Transfer Rumours Thread 2013/2014 Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

GS
Super User
Super User

Re: Transfer Rumours Thread 2013/2014 Season

Post by GS »

I rather suspect (and hope) that playing in a game that doesn't matter for a team that's withdrawing from the competition at the end of the season had something to do with it.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
SilebyTiger

Post by SilebyTiger »

doogie wrote:It's a bit worrying that 3 of our rumoured new signings (Loamanu, Barbieri & Ghiraldini) from Treviso, played in the 62-7 thrashing by Leinster this weekend. Are we really strengthening our squad with these players or just buying another load of Jerrome Schuster's who will never be heard of until they get loaned out somewhere else?
This!

We're filling the squad with far too many average players and in the case of Barbieri and Ghiraldini, these will be away during the internationals. Why we are signing Ghiralini and letting Hawkins go is beyond me, unless the idea is to rush Thacker through.
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

SilebyTiger wrote:
doogie wrote:It's a bit worrying that 3 of our rumoured new signings (Loamanu, Barbieri & Ghiraldini) from Treviso, played in the 62-7 thrashing by Leinster this weekend. Are we really strengthening our squad with these players or just buying another load of Jerrome Schuster's who will never be heard of until they get loaned out somewhere else?
This!

We're filling the squad with far too many average players and in the case of Barbieri and Ghiraldini, these will be away during the internationals. Why we are signing Ghiralini and letting Hawkins go is beyond me, unless the idea is to rush Thacker through.
Unfortunately if we had signed a Hawkins type player lots of people would be complaining that we weren't making big enough signings and that we were falling behind. The Schuster incident isn't really relevant as the reason he struggled was becauase the new rules didn't suit him. He was clearly a solid player before the rule changes otherwise we wouldn't have signed him. I don't really understand your argument. You don't like how our squad is full of 'average' players, yet you complain when we sign internationals? Nothing is won during the 6 nations and having quality internationals will help us challenge later on in the season. I agree with you about Thacker though. TY and Ghiraldini will be away during the 6n so Thacker will probably be on the bench throughout that period and will get some good game time.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

SilebyTiger wrote:
This!

What short memories some have. Loamanu caused us all sorts of bother both at home and away (playing the backs and the forwards respectively) when we played Treviso - whilst Barbieri and Ghiraldini are proven international operators.

It is really strange how people feel confident saying "oh it's just another bunch of Schusters" (about established test players and players which pose obvious threats) - but never say "Oh it's just another load of Gibsons, Meles and Williams'". But if you've posted here more than 5 minutes you understand this board if generally a place of profound pessimism where people feel comfortable writing off players before they've even arrived - despite substantial evidence to the contrary.

Only at Tigers could fans find a way to complain about replacing a 31 year old honest clubman with a 29 year old 64 cap international who has performed consistently and highly on the test stage.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

kornboy130 wrote:[
What short memories some have. Loamanu caused us all sorts of bother both at home and away (playing the backs and the forwards respectively) when we played Treviso - whilst Barbieri and Ghiraldini are proven international operators.

It is really strange how people feel confident saying "oh it's just another bunch of Schusters" (about established test players and players which pose obvious threats) - but never say "Oh it's just another load of Gibsons, Meles and Williams'". But if you've posted here more than 5 minutes you understand this board if generally a place of profound pessimism where people feel comfortable writing off players before they've even arrived - despite substantial evidence to the contrary.

Only at Tigers could fans find a way to complain about replacing a 31 year old honest clubman with a 29 year old 64 cap international who has performed consistently and highly on the test stage.
Very well put, have to say I could not have been that polite, the phrase "pondlife" springs to mind.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Loamanu, Barbieri, Rizzo & Ghiraldini are quality players who will give Cockers more selection problems, its superb recruitment by the Tigers, Castro came to the tigers from Calvisano as a nobody and left as a legend, I think Loamanu could be the signing of next season, a monster of a player who can play in so many positions, add him to Manu and Goneva and we should be competing on all levels next season.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Well said Kornboy

This season, Scull, Gibson, Mele and Williams have proved to be great signings.

But all last season it was why aren't we signing international players.

Now we are signing
Burns (England International, played a good game yesterday)
Bai (Fijian international, look at the Castres forum and you will see how much he means to them and how well he plays)
Loamanu (Japanese international, Caused all sorts of trouble against us plays 6,8,13,11/14,15 excellent depth player)
Rizzo (Italian international LH, on the Italian bench behind the excellent Di Marchi who would cost twice as much imo)
Barbieri Italian 2nd choice 8, 1st choice 7 how is that a bad pick.
Finally the best till last Ghiraldini him, Castro and Parisse have been the glue that has held the Italian team together for the past 5 years, and have helped them produce shock wins. Ghiraldini has constantly been in the top 3 NH international hookers for ages, mobile, great scrummanger and excellent thrower, could push OTY for starting shirt and will improve Youngs even more.

Briggs played very well against Quins I though considering it his first time playing with some of that pack. And Thacker has played well when given the chance, cockers obviously trusts him and I think he knows a thing or two when it comes to hookers.

Here a team of signing vs a team of leavers since the 2010 season including this years not including retiees.
Signings team
1) Rizzo (31) Vs Stankovich (34)
2) Ghiralini (29) Vs Hawkins (31)
3) Mulipola (24) Vs Castrogiovanni (31)
4) Kitchener (22) Vs Skivington (29)
5) Slater (21) Vs Green (21)
6) Mafi (21) Vs B. Deacon (28)
7) Salvi (25) Vs Moody (31)
8) Barberi (29) Vs Waldrom (30)
9) Mele (27)vs Young (24)
10) Williams (21) Vs Ford(21)
11) Morris (22) Vs Agulla (27)
12) Bai (35) Vs Twelvetrees (23)
13) Goneva (28) Vs Hipkiss (29)
14) Benjamin (24) Vs Tualigi (31)
15) Tait (25) Vs Amorosino (25)

16) Briggs (28) vs Stevens (23)
17) Balamin (19) Vs Brookes (23)
18) Bristow (22) Vs Harris (23)
19) De Cheves (23) Vs Andrew
20) Gibson (22) Vs Everard (19)
21) Vs Grindal (30)
22) Burns (23) vs Flood (28)
23) Scully (26) vs Lewington (22)

Some bigger names I may have missed. () shown ages when they signed/Leaved.

only really positions 3 and 12 are better than the signings of the same position imo.

So people need to stop imo saying are recruiting has been poor.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Wasps Rugby have signed Italian prop Lorenzo Cittadini from Benetton Treviso as tweeted by Premiership Rugby today.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I don't think the Schuster signing can be compared to any of the ones for next season.

He was a cheap gamble that didn't pay off. He's a player who briefly reached international level before losing form drastically. Certainly before the new engagement laws came in, so that's not the reason.

Some gambles pay off - Salvi for one who looked pretty ordinary for his previous clubs yet has been our outstanding player over the past few seasons.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I still want confirmation that we have bought or are in the process of buying a quality number 8 to back up Jordan Crane, many names have been banded about but as I gather no firm action has yet ensued. Come on Cockers get your finger out.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Noddy555 wrote:I still want confirmation that we have bought or are in the process of buying a quality number 8 to back up Jordan Crane, many names have been banded about but as I gather no firm action has yet ensued. Come on Cockers get your finger out.
Lets not go through this again no new signings have been confirmed and won't be until Late May earliest, the players linked to us by the mercury will be coming.

It's been like that for ages and cohen has his reasons.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

Noddy555 wrote:I still want confirmation that we have bought or are in the process of buying a quality number 8 to back up Jordan Crane, many names have been banded about but as I gather no firm action has yet ensued. Come on Cockers get your finger out.
Have a read of the first post in this thread. The "confirmed" section ought to be of assistance.

Laurence Pearce - No.8 - Rotherham
Robert Barbieri - Openside/No.8 - Treviso

Are the signings we have made at 8.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

JerryGas

Post by JerryGas »

So we must still be in the market for a prop or two.
Jerry, Crumbie terrace season ticket holder from South Glos.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Worcester signing a number of Tigers players ala Bath!
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity