Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Montpellier v Ulster

Post by loretta »

8 - 25 full time.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Montpellier v Ulster

Post by sapajo »

Everything went on the side of Ulster and Montpelier were pants I am sure they will not play that badly again except against us :smt002
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Ulster 8pts
Tigers 6pts
Montpellier 4pts
Treviso 0pts

That makes things interesting!

Ulster should beat Treviso at home, and probably away, beat Montpellier at home, lose to us at WR = +13pts
Montpellier may decide to concentrate on the league, so lose away to Ulster and Tigers, beat us at home, beat Treviso at home = +8pts
Tigers to win at home against Ulster and Montpellier, minimum 6 points from the away matches, both of which will be difficult = +14pts

In other words, bonus points essential, or win all our matches to top the group. It will be very close, and finishing second in this group may well not provide enough points to go through.

On our recent record of feiling to get out of the group one season but go through the next, I am afraid that the formbook may be right. :smt010

Still we must KEEP THE FAITH
Valhalla I am coming!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Indeed we KEEP THE FAITH!
Still keeping the faith!
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

I honestly thought there was a good chance the three teams would all win at home & lose away - therefore making the group winners be decided on bonus points (one of the reasons I was jumping up & down so madly at 80 mins plus last night !!)

Now it would appear that it is Ulster's pool to lose - unless we can go to France and get a win, plus denying Ulster a LBP at our place.

I can't see that happening on current form, but with a few players back by December, we have a chance - and playing Montpellier at home first and then away is the right order for us to get some momentum into the must win game in France......

Hat's off to the Ulstermen for the result (didn't see the game) :smt023 :smt010
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

fleabane wrote:Ulster 8pts
Tigers 6pts
Montpellier 4pts
Treviso 0pts

That makes things interesting!

Ulster should beat Treviso at home, and probably away, beat Montpellier at home, lose to us at WR = +13pts
Montpellier may decide to concentrate on the league, so lose away to Ulster and Tigers, beat us at home, beat Treviso at home = +8pts
Tigers to win at home against Ulster and Montpellier, minimum 6 points from the away matches, both of which will be difficult = +14pts

In other words, bonus points essential, or win all our matches to top the group. It will be very close, and finishing second in this group may well not provide enough points to go through.

On our recent record of feiling to get out of the group one season but go through the next, I am afraid that the formbook may be right. :smt010

Still we must KEEP THE FAITH
Based on last night performance at WR that is a lot of faith!!!
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

We still have a good chance of getting out the group. We have to win our remaining matches but that should not be impossible, if we beat Montpellier at home then they are out and may field a weaker side for the return journey or at least not have their heads in it 100%. Bonus points are key and imo if we win all our remaining games with 1 bonus point we will get a home quarter, not easy and on current form looks a bit far fetched but december is a long way away and with players back we may well get the job done.
Cockatrice
Tiger Cub

Post by Cockatrice »

The bonus points that you have picked up to date May yet come back to haunt Ulster and whilst it may yet come down to the last match there is still a lot of rugby to be played by then. A lot will depend if and when the French throw the towel in and you will go someway towards that by beating them at WR.

If both cancel each other out it really is up to Ulster to put the group beyond reach with 2 wins plus a bonus point or two against Treviso.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

I wouldn't bet against Treviso throwing a spanner in the works somewhere along the way.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

biffer wrote:I wouldn't bet against Treviso throwing a spanner in the works somewhere along the way.
:smt003 :smt003 :smt003

They beat Ulster at Triviso???

:smt023
Still keeping the faith!
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Agreed biffer, Treviso looked sharp, moved the ball around quickly, and went for it, especially first half. Until the pressure came on in the second half when they resorted to classic killing tactics they had been defensively pretty sound, working hard. They now have some fairly solid 'units' in the pack and their results show they can take on the bigger names in the RABO and (sometimes) get results. Imagine how we'd have been if we hadnt scored late in the half?
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

I have posted before that Treviso could spring a surprise or two. I just hope it isn't against us in January!
Valhalla I am coming!
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Well done to Ulster but Montpelier looked a very ordinary side today.

Trying to work out whether it's positive or negative from a Tigers perspective but I'll leave that until the morning. :smt017

Anyway as long as we are no more than 2 points behind Ulster come that last game in January then we'll be through - because the maximum they'll get at Welford Road is 1. :smt001
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
snipewatson

Post by snipewatson »

Bill W (2) wrote:
biffer wrote:I wouldn't bet against Treviso throwing a spanner in the works somewhere along the way.
:smt003 :smt003 :smt003

They beat Ulster at Triviso???

:smt023
Good man Bill. Your spelling and facts both equally wrong (even when biffer showed you how to spell Treviso).
They did win at Ravenhill in 2011.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

You are well named snipe . . .
Valhalla I am coming!