tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Quins

Post by tigerburnie »

That's a stronger looking bench with some impact about it

COME ON YOU TIGERRRRrrrrrrssssss

:smt027 :smt027 :smt027
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Sometimes cockers does confuse me, Scully dropped to the bench for Hamilton rather than the under performing Thompstone, no Matera at all and the worst part Deacon stays at 4 and at Captain
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

I like Scotty but given lack of match fitness surprised Scully benched and Hamilton starts, rather than other way around... but this is a team that can and should win
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

Seem to be going for Scotty's experience over Scully - bit of a surprise, especially as the other returnees are nursed back via the bench. All the more so when you look at the potential speed of the Quins backs.
Evans at full back is interesting - will need to test him with a few high bombs!
Let's hope the forwards win the battle up front!
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Quins look in a lot worse state than us with regards injuries/internationals, tigers pack looks far superior and should dominate, evens at full back is a big weak link for them, he is no spring chicken and should be attacked at every possibility, hope the young Argentina hasn't been hit by the tigers injury jinx, tigers to win by 7.
jonnyatom5

Post by jonnyatom5 »

I'm guessing we're going to impact off the bench. Scully could really do some damage with fresh legs against tired ones. Plus I don't see Scotty lasting the whole 80, he's getting old now (JOKE!!!!).
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

they may be starting scotty in the hope he will last rather than bring him on and he doesn't last?
cheers
Rich
APJones
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by APJones »

jonnyatom5 wrote:I'm guessing we're going to impact off the bench. Scully could really do some damage with fresh legs against tired ones. Plus I don't see Scotty lasting the whole 80, he's getting old now (JOKE!!!!).

Exactly !
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apjones/collections/72157604067869830/
JOIN the Leicester Tigers Rugby photo group on Flickr LINK ABOVE
APJos and pit15
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Hamilton has a far better understanding of the game then Scully. It has been clear that Scully isn't one to sit back and there have been plenty of gaps caused by Scully not staying back whilst Morris counters. This is what Hamilton will bring into the game; and what we've missed. I am surprised though that Thompstone starts and not Benjamin.

I'm not getting overally excited about players being back until the line-ups are confirmed tomorrow.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

Looking at those line-ups, I think both sides are going to revert to stereotype. Tigers have the pack to grind out a win in the drizzle, whilst Quins have some serious gas out wide and will want to put the ball in space as much as possible. A lot depends on young Owen Williams - if he can manage the game well and play the corners, then Tigers' pack just just about edge it.

My preview and predictions for the game are here: http://www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

kpj tiger wrote:Sometimes cockers does confuse me, Scully dropped to the bench for Hamilton rather than the under performing Thompstone, no Matera at all and the worst part Deacon stays at 4 and at Captain
Could not agree more :smt023 Matera is a real shock just, simply cannot fathom this selection policy. :smt017

But hey RC says he takes full responsibility for what happens on the pitch conversely why does he not take responsibility for what does not happen on the pitch :smt011
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

I would say we are holding back on Matera as he is going to disappear next week, so let him acclimatise and learn our systems without the pressure of having to perform off the bat.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Darc Tiger wrote:I would say we are holding back on Matera as he is going to disappear next week, so let him acclimatise and learn our systems without the pressure of having to perform off the bat.
Actually I think it is good management. RC is playing the usual game, keep a reasonable position until after Xmas then let loose the dogs. I can see Matera, Kitchener, Mafi and Slater running over and round oppositions with defensive venom as well. I'd like Bowden/Smith in the centres too for similar purpose.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

[quote="TTRITH"]Hamilton has a far better understanding of the game then Scully. It has been clear that Scully isn't one to sit back and there have been plenty of gaps caused by Scully not staying back whilst Morris counters. This is what Hamilton will bring into the game; and what we've missed. /quote]
I tend to agree with this, maybe we need an experienced head amongst a fairly inexperienced back division for us.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

I also like Hamilton to start: I really do not expect him to last too long and Scully has done more than enough to cement his claim to a full time contract but is a far better bet to come on and last a majority of the 80 mins rather than Scott H who looked extremely sharp against Barf but just didn't last with his hamstring.

I actually reckon Scott will last no more than 20-30 minutes but do very well whilst there on the pitch.

I think we will (and hope we will) see Scully around for years being excellent in the same way Matt Smith is - skilful, totally reliable, an obvious first choice in at least 50% of the other Premiership teams, but not a superstar.

Remember Dave Lougheed - I expect Blaine Scully to be of similar stature by the time he finishes with Tigers.

Of course, knowing my track record as a prophet, he'll be released next week!
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."