi, Matera, Gibson (Owen)
Fonua, Crane, Pearce, Gibson Loamanu
YBY, Mele, Harrison, (Steele)
Williams, Burns, Bai
Allen, Bowden, Heptema, Pohe
Manu, Campagnaro, Loamanu, Camacho, Pohe
Benjamin, Morris, Scully, Thompstone, Loamanu, Camacho
Tait, Morris, Loamanu, Scully.

That's if we get Loamanu, and maybe fonua (Less Likely) and Di marchi though thats down to Toulon and Sheridan and Campagnaro.

Would mean cap replacement wise

stanko ------> Di Marchi (Would cost more)
Waldrom -------> Fonua/Pearce (prob the same)
Flood ---------> Burns (reckon cost less imo)
Lamb -----------> Bai (prob the same due to Bai's age)
Goneva -----------> Campagnaro ? ( be More)
Hamilton (is he retiring) ----------> Loamanu ? (Maybe the same due to current club playing for)
Chuter ------------> Thacker (Reckon will be more, as Chuter signed a special deal)

and with a £500,000 increase we should be able to extend some contracts.

I also reckon Catchpole and Purdy will leave end of season. and maybe Wells.

But really we need to find a Prop that's isn't going to be a International feature.

who else contract is up

Bowden, Hawkins, Hamilton, Matera, Scully.
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

How long was Camacho's contract? Will he ever be fit before it ends?
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

RagingBull wrote:
Ayerza, Di Marchi, Logo, Bristow (Brugnara)
OTY, Hawkins, Thacker, Briggs (Farnworth)
Cole, Logo, Balmain (Pasquali)
Slater, Parling, Kitchener, Deacon, De Chaves (Cain, Price)
Salvi, Matera, Gibson (Owen)
Crane, Pearce, Loamanu
YBY, Mele, Harrison (Steele)
Williams, Burns, Bai
Allen, Bowden, Hepetema, Pohe
Manu, Campagnaro, Loamanu, Camacho
Benjamin, Morris, Scully, Thompstone, Loamanu, Camacho
Tait, Morris, Scully, Hamilton.

That's if we get Loamanu, and maybe Fonua (less likely) and Di marchi, though that's down to Toulon and Sheridan, and Campagnaro.

Would mean cap replacement wise

Stanko ------> Di Marchi (Would cost more)
Waldrom -------> Fonua/Pearce (prob the same)
Flood ---------> Burns (reckon cost less imo)
Lamb -----------> Bai (prob the same due to Bai's age)
Goneva -----------> Campagnaro ? ( be More)
Hamilton (is he retiring) ----------> Loamanu ? (Maybe the same due to current club playing for)
Chuter ------------> Thacker (Reckon will be more, as Chuter signed a special deal)

And with a £500,000 increase we should be able to extend some contracts.

I also reckon Catchpole and Purdy will leave end of season. And maybe Wells.

But really we need to find a Prop that's isn't going to be a International feature.

Who else's contract is up?

Bowden, Hawkins, Hamilton, Matera, Scully.

By the look of that squad, Loamanu stands out to me as a very useful utility player in terms of squad strength, so if we get him I'd be pretty chuffed.

I think out of those 5 at a guess I reckon we may well sign 3, with Bowden and Hamilton leaving, Bai playing as 3rd pick 10 and back-up 12, allowing the 2 youngsters to get some game time. That would leave Matera, Scully and particularly Slater's contract renewals, along Campagnaro and Di Marchi's contracts to fill up the rest of the cap.

I agree with you about props but not sure it would be viable if we did get Di Marchi to then get a 4/5th pick prop better than Bristow, Brugnara or Pasquali, so I'd stick with the youngsters, who held up well against Bath in the LV I seem to remember. Also, I hope we can keep Wells, from what I've seen of him he looks like a good, powerful player.
SilebyTiger

Post by SilebyTiger »

RagingBull wrote:
I also reckon Catchpole and Purdy will leave end of season. and maybe Wells.
Why on earth would we let them go? Purdy especially who is an England U20 international. He deserves at least another 2 years to have a crack at the first team. Anyone who's seen these guys in the development team know that they're very handy players.
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

SilebyTiger wrote:
RagingBull wrote: I also reckon Catchpole and Purdy will leave end of season. and maybe Wells.
Why on earth would we let them go? Purdy especially who is an England U20 international. He deserves at least another 2 years to have a crack at the first team. Anyone who's seen these guys in the development team know that they're very handy players.

I agree, the pair of them are only 20 and 19 respectively. If anything I'd be expecting Bower to either come through or not; he's actually older than both Bristow and Balmain.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

You've missed Schuster out. Whether we replace him directly, or let Pasqualli and Brugnara fill the gap between them. Rumour had it, Schusters days are numbered though.
If he could still settle, he could be the sort of experienced player, non current international, we need.

Ayerza, Di Marchi, Bristow (Brugnara)
Youngs, Hawkins, Briggs (Thacker)
Cole, Mulipola, Balmain, Schuster? (Pasqualli)
Slater, Deacon, De Chaves (Cain)
Parling, Kitchener (Price)
Salvi, Matera (Owen)
Crane, Pearce, Fonua?
Youngs, Mele, Harrison (Steele)
Burns, Williams, Bai
Benjamin, Thompstone
Allen, Bowden, Hepetema (Pohe)
Tuilagi, Smith, Campagnaro (Catchpole)
Loamanu, Scully (Purdy)
Tait, Morris
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

No Matt Smith mentioned? I can't see him going anywhere and he's a great squad player.

I'd prefer not to sign Loamano he's not going to improve and isn't going to step up to the first team. He'll just be a squad player, sure he'll be useful but it's a two year signing and after that we're back to looking for someone else. Purdy, Catchpole, Williams etc can all do a job at this level should Scully, Camacho, Morris, Benjamin and Thompstone all be unavailable. If Campagnaro signs he is quick enough to play out wide in an emergency. He would be a player capable of stepping into the first team and making things happen.

We need to start using academy players to fill the minor squad roles so we have more cash for higher quality first team imports.
kelmat

Post by kelmat »

Interesting article on the web last night, Salford rugby league club to make "mega bucks" offer to Manu to swap codes !!!
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

kelmat wrote:Interesting article on the web last night, Salford rugby league club to make "mega bucks" offer to Manu to swap codes !!!
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sp ... ilagi.html

Pigs will fly.

Marwan Koukash is seeking out publicity with these big name signings - Sam Burgess and Sam Tomkins were also on his public agenda.

Not to mention I believe Manu is under contract for another year or possibly two (depending on how "long term" his last contract was as it was described).
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Darc Tiger wrote:Mauger did have a significant affect on the squad as a senior, experienced All Black however. Seemed like a brilliant guy to have around the squad. Even if we didn't get all of the best out of him on the pitch, some of that would definitely have been compensated by his influence off the pitch and on the training ground. Wish he was still around.
Isn't that the role of the coaches?

What reason have you got for singling him out as being so much more influential than the other senior internationals in the team at the time?
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

mol2 wrote:
Darc Tiger wrote:Mauger did have a significant affect on the squad as a senior, experienced All Black however. Seemed like a brilliant guy to have around the squad. Even if we didn't get all of the best out of him on the pitch, some of that would definitely have been compensated by his influence off the pitch and on the training ground. Wish he was still around.

What reason have you got for singling him out as being so much more influential than the other senior internationals in the team at the time?
I thought it was fairly well known that he contributed significantly to the backs coaching.

Having senior players from other rugby environments influence your play is not rare - doesn't mean the coaches should be criticised and definitely shouldn't stop it from happening - they only know what they know.

That and I definitely refute that he was a turn-style in defence - we may not have seen the best from his body but his head was still very much there in shifting defences to put others in to significant space and was a large part of what made that backline tick.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I did forget some players.

The catchpole Purdy have been linked to Wuss and with they current signings I could see some truth in it.

I think Bower will go to Nottingham.

Wells is just a feeling I can think Quins are looking at him cant remember.

Just saying I can see them maybe leaving. Wasn't certain or anything.

RE Manu I cant ever seeing him moved to league.

Marwan Koukash has always talk a load of rubbish, one Manu isn't even out of contract yet and I cant see Leicester selling him.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="kornboy130"][quote="mol2"][quote="Darc Tiger"]Mauger did have a significant affect on the squad as a senior, experienced All Black however. Seemed like a brilliant guy to have around the squad. Even if we didn't get all of the best out of him on the pitch, some of that would definitely have been compensated by his influence off the pitch and on the training ground. Wish he was still around.[/quote]

What reason have you got for singling him out as being so much more influential than the other senior internationals in the team at the time?[/quote]

I thought it was fairly well known that he contributed significantly to the backs coaching.

Having senior players from other rugby environments influence your play is not rare - doesn't mean the coaches should be criticised and definitely shouldn't stop it from happening - they only know what they know.

That and I definitely refute that he was a turn-style in defence - we may not have seen the best from his body but his head was still very much there in shifting defences to put others in to significant space and was a large part of what made that backline tick.[/quote]

I agree. If you have someone of Mauger's experience and ability in the squad you would hope that he would have an influence on and off the pitch. I understand that others players such as Gibbo, Pat Howard and Geordan had similar inputs. Obviously, as in any other walk of life, there are personalities better suited to having a constructive and positive influence on others as it needs leadership qualities not inherent in everyone.
This should be seen as adding to the coaching input, not a substitute.It is something that we seem to be a little short of at the moment,imo.Although it was interesting to see Flood and Cockers sitting next to each other in the stands, having an animated discussion during the LI game.