England V's Argentina

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

SilebyTiger

Re: England V's Argentina

Post by SilebyTiger »

Jimmy Skitz wrote:Thing is isn't Daddy's boys kicking record worse then Flood's? Sky campaigned to have Flood replaced and the pillocks fell for it. Daddy's boy is a centre not a 10 yet TF keeps having to play 12, just retire Toby, Lancaster won't pick you unless Daddy's boy gets injured
If we rewind back to November 2010, an England side with Flood at 10 destroyed a very good Wallaby team. Then if we go to February/March 2011, England walloped what proved to be a great Welsh side in Cardiff, put 60 points on Italy, outplayed France and Scotland before losing in Ireland. All of that time Flood was at fly half, yet come World Cup time Lord Jonny was fit for the first time since 2007 and the demand for him to play from the media ruined Flood's international career and England's world cup chances and in the end cost MJ his job.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Fully agree. Flood took a totally unjustified hit to his rep, which often takes a bit of a knocking because he doesn't look all that conventional, but he has proven at international level, if he is given good ball from his pack, that he can run a formidable backline. Farrell and co are a waste of good work by the pack.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Ashton is a busted flush, if he plays next week Savea & Dagg will have a field day, it also wasn't a try.

Tomkins looks out of his depth, feel the AB's will of noticed.

I thought Hartley played well & probably deserves his starting place at present.

SL et al are all dim, 36 was 100% better this week but why not try Flood at 10, Fazlet at 12 this time, its just looked pre-planned...is RC writing the Sub playlist.

Matera & Marcos both played well, Matera is a real menace & I feel our long term No.8
To win is not as important as playing with style!
jonlin
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jonlin »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote:Ashton is a busted flush, if he plays next week Savea & Dagg will have a field day, it also wasn't a try.
Clearly in touch before grounding the ball. What do you expect from a show-boater.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

What an uninspiring and boring game, England's back line is pretty damn awful, only Brown and Foden showed any quality, Dickson is not an international scrum half but a good club man, Farrell same old same old, How does Ashton get a game!! Tompkins should go back and play rugby league, the forwards were solid as always, in a way i hope the AB do the noble thing and target Farrell, Tompkins and Ashton and show them for what they are, Lancaster/Farrell are taking this team backwards!!
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Re the Ashton try - I too felt he was over the line before grounding it, why was no TMO used? Why is he still picked - oh yes he's ex RL so he must be good.

Overall better than last week but not by much. Hartley will probably keep his place but need Corbs fit as neither Vunipola nor Marler can scrummage properly.

Line out was better with Parling on so he should start next week with Lawes to make the big hits.

Midfield just too pedestrian, 12T is ok as a distributor and does a lot of hard work at the rucks but needs a real play maker at 10 and someone who can break the gain line at 13 and that sure as hell isn't Farrell and Tomkins.

This obsession with Lancaster (the clues in the name)of building the core of the backs around Saffas/Northern/ex RL players is going to hurt England. How long will it be before Care is first choice SH again?

The subbing of Flood to 12 was just plain wrong.

Compared to the Welsh v SA and France v AB games this game was a notch below in speed and intensity, I can't see how our backs can live with them next week, unless they get that bug again.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

The problem with everyone in any position of influence is that they are ignoring the elephant in the room
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Unfortunately there is more than one elephant.....
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

G.K wrote:Re the Ashton try - I too felt he was over the line before grounding it, why was no TMO used?
Probably because he went to ground about 5m infield with his back to the ref. The ref is always going to assume that the ball has been grounded because 99.9% of rugby players would have grounded that ball. Ashton was lucky because the ref thought no one could be stupid enough not to get it down IMO.
Butchers Hook
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Butchers Hook »

G.K wrote:Compared to the Welsh v SA and France v AB games this game was a notch below in speed and intensity, I can't see how our backs can live with them next week, unless they get that bug again.
Just what i thought. The Welsh and AB's were offloading out of the tackle where as England were passing it on yards before committing any defenders. I wouldn't have given the 2nd (Launchbury) i think or 3rd (Ashton) trys. Without those scores Argentina could easily have won.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

I'm not Ashton's biggest fan but his form has noticeably dipped for England since Flood was dropped and the back play became less dynamic in general
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

England were 5th in IRB standings when lancaster took over. They are now 3rd and can go 2nd with a victory next week. So i am not sure by what measure people think Lancaster is taking England backwards.

and yes, Ashton clearly, 100%, got the ball grounded in time. Close but clear try.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

tig1 wrote:England were 5th in IRB standings when lancaster took over. They are now 3rd and can go 2nd with a victory next week. So i am not sure by what measure people think Lancaster is taking England backwards.

and yes, Ashton clearly, 100%, got the ball grounded in time. Close but clear try.
if you think England can win a World Cup with Daddy's Boy playing 10 you are sadly mistaken
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Its not that they are taking us backwards, its that I can't see how we are going to get any better with the current system and selections. The pack are good, probably a match for anyone on their day. The backs, are way behind what we need if we are to properly challenge NZ and SA.
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

I never said they would Jimmy. England dont have the players throughout the squad. So why people insist on comparing them to the AB's or SA is odd. They have talent on a different level.

But, since Lancaster has been in charge they have beaten Ireland, France, Italy, Scotland and Argentina at home and away. They have beaten the ABs and Australia at home and drawn in South Africa. That is a great record for a new management team and young squad.