Cipriani has the X-factor!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerBain

Cipriani has the X-factor!

Post by TigerBain »

Just read an interesting article on the ESPN website, seems Sir Clive believes that Cipriani may be the answer to England's attacking woes. He is quoted as saying that cipriani has the X-factor, I'm assuming this is a reference to his ability to work his way through the desperate tabloid grabbing ladies or ladyboys, and not his stalwart defence :smt002. Interestingly he does mention Baths Watson as a potential England 15.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Cipriani has the X-factor!

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

I don't think we can argue with that point. His move to Sale seems to have done his defence and behaviour a great deal of good. If he can sustain it over the season, it'd be great to see him rewarded with a place in England's summer touring squad.

Imagine a (new-and-improved-)Cipriani/Twelvetrees/Tuilagi midfield combination. There would be no danger of a blunt attack there.
AidanMcDowell

Post by AidanMcDowell »

Leaving aside the off-field shenanigans (of which we haven't heard all that much lately) I think we've always know what a potent threat he is in attack. If Sale have managed to strengthen his defensive game then I'd have him over Farrell in a heartbeat. The games I've seen him play this season have looked pretty impressive and I agree with Skin-and-Muscle about the exciting potential of him, 36 and Manu. But time is really starting to run out for him now. I think he would need to be in the 6 Nations squad to stand any chance of a World Cup place (or a England summer tour spot at the very least.)
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Link to article

http://www.espn.co.uk/england/rugby/story/204429.html

His backline would be

Youngs, Cipriani, Yarde, May, Tuilagi, Wade, Watson.

Would certainly ask question in attack.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

He has the X factor all right.

X Wasps, X Melbourne, X England. Enough said!

:smt005 :smt005 :smt005
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

voice of the crumbie wrote:He has the X factor all right.

X Wasps, X Melbourne, X England. Enough said!

:smt005 :smt005 :smt005

Brilliant :smt038
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I love the way prejudice gets in the way of evidence. If you watched Sale this season you would be astonished at Cipriani's workrate, especially in defence.
A late flowering but Diamond should be congratulated for his persistence. :smt038
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Dont believe Stancas would ever dare face up to Fazlet Senior and say'' Sorry Andy, I've decided to bin junior ....'' Cipriani is my new love..
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

He daren't even do with Flood in the EPS.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Watching the Sale Wuss game. Impressed with Cipriani, made two tries. To those who are sceptical I would say one word - Tait
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Few would doubt he's been a prize plonker off the field in the past which hasn't endeared him to many of us.

On the field he's been more style than substance. It could be argued that MJ picked him for England to shut the press up by demonstrating he was no where near international level at that point in his career.

Since he came to Sale he would appear to have knuckled down and improved his defense. Is he the new Messiah - in short no, but England are not awash with talent at 10. For me they should have played Burns at 10 in these AIs as he's the one that might be a real star of the future. Farrell is capable in the Wilkinson mold but not the same level by any means as JW. Flood is a good club 10 with occasional flashes of brilliance at test level who may well have had a more influential career at centre (when he looks back).

The BT pundits were suggesting he needed at least 2 years before he could return to the England fold by which time he will be 28 which for me is too old and will be a time in the world cup cycle where England should be looking to develop youngsters. There again that probably reflects one of the problems with Rugby in England in that given two players of similar ability, they will always pick the older one who's served his apprenticeship.
For me they either use him now or forget it.

Elite sport is about identifying talent young and giving them exposure whilst they are young enough to learn.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="northerntiger"]Watching the Sale Wuss game. Impressed with Cipriani, made two tries. To those who are sceptical I would say one word - Tait[/quote]

I also watched this game, which was pretty poor quality overall.
I thought Cipriani did some things well (good off-loads and some good positional kicking),but also some no so good (kicks charged down, kicks out on the full,knock-ons).He was also wrongly credited for a try- making crossfield kick.
His performance behind a fairly dominant pack against a poor Worcs team was ok, but it certainly did not justify all the smoke being blown up him by the BT team,imo.
Better performances last night by Gaskell (who was awarded MOM), and from Pennell who had a good game for Worcs in defeat.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

northerntiger wrote:Watching the Sale Wuss game. Impressed with Cipriani, made two tries. To those who are sceptical I would say one word - Tait
He certainly seems to be turning his game around? Played really well last night.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Cipriani to replace Flood? I'd accept that!
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100