Transfer Rumours Thread 2013/2014 Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Transfer Rumours Thread 2013/2014 Season

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

So the gist of what has been officially confirmed (and unofficially rumoured)
Barcella to replace Boris.
Fonua and/or Pearce to replace Waldrom.
Burns to replace Flood.
Thomas and/or Loamanu to replace Goneva.
Like for like replacements, generally younger.
Kind of sums up where we're at doesn't it?

Interested to see what happens with Schuster, if Boris goes, Barcella coming means we retain the same depth, but maybe Barcella and Schuster may help eachother.
Also, if we sign both Pearce and Fonua, who makes way along with Waldrom? Noone maybe, with Pearce taking over the project role. And what happens a regarding Matera?
I think targeting someone like Loamanu to replace Gonva's explosiveness is a good sign, someone with the x-factor.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Okay so an updated squad (With rumours, * = all but confirmed.)

LH = Ayerza, Logo/Barcella~, Schuster (Bristow)
H = Youngs, Hawkins, Briggs, (Thacker)
TH = Cole, Logo/Balmain, Schuster (Pasquali)
Lk = Slater, Kitchener, Parling, Deacon, De Cheves. (Cain, Price, Wells)
BF = Croft, Mafi, Gibason, Matera. (Wells)
OF = Salvi, Matera, Gibson. (Owen)
N8 = Fonua*, Crane, Pearce*, Loamanu~, Noone.
SH = Youngs, Mele, Harrison, (Steele)
FH = Burns *, Williams, Lamb/Stewart~
IC = Allen, Bowden, Heptema. (Pohe)
OC = Manu, Smith, Loamanu~, Camacho, Tait. (Catchpole)
W = Benjamin, Thomas*, Morris, Thompstone, Scully, Loamanu, Camacho, Smith (Purdy)
FB = Tait, Morris, Scully, Loamanu, (Humphreys)

Looking at him Loamanu may be second choice 13, he also cant play international rugby.

Out of the young lads in () I can See Dunn, Purdy and Catchpole leaving. as can I see Cain going to Nottingham. I hoping, that Pohe, Steele, Thacker, Owen, Wells, Price, Bristow and Pasquali establish themselves over the next few season. But Reckon wells may go soon (prob to quins).

That team has to much depth really in terms of cap. So I reckon there are still players who are going to be leaving. out of the names listed I reckon Noone, Harrison, Bowden and Camacho are the ones most likely to leave. Pearce for Noone, Steele For Harrison, Loamanu for Camacho. Bowden I think is up to him not the club.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

With Waldrom going we seriously need to look at the No. 8 position. If Pearce is coming this may well cover this and provide back up to Crane. Aren't we in the danger of having too many quality flankers with shortcomings in the no. 8 position?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Noddy555 wrote:With Waldrom going we seriously need to look at the No. 8 position. If Pearce is coming this may well cover this and provide back up to Crane. Aren't we in the danger of having too many quality flankers with shortcomings in the no. 8 position?

Have you not heard about Fonua? the huge Tongan 8 who is now all but confirmed to be coming.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Thanks Bully I forgot that Fonua is a no.8. If confirmed that is good news and it might prompt Steve Mafi into staying to have a Tongan National side colleague in the team.
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

RagingBull wrote:
Noddy555 wrote:With Waldrom going we seriously need to look at the No. 8 position. If Pearce is coming this may well cover this and provide back up to Crane. Aren't we in the danger of having too many quality flankers with shortcomings in the no. 8 position?

Have you not heard about Fonua? the huge Tongan 8 who is now all but confirmed to be coming.
check the video out of him demolishing JW, i think he's the definition of 'Big & Nasty'
cheers
Rich
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HErU5B-oRk this is another good video 7 mins long.

He is a monster.

Also ex tiger Callum green linked with glaws.
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

WhitecapTiger wrote:Shamelessly re-located from the unoffy:

"The Rugby Paper say today that Opeti Fonua is on his way and that wee are looking at Christian Loamanu a Treviso franker."

Fonua - bit of a unit (understatement)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrDWUGVakB4

Tongan No8, maybe Steeeeeeeeve Mafi had a word?

Loamanu we know from our recent matches against Treviso where he played in the backs, on the wing at WR and at Flanker in Treviso IIRC.

I did hear, nothing more than a terrace rumour though, that Waldrom & Crane were both on their way out, Waldrom obviously now signed for Chiefs. Not really sure about that one, and no idea when Crane's contract is up, but throw it into the mix.
My God, he is a beast!!! If you watch the clip at 2mins the scrum half takes a look and leaves it the the winger! A sensible choice....if we get him that will be a immense signing...that has warmed my cockles for next season!! :smt041
There is never any points for 2nd place...
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Martin Gillingham has tweeted

Teddy Thomas, thought to be a target for both @LeicesterTigers and @StadeToulousain, is apparently on his way to Bordeaux #Top14
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
tigerinireland

Post by tigerinireland »

sapajo wrote:Martin Gillingham has tweeted

Teddy Thomas, thought to be a target for both @LeicesterTigers and @StadeToulousain, is apparently on his way to Bordeaux #Top14
Does this not seem like a bizzare move? Is it possible his agent is trying to drive up the potential price for ouselves or Toulouse?
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

tigerinireland wrote:
sapajo wrote:Martin Gillingham has tweeted

Does this not seem like a bizzare move? Is it possible his agent is trying to drive up the potential price for ouselves or Toulouse?

Indeed just hope he does make his way to Welford Rd next season :smt023
RWA
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by RWA »

So, appreciating that this is a transfer "rumour" thread, it's pretty accurate to say that nobody is confirmed as joining Tigers next season yet - not even the "banker" Freddie Burns ?

Pearce is out for the season which could be a factor in us signing him, Fonua is dependant on relegation and Teddy appear to be potentially going elsewhere.
tigerinireland

Post by tigerinireland »

RWA wrote:So, appreciating that this is a transfer "rumour" thread, it's pretty accurate to say that nobody is confirmed as joining Tigers next season yet - not even the "banker" Freddie Burns ?

Pearce is out for the season which could be a factor in us signing him, Fonua is dependant on relegation and Teddy appear to be potentially going elsewhere.
It would be entirely accurate to say that. I think we, as Tigers fans, know not to count our chickens before they are hatched with regards to new signings.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

tigerinireland wrote:
RWA wrote:So, appreciating that this is a transfer "rumour" thread, it's pretty accurate to say that nobody is confirmed as joining Tigers next season yet - not even the "banker" Freddie Burns ?

It would be entirely accurate to say that. I think we, as Tigers fans, know not to count our chickens before they are hatched with regards to new signings.
Well said, but I believe the quality of any new signings is extremely important in determining our future success.
tigerinireland

Post by tigerinireland »

sapajo wrote:
tigerinireland wrote:

Well said, but I believe the quality of any new signings is extremely important in determining our future success.
Oh, of course. That being said, I am entirely happy with the quality of players we have been linked with. I think we may find that in a year from May our fly-half is the young Welshman.