Transfer Rumours Thread 2013/2014 Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Super User
Super User

Re: Transfer Rumours Thread 2013/2014 Season

Post by 4071 »

RagingBull wrote:
4071 wrote: But given that they don't play for the first team except in the LV Cup that would be a bit of a waste of time.
Thacker had some game time in the Wuss away game in the AP.

I reckon Pohe could've gotten time if he hadn't done his ACL during the season.
A few minutes is nothing much. There are a ton of academy players at other clubs who have made Premiership appearances this season but who are almost certainly not in the club's senior squad (Dunn, Spencer, Skuse, Fairbrother, Carrick-Smith, Gibbons, Britton, Moriarty, Billy Burns, Reynolds, Marfo, Clifford, Chisholm, Stuart, Sloan, Smallbone, Hoadley, Fowlie, Howe, Holmes, Kibirige, Harrison, Day, Glynn, Hooley, Holmes, Beaumont, Fowles, Auterac, Spurling, Hankin, Seymour and Howard, for example).

Our development squad basically just play LV Cup rugby. As is the case with development squads across the Premiership. As such it would be a waste of salary to put them under the senior squad salary cap.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

4071 wrote:
h's dad wrote:
Academy-produced youngsters (23 or under) featuring regularly (10+ games) for Premiership clubs this season:

Leicester: 1 player, 17 games
Balmain (22, 17 games)
Not sure where this list came from but wasn't Ben Youngs still 23 at the start of the season and played more than 10 games? And why 10 games? Presumably Sam Harrison qualifies for Academy credits. That's just one position.
Instead of mucking about actual dates of birth I went for birth years and excluded anyone who was 24 by the end of 2013 (anyone born before 1990). It means a few players might have missed out across several clubs (Will Fraser, Ben Youngs, Guy Mercer, George Lowe, etc).

As Ben turned 24 days after the official start of the season, he would be under the salary cap exemption. The only other first team squad players who would are Sam Harrison and Manu Tuilagi. Balmain joined when he was already 18, so wouldn't count even though I included him as an academy graduate in the list. By way of comparison, Sarries would have Farrell, Fraser, George, Kruis, Ransom and Wray.

It's possible that some of our development squad may be included in the senior squad salary (Bower? Thacker?) and most of them would qualify. But given that they don't play for the first team except in the LV Cup that would be a bit of a waste of time.

EDIT: It's not an official list. It's just a list of young home-grown players who have featured with some regularity at Premiership clubs this season. That's why 10 games and that's why it's done on year of birth. I needed lines somewhere. I could have arbitrarily made it players born in 1989 onwards who have played 8 or more games. That would add a load more players to the list (Youngs and Manu to Tigers). But I went for 1990 and 10 games as those are more rounded numbers.
You seem to have done a lot of work but for Tigers at least, the one name you did put in you claim to be wrong and you missed out everybody who should have been in there. It doesn't give me much confidence for faith in your assertions.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

h's dad wrote: You seem to have done a lot of work but for Tigers at least, the one name you did put in you claim to be wrong and you missed out everybody who should have been in there. It doesn't give me much confidence for faith in your assertions.
You seem to be under the impression that I claimed that the list was the list of players who qualify for the Academy Credit dispensation under the salary cap.

It wasn't. It was a list of young academy graduates who played 10+ games for their clubs this season.

The clue was the bit at the top of the list which stated that it was a list of young academy graduates who had played 10+ games for their clubs this season.

I understand that this could have been confusing, and I trust this clarification has helped.

The comment about the Academy Credits dispensation was a different (though related) point.
JerryGas

Post by JerryGas »

Er any chance of getting back to Transfer rumours as per the title?
Props mostly now maybe.
No more essays please!!
Jerry, Crumbie terrace season ticket holder from South Glos.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

Raging Bull has setup an alternative thread for this chaps. Transfer rumours preferably in this one please.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

kornboy130 wrote:Raging Bull has setup an alternative thread for this chaps. Transfer rumours preferably in this one please.
To be fair its saved thousands of virtual trees not having the usual moanathon on rugby rebels instead, i think the transfers page is at least 100 pages shorter than normal.

Anyway rumours ....

Henry Purdy and George Catchpole posted some vague stuff about new challenges on twitter today.

A fairly unreliable site (even more than mine!) has Michael Noone as out of contract, which seems like a sensible educated guess. If he was English I'm sure we'd be hearing the usual moans about young former age grade international cruelly passed aside despite sterling efforts in the LV and A team. But with the wrong passport it seems that doesn't matter.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Raging Bull has setup an alternative thread for this chaps. Transfer rumours preferably in this one please.
Quite right kornboy!
I am simply sick and tired of the same old waffle from certain people. For the past few years I have heard and read story after story regarding Harry Wells. Age grade international, junior world cup winner and future talent to grace WR and now he is signed on at Bedford, one way or another it is very disappointing. Folk are coming out with the same stories now about current young players. This player plays for England u18, that player is England u20, blah blah blah! Someone is not getting it right!
Cheery chappy
Mr Bean
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Mr Bean »

The Boy Dave wrote:
Quite right kornboy!
I am simply sick and tired of the same old waffle from certain people. For the past few years I have heard and read story after story regarding Harry Wells. Age grade international, junior world cup winner and future talent to grace WR and now he is signed on at Bedford, one way or another it is very disappointing. Folk are coming out with the same stories now about current young players. This player plays for England u18, that player is England u20, blah blah blah! Someone is not getting it right!
I would not say that joining Bedford is a bad thing for Wells. Mike Rayer has built up a reputation for getting the best out of young players a lot of the players that have been in his care have moved on to greater things such as Billy Twelvetrees (originally discarded by Leicester not thinking he would make the grade), Mouritz Botha, Josh Bassett, Soane Tongauiha along with a lot of the dual regisitered players such as Dan Cole, Owen Farrell, Jackson Wray and Will Fraser. Also the drop down to a lower league is is often enough to give a young player motivation to improve and push themselves.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Thank goodness it's not more on the Academy !!!! :censored:. Transfer News.
Ian Humphreys Ex Tiger is leaving Irish to return to Ulster.
An excellent player here and a good catch for a homesick Ulsterman.
Do we now "Stand Up!"
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

sk 88 wrote: Anyway rumours ....

Henry Purdy and George Catchpole posted some vague stuff about new challenges on twitter today.

A fairly unreliable site (even more than mine!) has Michael Noone as out of contract, which seems like a sensible educated guess. If he was English I'm sure we'd be hearing the usual moans about young former age grade international cruelly passed aside despite sterling efforts in the LV and A team. But with the wrong passport it seems that doesn't matter.
Catchpole and Purdy were both linked to Wuss in TRP.

What with Pearce coming in and Milne also coming up through the Academy can see Noone leaving.
kelmat

Post by kelmat »

2 Tuialagis back in the Prem next season !!!!!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hinckley Bob »

I am in shock. Alex is back and playing against us! :smt010
Tigris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tigris »

Cockerill just confirmed Bowden is off on Radio Leicester…..
Louis

Post by Louis »

Quick aside:

Can I just thank everyone responsible for collating the information in this thread. It's been really interesting and useful.

I'm gutted to see a Tuilagi out of a Leicester shirt, esp Alesana who was always a favourite of mine. Mind you when Alex and Manu meet.... BAM! The Large Hadron Collider has less energetic collisions!